Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,967,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Rachel Jeantel...that's DeeDee.
Thanks - that's what I thought based on context but I wanted to be sure.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:06 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,843,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
how about: The do's and don'ts of a successful neighborhood watch nazi
lmao

Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 AM

2,400 posts, read 3,627,941 times
Seems to me that Zimmerman pursued and approached the boy against the police's suggestion that he not follow, and because Trayvon felt defensive about a stranger following him around and starting a fight with him, he defended himself in the confrontation. Unfortunately Zimmerman was getting the low end of the fight, and like a coward, pulled out his gun and shot the boy. It's not self defense if you're the one who started the fight. Should be an open and shut case.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,840,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

It was very obvious to me from day one a year or so ago, the media and other big names were out to get this guy. It wasnt just that they wanted him arrested. Some even lied.
Yes, it's true that when this case first hit the news, Zimmerman got a lot more coverage than some serial killers. It's unfortunate that we live in a world where the juicier the story, the more people want to know about it. I really don't think the media was out to "get this guy" as much as what he represented. He just happened to be the poor slob whose face was plastered all over the TV news. He was certainly not the first person to shoot an unarmed person and released. However, Zimmerman did something very stupid which resulted in taking a teenager's life, and he needed to take responsibility for his actions. This entire mess began when the Sanford police kept telling the victim's parents that there wasn't enough evidence to make an arrest.

If you were told by the police that your son was shot to death while walking home from a convenient store, wasn't committing any crime, had no weapon of any kind, not even a knife, but his killer was released without charges, you wouldn't sit still and wait either. The only reason this case made front page news was because a Black teenager was shot and the police didn't act quickly enough. I never thought Zimmerman was a racist, just a wannabe cop who couldn't get on any police force.

Michael Dunn blasted a car full of Black teenagers, killing Jordan Davis, just because their music was too loud. He didn't get nearly as much media coverage because he was arrested immediately after the incident. I'm not saying these 2 cases are similar, only that the reason for Zimmerman's fame was the way the case was handled, not necessarily the shooting itself. The story got blown way out of proportion, considering all the shootings we don't hear about, but once a case gets this much attention, it doesn't fade away.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,840,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
That's true, although telling what she was able to hear that night has clearly been difficult for her; I don't think that she has the sophistication to testify for so many hours and adhere to an agenda. As for slanted testimony, there is no one who has better reason to lie than Zimmerman. In fact, he's already lied and still people see him as honest. Which darn story that George told is the truth? The written police report, the reenactment or the story he told his brother, Robert? For some reason I get no answers to that question, and I ask politely, too.
I doubt if you'll get any answers here, Evenstar. I thought about this too. I think Zimmerman is emotionally unstable, although I'm not using that as an excuse for his behavior, but everything in his past indicates he has problems with authority and wants to be in charge. In this case, he decided to take matters into his own hands instead of following protocol.

The other answers you won't get is why the body was found several feet from the sidewalk where Zimmerman claims his head was being smashed. Was there a bloody sidewalk anywhere near Martin's lifeless body? No, so Zimmerman said that after he shot him in the heart, Martin just said "you got me" and stood up and walked away. It's difficult for me to understand why anyone with common sense believes this, which might be why Corey charged him with 2nd degree murder. Then he added how he straddled the body and spread out his arms, but Martin was found face down in the grass with his arms under his body. The Anthony case wasn't self-defense, but I'm wondering if Zimmerman will have to testify. If he does, I'm sure the prosecution will be asking these questions.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,967,179 times
So, catching up still on today's testimony. Just finished with TMobile guy (um, that was boring and didn't seem to necessitate actually having him come in and explain the easily understood records but whatever). Now I'm onto Lauer. I saw the end of her testimony this afternoon.

Gotta say - this is so interesting in general. I've never done this before and wanted to try it. Basically, I intentionally stayed away from any mention of the trial so when I watched it, it would be through the lens of someone seeing this information for the first time. Have to say if you ever get the chance (and you're a bit of a law junkie), it's a fascinating exercise.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,997,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I doubt if you'll get any answers here, Evenstar. I thought about this too. I think Zimmerman is emotionally unstable, although I'm not using that as an excuse for his behavior, but everything in his past indicates he has problems with authority and wants to be in charge. In this case, he decided to take matters into his own hands instead of following protocol.

The other answers you won't get is why the body was found several feet from the sidewalk where Zimmerman claims his head was being smashed. Was there a bloody sidewalk anywhere near Martin's lifeless body? No, so Zimmerman said that after he shot him in the heart, Martin just said "you got me" and stood up and walked away. It's difficult for me to understand why anyone with common sense believes this, which might be why Corey charged him with 2nd degree murder. Then he added how he straddled the body and spread out his arms, but Martin was found face down in the grass with his arms under his body. The Anthony case wasn't self-defense, but I'm wondering if Zimmerman will have to testify. If he does, I'm sure the prosecution will be asking these questions.
~sigh~ I know that you're right...Zimmerman's different stories can be manipulated to answer any questions people might have regarding the choices that he made. No one will step up and say, "The version that I believe is ___." Truth and justice are unwelcome guests at this party.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,895,284 times
Let's wait until all the facts come out.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,997,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Let's wait until all the facts come out.

Wait to do what, exactly? Discuss the trial when it's over? Forget that...we're free to discuss evidence as it's presented.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,464,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Seems to me that Zimmerman pursued and approached the boy against the police's suggestion that he not follow, and because Trayvon felt defensive about a stranger following him around and starting a fight with him, he defended himself in the confrontation. Unfortunately Zimmerman was getting the low end of the fight, and like a coward, pulled out his gun and shot the boy. It's not self defense if you're the one who started the fight. Should be an open and shut case.
<<< Yawn >>> <<< Wrong, for the zillionth time>>>

The one who starts a fight can act in self defense, depending on circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.