Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times

Advertisements

why isnt this in the relationship forum, and am i the only one whos tired of the constant race threads? i know its the easiest way to get replies/views, but it gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominix42 View Post
My distaste for "features" makes me an idiot? Grow up. Not everybody thinks and feels the same way Californian34 does. We're not a brood connected to a hive mind.

Secondly, I probably know more about africa than you do.
no, referring to a specific trait as "African features" is pretty idiotic. I bet you know more about Africa than me too. you're probably learning about it right now in 7th grade social studies.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'm in an interracial marriage.

The most important thing to me when I was dating was that the female wasn't trash.
Did you marry Hot_Lips?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,209 times
Quote:
That's because the majority of men in the US are white. So you can't really blame society for it. Beauty standards are set by white men. Women do not dictate what men like, men do.
I'm not blaming society; I simply provided a direct response to your question. You asked, why don't many Asian American and Hispanic American men date black women, and I stated, it's because they are conditioned not to. In all honesty, many of our preferences are actually created by the media, whether we want to admit it or not.

A century or so ago, large shapely women were considered the beauty standard. Marilyn Monroe wouldn't be celebrated for her figure if she showed up at a casting call in 2013. Her agent would surely advise her to lose weight, because the "beauty" standard in Hollywood has changed.

Quote:
What you see in the magazines is what white men like. Can you really blame them for it? They like what they like. Don't hate on them for what they like. If you want non-white standards in media then make your own magazine and advertisements that feature non-white women. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to do anything. Stop holding a gun to other peoples heads and force them into something they're not interested in.
At the end of the day, I really don't have a problem with anyone having preferences, but I do take issue with people trying to demean others, if they happen to look different than their accepted notion of beauty.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I think that if it wasn't for family members & others in society's (possible) negative feelings, opinions & comments, that more white men would date/marry black women. But because white men don't want to look "bad" in the eyes of their parents, other relatives, maybe coworkers, & strangers in society, meaning being stared at, talked about behind their back, thought of in a different light, possibly have biracial children, etc., they tend to stay away & not date/marry black women.

Many parents today still are willing to disown their kids if they date/marry the "wrong" race person, which is a real shame! TONS & TONS of black men date/marry white women, so why not a lot more white male/black female relationships?

And please, no one say anything to cause this thread to be closed. (And please, no one think I'm trying to be racist...I'm a biracial person myself.)
Yeah, but it's a lot of cool white guys out there don't care what no one say or think. One of my closest friends is white, he don't believe in interracial dating that's his personal preference, where as me I think it's beautiful.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
What's idiotic about that? African people have distinct features that other races of people don't have. You mean to tell me you can't tell the difference between an asian woman and a black woman?

You're inability to acknowledge that reveals you yourself to be idiotic.
so all Asians and all black people look the same. have you ever seen a negrito from the Philippines ? have you ever seen some of the people in Madagascar? what about the variety of people from Ethiopia? or people from Libya, Egypt, or Morocco? you think all Asians look like Jackie Chan and all Africans look like Alek Wek. oh, enlighten me with your brilliance.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
The simple answer is, blackness is often viewed as ugly and inferior. We do not live in a vacuum. At an early age, children become accustomed to societal depictions of what's considered beautiful. 99.9% of all magazines in this country feature white people and most of the beauty magazines feature white women or women who are closest to the white ideal.

Young boys grow up with these images and begin to accept them as the standard.

In a nutshell, they are brought up to accept the inherit superiority of white beauty standards. "Ethnic" American men are not immune from this, because they too are fed images from the media on a regular basis, which consistently reinforce the notion that white women are best.
There are plenty of white men out there in the world who married ugly white women, for me not to have some doubt in your theory.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes, I have to say, as an unrepentent heathen nonbeliever, I respect the spiritual/religious views of others and have myself spent a great deal of my life studying the world's religions, going to various churches, mosques, synagogues and temples. But I would probably find it difficult to be in a close relationship with someone who was very deep into their faith if it meant they expected me and others to live and believe as they do or face their ire and their belief that I'd be hellbound.

I've had long relationships with girls of faith and it has never been a problem or the reason for a break up, but while I am accepting of and supportive of the beliefs of others, I'd probably not get along too well in a relationship with, say, a fundamentalist, literalist fire-and-brimstone hardshell Baptist. Or an extremist Muslim zealot for that matter.

It's be difficult to merge my life with the life of a person so obsessed with or dedicated to things I, at base, just don't believe in or care that much about.
You make good points. By no means do I think someone has to be obsessed to hold a firm belief. And it also depends on how far the relationship is to go. After all, God says only a man and a woman can have sex to have a baby when they are married (made you look that's a joke).

There are other things. I'd find it hard to date a birther but that's not based on a fundamental belief.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with you. Men like what they like irregardless of the media and will seek out things they desire. The situation on the street reflects that.

I feel like people use the "It's the medias fault" as a scapegoat to an issue they're afraid to face because they know that the truth often hurts and the media excuse is one that's less painful than the bold honest truth.
and what is the hurtful truth? (can't wait for this one.)

Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
I have to disagree with you. Men like what they like irregardless of the media and will seek out things they desire. The situation on the street reflects that.

I feel like people use the "It's the medias fault" as a scapegoat to an issue they're afraid to face because they know that the truth often hurts and the media excuse is one that's less painful than the bold honest truth.

"irregardless" is not a word.

"The situation on the street"....LOL. Have you been watching reruns of Starsky & Hutch or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies