Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
What definition? Buyback?
Once property is sold to another person or entity, they can do whatever they wish with it, the original owner's rights to the property sold/or given away for whatever reason were given up.

I'll give an example.
My friend and I both have dogs.
I gave my friend an assortment of treats for his dog.
Two days later on a re visit, I saw that one assortment of the treats were in a trash can.
I asked why, and he said he doesn't allow his dog to eat those.
I never questioned why he just didn't give them back to me.
Once you give something up, you've given it to someone who can do whatever they wish with it.

If I gave you a gun that you took a liking to, and I came back 3 weeks later and said, hey Sam, let me have that gun back that I gave you. You'd probably tell me to take a hike.
You've completely missed my point. I don't care what they do with the guns. What gives you the idea that I do? Better to sell them than melt them down into nothing. We should recycle more things.

My point is that the purpose of a buyback is obliterated should those guns not be taken off of the streets.

You're hinting at the theory that if although a buy back doesn't get guns off of the streets, it does transition them over to people who were somehow necessarily less likely to commit crimes with them, thus rationalizing the idea.

But there's no factual basis for that assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 02:31 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You've completely missed my point. I don't care what they do with the guns. What gives you the idea that I do? Better to sell them than melt them down into nothing. We should recycle more things.

My point is that the purpose of a buyback is obliterated should those guns not be taken off of the streets.

You're hinting at the theory that if although a buy back doesn't get guns off of the streets, it does transition them over to people who were somehow necessarily less likely to commit crimes with them, thus rationalizing the idea.

But there's no factual basis for that assertion.
Well yeah it was a theory. If the guns are resold, I do hope they're sold to responsible people.

Some of the guns that are turned into PD's don't even look like they can be fired. They're rusted and in disrepair. Only going by what I've seen reported on television.

IMO, gun buy backs are a failure anyway, a joke. Like criminals are going to turn their guns into a PD, yeah, riiiiiight. Stupid idea. Aldermen/persons/mayors must think criminals are as dumb a they are.

If they wanted to really get criminals from committing crimes, they'd bring back foot patrolling of neighborhoods. Oh, but that costs too much, human life is cheaper.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Well yeah it was a theory. If the guns are resold, I do hope they're sold to responsible people.

Some of the guns that are turned into PD's don't even look like they can be fired. They're rusted and in disrepair. Only going by what I've seen reported on television.

IMO, gun buy backs are a failure anyway, a joke. Like criminals are going to turn their guns into a PD, yeah, riiiiiight. Stupid idea. Aldermen/persons/mayors must think criminals are as dumb a they are.

If they wanted to really get criminals from committing crimes, they'd bring back foot patrolling of neighborhoods. Oh, but that costs too much, human life is cheaper.
Well the idea that criminals will turn in their guns is stupid.

However the idea that a buyback program is a good idea because it gets guns off the street, whether you agree with it or not, at least makes some type of logical sense.

The problem is that this destroys that entire argument, because if the guns are resold the buyback does not even serve the purpose of getting guns off of the street, it just saves the next guy who wants to buy a gun a few dollars buying it used from the city.

And the only argument I would anticipate in response to that is that yes, they are not getting them off the streets, but they are transitioning them to responsible owners, as you implied. However there's nothing to support the fact that the new owners are any more responsible than the old owners.

In fact, I would say that someone who wants a gun, law abiding citizen or not, is probably more likely to use it than someone who doesn't even want it in the first place.

So then I ask, what again is the point in a buyback?

Besides an excuse to look like the politicians are doing something of course.

Edit - I tend to repeat myself...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well the idea that criminals will turn in their guns is stupid.

However the idea that a buyback program is a good idea because it gets guns off the street, whether you agree with it or not, at least makes some type of logical sense.

The problem is that this destroys that entire argument, because if the guns are resold the buyback does not even serve the purpose of getting guns off of the street, it just saves the next guy who wants to buy a gun a few dollars buying it used from the city.

And the only argument I would anticipate in response to that is that yes, they are not getting them off the streets, but they are transitioning them to responsible owners, as you implied. However there's nothing to support the fact that the new owners are any more responsible than the old owners.

In fact, I would say that someone who wants a gun, law abiding citizen or not, is probably more likely to use it than someone who doesn't even want it in the first place.

So then I ask, what again is the point in a buyback?

Besides an excuse to look like the politicians are doing something of course.

Edit - I tend to repeat myself...
That's about it, it's a look good, feel good gesture. Does nothing to reduce crime.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
That's about it, it's a look good, feel good gesture. Does nothing to reduce crime.
Well that's how I feel about most gun control (we may disagree on that).

What is interesting to me is that while 90% of the political rhetoric is focused on assault weapons and the mentally insane, because these are the attention grabbers in the media, if you look at actual firearm regulation it is mostly geared towards handguns and crime records, as it should be, because these are what is involved in the vast majority of gun crime.

Maybe logic does win out sometimes, but political posturing, and the desire to feel as if we are doing something, seems to rule in this day and age.

I've long maintained that a sizable portion of the public, and of course the politicians, tend to look not at statistical effectiveness, but how neat and tidy of a package they can put together, implement it, and go on their way. In my eyes this is virtual proof that the primary motivation behind most of these ideas is simply a desire just to feel as if we are doing something.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Which, in summary, is about 90% of all gun laws.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Buy backs are total hog wash......

All anyone with a gun they don't want has to do is take it to a gun store and SELL it there. That gun will get a better buck than a buy back plan, and for cash money not a card

That gun WILL get logged in if the shop wants to stay a shop too, all on the up and up.

Something the cops don't do. I know where some of the buy back guns go, and these people who turn them in think these guns will be crushed and shredded, most are not, just what's junk, like Jennings, Raven Sterling and rusty crap from the mid 19th century.

Anything good is saved and for a few cents on the dollar . Buy Backs and the gun grabbers are so foolish

Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Which, in summary, is about 90% of all gun laws.
Grabbers and so called progressives are all about FEEL GOOD law.... it makes them feel important to have done something besides whine, wring their hands, and act like inept fools.

pro gun and criminals don't understand them either.

I don't even care how they feel, except for the pretty ones Sheep are here to be used for what we can take.

The system, likes sheep because it justifies taxes.. The system of injustice loves sheep because that is how they so called earn a salary which is nothing more than high paid welfare.

While the courts and police serve no one they can claim they do and that because of them 'we' are safer.

'We' are not safer for these people, we are at far more risk of them instead as they suck up RIGHTS.

Sheep have the Right to Die........ That's all the rights they need.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Do the police do a background check? A 3 day waiting period?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Do the police do a background check? A 3 day waiting period?
Do you suffer a 3 day wait in Fla? Nothing like that in NH.

In NH you walk into the gun store, pick up the item of interest and if you want it, go buy it. Once the store has the item paid for and the 4473 form filled out they call Nics and and in less than 5 minutes you take your new gun home / range.

In NH I doubt the cops have the number for NICS.

In NH i typically know what gun I want, who has it what it cost yada yada and it takes mess than 15 minutes in the store, and that counts ammo, and anything else I might want. Case, targets oil, ammo for something else, a tool maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies