Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,386,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why was she fired?

She was being deposed, which means that she was under oath.

Would Food Network had preferred that she lied?
Pretty sure the Food Network doesn't want someone who admits to using the 'N' word representing their network. Advertisers ran from Imus for far less.

Oh, and before anyone brings up rap stars and their use of the 'N' word--grow a brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Pretty sure the Food Network doesn't want someone who admits to using the 'N' word representing their network. Advertisers ran from Imus for far less.
Harrier understands that, but do you really think that someone should be at risk for losing their job just because they honored their oath while engaged in a legal action brought by a hateful and bitter person(the former employee) intent on destroying the person giving the deposition?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 AM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Would it be any different, if black actors portray slave servants for movies, than be dressed as slave servants for this wedding? If one is negative, then shouldn't both?
Actors are paid a lot better. She thought getting actual people to pretend to be slaves would be cute. She is reeling in controversy because she doesn’t know any better. The travesty is there are places in the south were people believe her behavior is harmless. I can’t tell you the number of times I have been in or near the South and was told a “black joke” that uses the N word by a total stranger while waiting in line at McDonalds.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,441,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why was she fired?

She was being deposed, which means that she was under oath.

Would Food Network had preferred that she lied?
She was fired because they wanted to get rid of her (same as any employer can fire it employees in this country for any reason).

Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM

862 posts, read 1,639,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
yeah. that's going to happen. Ina Garten is still there with her much better recipes.

Roasted Shrimp Salad Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network

this is the best recipe food network has ever had. it is the best with fresh baked French bread. I like to make sandwiched with it.
You're opinion. I detest shrimp so I would have to disagree that it's the best recipe FN has ever had.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM

15,705 posts, read 9,468,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Seriously. Twenty years ago, you can bet there were a whole buncha southerners using that term; probably some northerners too. Cripes, if I went after someone who called me four-eyes decades ago, or that jerk who made derogatory remarks at work in the eighties, I'd say I have way too much time on my hands!
2007, actually. There seems to be some confusion over when the incident happened. In the lawsuit, it alleges that Paula D. made a comment in front of Ms. Jackson in 2007 about dressing all the "little n-words" as slaves to serve the guests at a wedding she was catering.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM

15,705 posts, read 9,468,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
She was fired because they wanted to get rid of her (same as any employer can fire it employees in this country for any reason).
Fod Network didn't actually fire her. Her contract is up very soon and they decided not to renew it.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

Oh, and before anyone brings up rap stars and their use of the 'N' word--grow a brain.
Seems having a gun to her head she could have called the punk anything.....this crime just seems to fly over everyone's head.

We all see what rap music has done for growing a brain!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Employment at will. Don't worry - the free market system will take care of Paula.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,768,676 times
I'm not up to speed on the details, but I keep waiting for Paula to offer an explanation along the lines of it was something that happened a long time ago, and I've learned my lesson and moved on. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. Her response of "Yes, of course" when asked if she'd ever used the word seemed to imply that she thought it would be odd not to have used that word.

It has been interesting watching people on Facebook respond to this controversy. First, some were all on the "Save Paula" bandwagon. Then someone sent around something saying she was a democrat and Obama supporter, and they did a 180 degree turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies