Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 03:17 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think there is this belief that scientists are above such common needs such as monetary gain. However, time and again, we've seen the ethical standards of scientists broken in favor of monetary gain. I do not think it is wrong to questions the proponents of climate change (or global warming or whatever they're calling it these days) when they clearly benefit greatly by their positions. Scientists, like all humans, are fallible and not above reproach. Personally, I believe the altered datasets for the climate models illustrated that point perfectly.
I would like to see the sum total of money spent on fueling the denial held up against the money spent on fueling the acceptance.

Global Warming Denial Machine

PBS FRONTLINE

Follow the money. Always follow the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 03:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I would like to see the sum total of money spent on fueling the denial held up against the money spent on fueling the acceptance.

Global Warming Denial Machine

PBS FRONTLINE

Follow the money. Always follow the money.
There's an enormous amount of money in grants (the scientists bread and butter). My point is that one cannot say scientists are free from monetary urges.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
One can actually show that all this filthy lucre is corrupting them, though. The scientific findings speak for themselves, and quality control is pretty high. Cold fusion didn't last two months, and that's without a world-wide communication network available for researchers to use to discuss the matter.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Actually, that's quite accurate and perhaps a bit too subtle for some people to realize. Climate change is very real. We have ample evidence of that occurring in times past. The real debate, and the one which may or may not be true, is if man's actions have caused adverse effects with respect to the global climate.
Yes, it's called "weather". And has been happening to this earth since waaaaay before man started using fossil fuels.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:34 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
There's an enormous amount of money in grants (the scientists bread and butter). My point is that one cannot say scientists are free from monetary urges.
The Kansas-based company and its affiliates and foundations spent almost $25 million on "organizations of the 'climate denial machine'" between 2005 and 2008, according to the report. Koch Industries and the Koch family also spent $37.9 million between 2006 and 2009. "Although Koch intentionally stays out of the public eye, it is now playing a quiet but dominant role in a high-profile national policy debate on global warming," the report concludes.

Inside Koch's Climate Denial Machine | Mother Jones

Can you find a link from opposing views that comes close to that amount spent to propagandize climate change info?

Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What a phenomenally absurdist stance! Curtailing our emissions does not equal heating our homes with animal dung or living in caves. If everyone at least chose to walk a lot more, recycle, car pool or use public transit (our buses run on used restaurant grease), not buy SUVs (oil rigs on wheels), eschew things like styrofoam, it would make a difference.
I heat and power my home with kinetic energy.
Exactly - CHOOSE. It's when our government FORCES us, based on iffy science, that you have the problem.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes, it's called "weather". And has been happening to this earth since waaaaay before man started using fossil fuels.
Yes, I agree with you. Perhaps I was too subtle.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So anyone who doesn't agree with global warming listens to Rush and Fox news? Now do you have anything to back that up or are you just getting desperate? I think I know the answer to that one.

Your link is damn funny too. China getting all serious. LOL. Your link is from '09. Their emissions have gone way up from '09 to '11 the last year IEA shows on their chart. Yeah really serious aren't they? lol

International Energy Statistics

Stanford University says "Frequent Viewers of Fox News Are Less Likely to Accept Scientists' Views of Global Warming."

http://woods.stanford.edu/sites/defa...g-Fox-News.pdf
Fox News Misleads Viewers on Climate Change -

I will post 10 sources about how Fox news misinforms its viewers about global warming if you would like.

And China's government is serious about global warming.

China's National Energy Administration said investment in solar power generation is expected to reach $39.5 billion dollars by 2015.
China's solar power investment to hit $39.5B by 2015 | ZDNet

China is investing billions of dollars in electric and hybrid cars.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/bu...0car.html?_r=0

China's government is slowing its population growth to combat global warming.
China's population policy helps slow global warming, says official

Yes China's greenhouse gas emissions are going up, but its government is taking steps to combat global warming.

Last edited by chad3; 06-24-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The Kansas-based company and its affiliates and foundations spent almost $25 million on "organizations of the 'climate denial machine'" between 2005 and 2008, according to the report. Koch Industries and the Koch family also spent $37.9 million between 2006 and 2009. "Although Koch intentionally stays out of the public eye, it is now playing a quiet but dominant role in a high-profile national policy debate on global warming," the report concludes.

Inside Koch's Climate Denial Machine | Mother Jones

Can you find a link from opposing views that comes close to that amount spent to propagandize climate change info?
Yes, the United States government. Here's a report on the budgets supporting climate change research. FY10 - around $23 BILLION.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ate_Change.pdf

ETA: I win.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You don't know the difference between climate and weather??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies