Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have to laugh at those who don't think we have enough freedom in this country. Let em go live in a Commie country then and then they will appreciate what we have here.
But... but... but... leftist commie countries supposedly AREN'T authoritarian. That's only the right-wing.

So say lefties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
I have to laugh at those who don't think we have enough freedom in this country. Let em go live in a Commie country then and then they will appreciate what we have here.
I do appreciate what we have here, but that doesn't mean there are no problems here. Anyone can see that we have a huge bloated government that imposes excessive controls. Just because it's worse in other countries doesn't mean we have to accept it here.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:01 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I do appreciate what we have here, but that doesn't mean there are no problems here. Anyone can see that we have a huge bloated government that imposes excessive controls. Just because it's worse in other countries doesn't mean we have to accept it here.
I do not agree that our government imposes excessive controls on us in regards to social issues. Laws and rules are in place for good reasons. If you don't agree then so be it.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Not true at all. Most cities limit the number of cabs, so if you want to drive a cab and you have all of the necessary training and licenses, you still cannot buy a car and line up at the airport. And that only protects the cab companies. Not the public.
Same here, there are too many cab drivers already, most of them just stand around the whole day, waiting for customers that never come. It makes sense to limit the number of licenses in a town where there are too many cabs already.

Why do you think everyone has the right to do anything they want where they want? I can't become a ice hockey player in my town, simply because there is no ice hockey venue.
Why can't you become a cab driver when seemingly any immigrant can that is barely fluent in English, nor knows the city well he is serving?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Same here, there are too many cab drivers already, most of them just stand around the whole day, waiting for customers that never come. It makes sense to limit the number of licenses in a town where there are too many cabs already.
If there are too many cabbies, the market will force them to reduce. We don't need the government telling us how many cabs we need. Just like we don't need the government telling us how many movie theaters we need. The market can do that much better than the government.

Quote:
Why do you think everyone has the right to do anything they want where they want?
I don't. Nobody should have the right to steal or assault somebody or murder somebody. But we should have the right to decide when to operate our businesses, when to buy products and decide what we will eat, drink or smoke along with thousands of other decisions that are personal.

Quote:
I can't become a ice hockey player in my town, simply because there is no ice hockey venue.
Why can't you become a cab driver when seemingly any immigrant can that is barely fluent in English, nor knows the city well he is serving?
You can't become a cab driver with your own car because most cities restrict cabs to selected companies (it's called Crony Capitalism). If you don't own a cab company, you are SOL. Your only choice is to go to work for one of those cab companies.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I do not agree that our government imposes excessive controls on us in regards to social issues. Laws and rules are in place for good reasons. If you don't agree then so be it.
So you agree that the government should tell us what to eat, drink and smoke? And the government should tell us when we can sell motorcycles? And the government should tell we can't sell a bottle of wine on Sunday morning?

Pathetic.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times
Yes. To many things are illegal in this country and it is frustrating. There are so many new law created by our government local, federal and state that we do not know if we are committing a crime. I used to buy into the myth that we needed gov't to protect us. Once I moved out of my parents house and had an epiphany about politics and economics I realized we need a freer society. Everyday more and more of our civil liberties are being taken away by people who want us to be more secure to protect us from made up terrorists and wars that will never end. Stop the tyranny NOW!

Charlie.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
So you agree that the government should tell us what to eat, drink and smoke? And the government should tell us when we can sell motorcycles? And the government should tell we can't sell a bottle of wine on Sunday morning?

Pathetic.
Where did I say any of that? Yes, pathetic on your part.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
If there are too many cabbies, the market will force them to reduce. We don't need the government telling us how many cabs we need. Just like we don't need the government telling us how many movie theaters we need. The market can do that much better than the government.

I don't. Nobody should have the right to steal or assault somebody or murder somebody. But we should have the right to decide when to operate our businesses, when to buy products and decide what we will eat, drink or smoke along with thousands of other decisions that are personal.

You can't become a cab driver with your own car because most cities restrict cabs to selected companies (it's called Crony Capitalism). If you don't own a cab company, you are SOL. Your only choice is to go to work for one of those cab companies.
I agree that decisions only concerning ourselves such as eating, drinking or buying (legal) products should be up to us. But business also concerns others, thus it is not personal anymore.

Yes, cab companies have their image, cab design, etc. Taxi/cab usually means that as a total stranger you can enter such a vehicle without worries. I would not want to do that when anybody can pretend to be a cab driver, maybe their car is not up to date, maybe the "cab driver" is a criminal that wants to rip me off, rob me, abduct me or even kill me

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Where did I say any of that? Yes, pathetic on your part.
Your post "I do not agree that our government imposes excessive controls on us in regards to social issues."

Isn't deciding what I should eat, drink or smoke a "social issue"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies