Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times

Advertisements

Coal should be the past. Solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, and nuclear is the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
In addition to which, the Obama era policy is if it gets done, Government did it. And as far as government getting anything done - not even to mention innovation, well, I'll just leave it at Solyndra.
Since you brought up Solyndra and you being a libertarian free spirit, let me tell you how the real world works. In the real world, other countries don't really care about the free market when they can subsidize or impose regulations in order to get a leg on the competition. Case in point, how does the free market compete with China's subsidized solar industry which is dumping cheap solar panels on the global market.

Lastly, I much prefer failures like Solyndra than military boondoggles:

Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I wish we could regain some sanity in this country. I mean seriously, liberals, you claim you want to help the poor, but you hurt them by shutting down the cheapest source of energy available. I wish we would elect a politician in the White House who actually gives a damn about getting people out of poverty instead of keeping them in poverty.

The coal industry produces jobs, good paying jobs. If we shut down the coal industry, what are these people supposed to do?? Go on welfare??? Newsflash liberals: PEOPLE HATE BEING UNEMPLOYED AND POOR. Our economy is so bad right now that we need to abolish the EPA and start drilling for oil all over the place. We need to be opening up more coal mines instead of shutting them down. We are stupid as Americans that we care more about saving a few trees than helping our own people get good jobs so they can get out of poverty. We have so much oil and coal in this country that we could create millions of jobs if we would get the stupid people out of the White House and elect someone with some sense who would get rid of the EPA.

I am looking at getting out of the US myself and applying for work in Dubai. Oh, yeah, they are filthy rich over there from OIL. We have oil here that we don't even use because we care more about the damn trees than people having good jobs. I am too tired of being poor in this country and need to be where I can make money.
Coal isn't going to disappear such stop with the faux outrage. Lastly, oil and gas companies have great pay too.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Since you brought up Solyndra and you being a libertarian free spirit, let me tell you how the real world works. In the real world, other countries don't really care about the free market when they can subsidize or impose regulations in order to get a leg on the competition. Case in point, how does the free market compete with China's subsidized solar industry which is dumping cheap solar panels on the global market.

Lastly, I much prefer failures like Solyndra than military boondoggles:

You just don't get it, taking risks on military investment is a good local job provider and investment, while taking risks on alternative energy is wasteful liberal corruption. Just read about it and you'll understand the difference.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
As if we need even higher energy prices. NOT! We need to BETTER UTILIZE ALL of our resources and thus Green, OIL, Coal, refining, etc. No favoritism or vice versa to any.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
The "war on coal" is being conducted by the petroleum industry, not the government.

It's called "fracking."

Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The "war on coal" is being conducted by the petroleum industry, not the government.

It's called "fracking."
Krugman: ‘War on coal’ good for economy

Quote:
Interestingly, however, right now they [Republicans] don’t seem eager to attack climate science, maybe because that would make them sound unreasonable (which they are). Instead, they’re going for the economic angle, denouncing the Obama administration for waging a "war on coal" that will destroy jobs.

And you know what? They’re half-right. The new Obama plan is, to some extent, a war on coal — because reducing our use of coal is, necessarily, going to be part of any serious effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. But making war on coal won’t destroy jobs. In fact, serious new regulation of greenhouse emissions could be just what our economy needs.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Won't destroy jobs? lol

Old 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Forcing utilities to clean up their plants creates jobs not reducing them.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The article didn't say anything about shutting down the coal industry, it said we need to shut down conventional coal power plants because they are heavy polluters and inefficient. Newer coal power plants have much better technology to reduce the pollution they put out....though it is impossible to not have a coal plant polluting.

When it is so costly to retro fit and really costly to build new, you are going to see a big drop in coal consumption and less coal production, unless it is being exported....

The coal industry will come to a screeching halt.

I hope it puts a load on the grid, that causes massive blackouts for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies