Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,412,483 times

Advertisements

This is hardly a surprise. These kids come to school, without even a pencil. Every day. I also ask about homework, blank stare. Even motivated teachers give up. What more can you do? Kids don't learn, and retain information, without doing the work. They can come to school, but, they have to take notes, and read, and do homework, and pass tests. Mostly, they show up, sometimes, no paper, no pencils, books go home, never come back, never to be seen again. ''where is your book?'', blank stare.

Shrug. What more can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,511,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is hardly a surprise. These kids come to school, without even a pencil. Every day. I also ask about homework, blank stare. Even motivated teachers give up. What more can you do? Kids don't learn, and retain information, without doing the work. They can come to school, but, they have to take notes, and read, and do homework, and pass tests. Mostly, they show up, sometimes, no paper, no pencils, books go home, never come back, never to be seen again. ''where is your book?'', blank stare.

Shrug. What more can I do?
Provide consequences for actions (or inaction) and when the parents are outraged you've given up on their child you simply explain that you don't have the time, patience or resources to focus on kids who don't wish to learn and that maybe they should seek out a "special learning" class so that their child can get the "special" attention they need.

Then provide a pillow for their jaw to drop on and walk away.

When they get outraged simply remind them that actions have consequences and the consequences of them not caring or blaming someone other than themselves is a nice cushy job at Walmart as a cashier making minimum wage and they'll be rewarded with a miserable life where they get to watch those that do want to learn do all the things they dream about while they struggle from paycheck to paycheck just to eat with absolutely no future as they'll be competing against people making a fraction of what they make for even that job.

People need to be shocked into reality most of the times and shocked out of their entitled mentality where they simply think because they are they shall have...

Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM

153 posts, read 156,775 times
Systematic miseducation fuels the more than lucrative prison industrial complex. Nothing is going to change.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Um, these parents...don't show up to meetings at school. They don't care. They only care, when told they will lose benefits if their children are not attending school. But any thing else, very rare. And often, for these students...the guardian changes, it goes from the Mother, to the Grandmother, to a sister, an Aunt, you don't know who is the guardian.

Or, a single parent is working two, three jobs, and guess what...coming to school for a meeting is pretty low on the priority list.

And sadly, when they do show up....I realize, "Wow, this kid is doing pretty good, considering the home life.". Sad to say. I once had a 25 year old Mother show up to school, in her "working clothes"....six inch heels, and a micro skirt. Her son? He was 10. He had younger siblings at home. He was acting out at school, and said he did not like his Mother's new BF. okay...how do you solve that? It goes on and on...sadly.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,511,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Um, these parents...don't show up to meetings at school. They don't care. They only care, when told they will lose benefits if their children are not attending school. But any thing else, very rare. And often, for these students...the guardian changes, it goes from the Mother, to the Grandmother, to a sister, an Aunt, you don't know who is the guardian.

Or, a single parent is working two, three jobs, and guess what...coming to school for a meeting is pretty low on the priority list.

And sadly, when they do show up....I realize, "Wow, this kid is doing pretty good, considering the home life.". Sad to say. I once had a 25 year old Mother show up to school, in her "working clothes"....six inch heels, and a micro skirt. Her son? He was 10. He had younger siblings at home. He was acting out at school, and said he did not like his Mother's new BF. okay...how do you solve that? It goes on and on...sadly.
Indeed that is a problem. With parents nowhere to be found the only course of action is taking it straight to the kid. Unfortunately you can't be a parent to 20 - 40 children. You don't want to write off that child but you have to cut your losses at some point. Catering to one troubled child takes up all of your time and diminishes the education of the rest of the class that does want to learn.

We'd all like to see every child succeed but the reality is all of them won't. In fact probably only a small percentage will. You can't invest too much in to it emotionally because it will drain you and bring you down and may even force you into a depressed state of mind.

That of course doesn't mean you write them off completely if you see a change in them. Nourishing that change is good for both you and them but that change has to come from them if the parents aren't around to bear that burden and to pay that price.

I don't think any of us are envious of your position but I'm sure most, if not all, will wish you the best and hope you'll be able to find a good balance.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 PM

I left teaching. The politics are too crazy.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,135,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As to why teachers unions would care about this, it goes beyond me.
They reason they care is becsue the poorly performing districts would of lost students and no longer needed the teachers.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 AM

7,528 posts, read 5,776,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sounds like THAT person has failed to apply themselves......sounds like the PARENTS do not really give a **** about their kids education. If that student wants to be a doctor....wow, I hope she does not succeed!

Enough with the BS guilt-trip.....some kids don't care about a formal education.....they can be janitors or fast-food workers.
Ask her if her parents eat dinner as a family, go to church on Sunday, have family time to discuss what's going on in their lives, if she had to work for extras she has or where they given to her, if her parents encourage her in sports, if they are saving for her college education.

I bet the answer is no..Then ask her if they are moonbat liberals and are on food stamps and free housing.. Bet you get a resounding yes and on top of that you'll get a story about being put down by the man, racism etc etc..

That folks, is the difference in the way conservatives view and live life compared to liberals.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 AM

9,017 posts, read 13,865,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Ask her if her parents eat dinner as a family, go to church on Sunday, have family time to discuss what's going on in their lives, if she had to work for extras she has or where they given to her, if her parents encourage her in sports, if they are saving for her college education.

I bet the answer is no..Then ask her if they are moonbat liberals and are on food stamps and free housing.. Bet you get a resounding yes and on top of that you'll get a story about being put down by the man, racism etc etc..

That folks, is the difference in the way conservatives view and live life compared to liberals.
What does going to church have to do with being a good student?
The same with parents saving for college...parents aren't obligated to save for their kids college education.

Come to think of it,since you threw in politics and religion, the red states have the highest poverty levels and lowest number of adults with at least a Bachelor degree,like Ole Ms and Alabama. They also have high teen preganacy rates.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,129,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post

Sillyest post ever maybe?

I am from a liberal family mom and dad both PHD´s Dad a Profesor. Brother buisness type guy. Never went to church, dad was non practicing Catholic, mom an Athiest.

Ok I am the family loser, I did an AA after a few years in the Army then quit to go surf, wind surf, rock climb and race sailboats all over. Still manage an ok IT job and am a responsible if not really "normal" dad.

Never ever even recived unemployment or needed any "Free Goverment stuff" and no I never lived off my parents either.
It seems amongthe people I know the more sucessful and educated tend to be Liberal or at most moderate conservitaves,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies