Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:05 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,026,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Got it. All the animals and aquatic life belongs to AMERICA!
C'mon, you know full well that the eco-system has borders. In fact, I'm pretty sure that some salmon now need passports to travel from Canada to the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,904,904 times
Quote:
Over 100,000 animals in the wild are killed every year by plastic bags. But hey, as long as you're not inconvenienced because you're too damned lazy to bring your own bags to the store.
You mean killed by people littering?

Here is the stupidity here. Rather than attend to proper standards for disposal of bag, putting up heavy fines and penalties for those who do litter them, you go and ban them... brilliant! Absolutely brilliant. In one fell swoop, you accuse everyone of being irresponsible.

People expel Co2, maybe we should ban them as well? Yeah... that is it, lets all put on our stupid hats and think of other brilliant solutions.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM

14,295 posts, read 9,632,106 times
Not too long ago the enviro-left were on a world-wide campaign to shame people into "going plastic" to save the trees from the use of paper bags. now they are lurching back into the other direction. It would not be so bad if politicians were not so quick to jump when enviro-wackos say jump. now we have politicians jumping to man-made global warming, which is just another hoax, with more negative consequences we will need to dig out from under.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM

415 posts, read 760,972 times
works for me, I always ask for paper, it helps me get my trash piles going on burn day'

Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,026,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You mean killed by people littering?

Here is the stupidity here. Rather than attend to proper standards for disposal of bag, putting up heavy fines and penalties for those who do litter them, you go and ban them... brilliant! Absolutely brilliant. In one fell swoop, you accuse everyone of being irresponsible.

People expel Co2, maybe we should ban them as well? Yeah... that is it, lets all put on our stupid hats and think of other brilliant solutions.

Americans throw away almost 100 billion plastic bags every year, and only 1 percent to 3 percent are ever recycled.

Plastic bags are not biodegradable. They clog waterways, spoil the landscape, and end up in landfills where they may take 1,000 years or more to break down into ever smaller particles that continue to pollute the soil and water.

Plastic bags also pose a serious danger to birds and marine mammals that often mistake them for food. Thousands die each year after swallowing or choking on discarded plastic bags.

Finally, producing plastic bags requires millions of gallons of petroleum that could be used for transportation or heating.

Your idea is great, but how do you implement your "BRILLIANT" plan when it takes a thousand years for them to decompose and then they are still toxic. I know ...stick them all...yes, all 100 billion...in a time machine and send them to the future for future generations to worry about. Pass the buck and we can fix this...

Old 06-24-2013, 04:25 PM

25,736 posts, read 16,356,577 times

What a dilemma for tree huggers.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,343,200 times
Though I lean right I try to avoid plastic bags, when I go to the Amish store and Aldi's I bring my own but at Walmart or Kroger I can't because there is no area to self bag my food. I try to avoid bags if the item I purchase can be carried to the car with out a hassle. But on the other hand I burn my trash and use wood to keep warm in the winter. It sort offsets itself I guess.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,254,421 times
Quote:

Here is the stupidity here. Rather than attend to proper standards for
disposal of bag, putting up heavy fines and penalties for those who do litter
them, you go and ban them... brilliant! Absolutely brilliant. In one fell swoop,
you accuse everyone of being irresponsible.
You're kidding, right? Since when did anyone pay attention to proper disposal and regulations? There are regulations that say some trash should be taken to the dump, for a small fee. So what do people do? They dump their garbage in waterways and in the woods. I've seen mattresses and sofa frames floating downstream.
Regulations. Pffft.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,254,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Though I lean right I try to avoid plastic bags, when I go to the Amish store and Aldi's I bring my own but at Walmart or Kroger I can't because there is no area to self bag my food. I try to avoid bags if the item I purchase can be carried to the car with out a hassle. But on the other hand I burn my trash and use wood to keep warm in the winter. It sort offsets itself I guess.
Most stores here have banned plastic bags. Yes, everyone grumbled at first, but now you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't bring their own bags. I've seen customers give a verbal tongue-lashing to people that would make you think they had just butchered a nun in the public square.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM

17,385 posts, read 11,894,793 times
Quote:
Over 100,000 animals in the wild are killed every year by plastic bags. But hey, as long as you're not inconvenienced because you're too damned lazy to bring your own bags to the store.
I bet a lot more are killed by cars. What's next - ban the cars because it's killing the widdle animals?

I LOVE animals. But seriously, when does it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies