Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,650,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
without a kid being produced, then marriage is pointless - I mean, what is the point?
My mother-in-law was remarried at age 56. No kids are resulting from her marriage -- is it pointless?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,597,817 times
Quote:
they got married in the first place to have a kid, and afterwards it's just more convenient
So you advocate marriages that exist for the sake of convenience?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,450,631 times
Quote:
because otherwise it would be discrimination towards those single people that cannot find a partner.

I thought you lot were into 'equal rights for all' , but it sounds to me that you are not
Boy, you are purposely being dumb about this, marriage rights come with marriage, want those rights, get married. That is why they are called marriage rights, a single person is a single person, period, so how would rights associated with a couple being married fit a single person? What protections is a single person going for that belong to marriage rights. If he/she wants to get married, that is their choice to do so and get those rights. Want it explained any other way for you to understand it?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
without a kid being produced, then marriage is pointless - I mean, what is the point?
Ever heard of love being a reason to get married? Why do senior citizens get married, or sterile couples, or couples with no intent of reproducing, which happens to be over half of straight couples. I tell you, it is the protections, benefits and rights, not for kids. Having kids is not required for marriage, nor to get the benefits and rights which have nothing to do with having kids.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
why can't I marry myself then?

if you can change man and woman to man and man, then why not to man and himself?

oh look , I've hit 5000 posts

Give credit to Ken on his successful mission!

Kenneth has been inspired by the real Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia, Hugo Chavez, Lenin, and the true sage of humanity - Karl Marx.

Time for a short break.
Now you just went over the top of stupid. How can you marry yourself?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,815,663 times
Quote:
It suits my business needs to 'marry' one of my business partners , but I am a hetero.
Would this be possible to do, or would I have to prove my orientation status somehow?
There are strict requirements and you would definitely have to prove you are gay before they would allow such a union. You and your business partner would be required to have your tonsils tickled by all the males at the courthouse..
Even if you fake it, once you complete your rounds, you would be converted and then it would no longer be a lie...
Go for it, sucker...!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,622,266 times
Quote:
It suits my business needs to 'marry' one of my business partners , but I am a hetero.

Would this be possible to do, or would I have to prove my orientation status somehow?
Certainly because the very essence of marriage would have been redefined such that it no longer bore any semblance, meaning or social validity to what it once was.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Certainly because the very essence of marriage would have been redefined such that it no longer bore any semblance, meaning or social validity to what it once was.
Really? My relationship of 34 years is pretty much the same as that of my straight friends, it has meaning and social validity, more so than that of people on their second or third or more marriage. Marriage for gays is the same as it is for straights. Why do so many straight people think that us gays getting married redefines marriage. It is still a committment for pretty much the same reasons and some of us also have children. If anything redefines any marriage, it is divorce and subsequent marriages. I do not see any uproar or pressure to make divorce illegal, why is there no protesting divorce and the damage it causes to children and families?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:53 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,622,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Really? My relationship of 34 years is pretty much the same as that of my straight friends, it has meaning and social validity, more so than that of people on their second or third or more marriage. Marriage for gays is the same as it is for straights. Why do so many straight people think that us gays getting married redefines marriage. It is still a committment for pretty much the same reasons and some of us also have children. If anything redefines any marriage, it is divorce and subsequent marriages. I do not see any uproar or pressure to make divorce illegal, why is there no protesting divorce and the damage it causes to children and families?
Yes, “really”. You are not husband and wife. Marriage has never been of, about or for the homosexual. Marriage is a man and a woman and anything else is NOT marriage nor is it “pretty much the same” either. Different is not the same. Homosexualized marriage has redefined it such that what used to be marriage is no longer a man and a woman. You cannot redefine or change something and then expect it to be treated or much less regarded as if it had never been touched.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Yes, “really”. You are not husband and wife. Marriage has never been of, about or for the homosexual. Marriage is a man and a woman and anything else is NOT marriage nor is it “pretty much the same” either. Different is not the same. Homosexualized marriage has redefined it such that what used to be marriage is no longer a man and a woman. You cannot redefine or change something and then expect it to be treated or much less regarded as if it had never been touched.
You should probably read up on some history and acquire some knowledge on a subject before you go spouting off about it and looking completely ignorant of what you are talking about.

I hope you can overcome your bigotry.

Because the fact is, precluding consensual adult couples from marrying based solely on their gender is the very definition of discrimination and bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies