Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What different culture? What different faith? Most of them are Catholics, the largest religious group in the US. As for culture, geez, the Mexican culture is work, family, cars, possessions, Christmas, fast food, pizza. Honestly how can righties be so friggin' stupid? Mexicans are going to assimilate into US society with ease. We have already seen this in the border states. Will they leave their mark? Of course? Just like every immigrant group has. And we will be a better, richer, more interesting "culture" for it.

??? The same culture? They don't even speak our language. If they were culturally at all like us, don't you think they'd have a different kind of country that would be more like ours and so would not have to flee it? If they wanted to be like us, they wouldn't need separate Spanish language television and radio, they would be eager to learn English and would have already learned it.

Those who wish to immigrate and can adapt, can assimilate, and can afford our much higher cost of living are those who can get employer sponsorship. Yes -- they can adapt, the very impoverished and illiterate can only adapt to our government handouts. It's costly to live in this country, far more costly than their own.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,657 times
Pat Buchanan is a dixiecrat moron.

They will indeed assimilate & Americanize, just as Buchanans Irish ancestors did. In fact to claim otherwise ignores actual observable fact that most who are born here are already fully culturally American, particularly those with university education.

The biggest determinant to assimilation seems to be education and middle vs lower class subculture.
My personal observation is that groups who seem to remain "foreign" culturally, are the uneducated who tend to be very ethnically insular and backward.
As with every group, it is those adopting middle-class cultural traits, even when their econimic situation may not qualify as such that assimilate well.

People like Buchanan will eventually die out and then America will be better unified as one nation.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naglfar View Post
Buchanan: Hispanic influx from immigration bill could break US into 'two countries' | The Daily Caller

(sorry for the screwy address above, new users can't post links)

He went on to say:

This will happen if mexican immigrants don't assimilate into american society. It's happened more times than can be counted through out history.

Assuming the amnesty bill is passed that is, but even without that I see the southwest transforming with or without amnesty.

So what can we do to avoid this and assimilate mexicans into american society?
They do.
Question, how many Mexican immigrants do you rednecks actually know?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post

They will indeed assimilate & Americanize, just as Buchanans Irish ancestors did. In fact to claim otherwise ignores actual observable fact that most who are born here are already fully culturally American, particularly those with university education.

The biggest determinant to assimilation seems to be education and middle vs lower class subculture.
My personal observation is that groups who seem to remain "foreign" culturally, are the uneducated who tend to be very ethnically insular and backward.
As with every group, it is those adopting middle-class cultural traits, even when their econimic situation may not qualify as such that assimilate well.

People like Buchanan will eventually die out and then America will be better unified as one nation.
I don't think he was talking about the ones who are educated and so can get work visas but of the mostly illiterate and uneducated. It's not true that those born here are fully culturally American -- those protestors waving their Mexican flags in our faces and the Aztlan radicals or Mexica Movement USA haters are actually usually those who were born here, not their illegal parents.

They are not assimilating -- in fact some are making Spanish their official language. (Can't have the language of Americans made official but the illegals can make Spanish the official language)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...al.html?pg=all

EL CENIZO, Texas -- The border town of El Cenizo, whose population is heavily Hispanic, has adopted Spanish as its official language and declared the community a safe haven for illegal immigrants, officials said Friday.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post

The criss has been here since the mid 1960s. when will they aaimlate? they wont.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
The criss has been here since the mid 1960s. when will they aaimlate? they wont.
And this is everywhere -- the growing hispanic gang problem, which is the direct result of them failing to assimilate. These hispanic gangs like the MS13 are not made up of the long time American hispanics like those in the SW, they are due to immigration --- and not from immigraton of employer sponsored types.

Seattle News and Events | King County's Growing Latino Gang Problem

Hispanic Gangs in Los Angeles County | 18th Street | Mara Salvatrucha | MS13 | Diesiocho | Eighteen Street | StreetGangs.Com

And of course their very fast growing government dependence:

CNS STORY: For US Hispanics, poverty is growing faster with little relief in sight

For US Hispanics, poverty is growing faster with little relief in sight

Garcia and de Jesus represent the growing number of Hispanics living in poverty. U.S. Census Bureau statistics for 2010 show that 26.6 percent of Hispanics -- 13.2 million people -- are poor. The figure represents a 1.3 percent increase from 2009.

Garcia, who also left high school before graduation, has learned to get by on public assistance and food stamps. Life, she admitted, is far different than when she earned $11 an hour as a nurse's assistant in Chicago.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 PM

61 posts, read 41,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They do.
Question, how many Mexican immigrants do you rednecks actually know?
I have several in my family. Granted, they're legal citizens but still.

Do you always make ignorant assumptions?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naglfar View Post
I have several in my family. Granted, they're legal citizens but still.

Do you always make ignorant assumptions?
And I live on the border in a town where at least 40% of the population was born in Mexico -- but 75% speak Spanish as their primary language. Not much assimilation going on here as far as language --- you even hear WIC coupons being called "Week". There are more television and radio channels in Spanish than in English, it would be difficult for many to assimilate even if they wanted to. In fact in order to get a job, very often there is no requirement at all to speak English or at least not fluently but Spanish fluency is very often required. You can go to Walmart and have your change counted out in Spanish. I wish I saw assimilation going on. I had a neighbor who lived here for more than 50 years and he could not speak or understand English.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
??? The same culture? They don't even speak our language. If they were culturally at all like us, don't you think they'd have a different kind of country that would be more like ours and so would not have to flee it? If they wanted to be like us, they wouldn't need separate Spanish language television and radio, they would be eager to learn English and would have already learned it.

Those who wish to immigrate and can adapt, can assimilate, and can afford our much higher cost of living are those who can get employer sponsorship. Yes -- they can adapt, the very impoverished and illiterate can only adapt to our government handouts. It's costly to live in this country, far more costly than their own.
Have you ever watched Spanish language TV? The shows there are not some weird stuff like from the middle east or Asia. They are the same things we watch: variety shows, soap operas, game shows, sports. So it is in Spanish. They are lucky to be the first immigrant group where they can actually see TV in their native language. People like that; they cling to their language and ways. It is no different. Arizona is a place where everyone came from somewhere else. People from Chicago are no different, Cubs bars, hats, tees; New York pizza joints. Heck, the real culture here is more Mexican than Midwestern, but Midwesterners dominate and their "sign" is everywhere.

Now, have you ever been to Pittsburgh? If so you will see multitudes of ethnic neighborhoods, signs in various languages and even alphabets. And old people, lots of old people. Because the young have learned English, gone to school, got jobs and moved away. But the old cling to their ways The same thing is going on in border states. Latter generation Mexicans don't speak Spanish well if at all. They live in our neighborhoods, send their kids to our schools, barbeque in the back yard, and are our friends, often very good friends. Our kids date them and marry them. They are part of our families. They are every bit as assimilated as your own family is.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM

62,942 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And I live on the border in a town where at least 40% of the population was born in Mexico -- but 75% speak Spanish as their primary language. Not much assimilation going on here as far as language --- you even hear WIC coupons being called "Week". There are more television and radio channels in Spanish than in English, it would be difficult for many to assimilate even if they wanted to. In fact in order to get a job, very often there is no requirement at all to speak English or at least not fluently but Spanish fluency is very often required. You can go to Walmart and have your change counted out in Spanish. I wish I saw assimilation going on. I had a neighbor who lived here for more than 50 years and he could not speak or understand English.
I don't live near the border but my experience has been the same. I know there are many who have been here for decades and still can't speak English. Everywhere I go most of them are speaking exclusively in Spanish. Did they all just come over the border? I don't think so! When you have this magnitude of immigrants coming both legally and illegally from mostly one ethnic group they colonize rather than assimilate. I can't believe the number of channels my cable provider has in Spanish now. It has accelerated in the past 5 years. What happened to diversity as the desire for this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies