Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's pretty simple, really.

Gun control has nothing to do with race. Gun control advocates want to limit the spread of firearms to the whole population, regardless of race.

Voter ID proposals, on the other hand, are all about making it harder for blacks and other minorities to vote. When proponents of voter ID proposals claim they aren't trying to disadvantage minorities, they are simply lying.
Only people that don't support some type of gun control are the criminals or the insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Name one state that was going to charge for the ID if it was required to vote.

Save yourself some time, there isn't one.

What. Part. Of. This. Do. Liberals. NOT. Understand???????
I'll name one when you name me a state that gives away I.D.s to be free. Now, to be fair if such a thing were to occur, I'd listen.

@Thinkforyourself, I'm an extremely pro-2nd liberal just so you know.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
People that registar to vote have proper ID. To registar to vote and recieve a voter registration card, you need a valid ID such as a birth Certificate or a Social Security card/number.

All other arguments are irrelevant. One should be able to resigtar a firearm or resigtar to vote with proper ID.
You do not have to prove US Citizenship to vote. The US Supreme Court recently affirmed that, because US Law does not require any "proof" of citizenship to vote.

A U.S. appeals court had invalidated the Arizona law, pointing to a 1993 federal statute that says states must “accept and use” a standard registration document known as the federal form. That form instructs prospective voters to swear that they are citizens, under penalty of perjury.

All a person has to do is check a box that says "I'm a US Citizen" (I promise)
Done deal.

Of course ...... you can't check out a library book, open a bank account, write a check, enter many Government buildings, get on an airplane - basically, you can't do much without an I.D. - except for vote in a US Election.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You do not have to prove US Citizenship to vote. The US Supreme Court recently affirmed that, because US Law does not require any "proof" of citizenship to vote.

A U.S. appeals court had invalidated the Arizona law, pointing to a 1993 federal statute that says states must “accept and use” a standard registration document known as the federal form. That form instructs prospective voters to swear that they are citizens, under penalty of perjury.

Done deal.

Of course ...... you can't check out a library book, open a bank account, write a check, enter many Government buildings, get on an airplane - basically, you can't do much without an I.D. - except for vote in a US Election.
BS.

The supreme court ruled you don't have to prove it to state government, but you have to prove it to federal government

Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'll name one when you name me a state that gives away I.D.s to be free. Now, to be fair if such a thing were to occur, I'd listen.
Your the one that made the assertion they were going to charge for it....

Quote:
Preparing for Election Day

Voters will be asked, but not required, to show an acceptable photo ID on Election Day. All photo IDs must contain an expiration date that is current, unless noted otherwise. Voter's names on their photo IDs do not need to exactly match their voter registration, but the names must substantially conform. Acceptable IDs include:

Photo IDs issued by the U.S. Federal Government or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (including the Department of State Voter ID Card)

PA Driver’s License or Non-driver’s License photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date)

Valid U.S. passport

U.S. military ID- active duty and retired military (a military or veteran’s ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinite). Military dependents’ ID must contain an expiration date

Employee photo ID issued by Federal, PA, PA County or PA Municipal government

Photo ID from an accredited PA public or private institution of higher learning, including colleges, universities, seminaries, community colleges and other two-year colleges

Photo ID issued by a PA care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes

If you do not have one of these IDs, and require one for voting purposes, you may be entitled to get one FREE OF CHARGE at a PennDOT Driver License Center. To find the Driver License Center nearest you, and learn what supporting documentation you will need to get a photo ID visit PennDOT's Voter ID Website or call the Department of State's Voter ID Hotline at 1-877-VotesPA (868-3772).
If you do not have one these they will issue you a PennDOT ID free of charge but you have to sign a paper stating you don't already have one the acceptable ID's listed above. The PennDOT ID is secure ID and federal regulations require substantial documentation to obtain one like a birth certificate which the state will try and obtain for you when you apply if you don't have one, this while you're at the facility. In the event this documentation cannot be obtained PA will issue a special voting only ID that does not have the BC requirement.

Again there isn't a single state that was going to require you purchase a ID for voting purposes. It would have been successfully challenged as a poll tax in a court.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Done deal.

That ruling has nothing to do with voter ID, it has to do with voter registration.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So you are against gun control?

You want psychotic people to legally buy guns?? Because if you don't, you support gun control
what we want is irrelevant, psychopaths and criminals will get guns.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
People that registar to vote have proper ID. To registar to vote and recieve a voter registration card, you need a valid ID such as a birth Certificate or a Social Security card/number.

All other arguments are irrelevant. One should be able to resigtar a firearm or resigtar to vote with proper ID.

Yep, ironclad!

Register to Vote | Voter Registration Forms | RegistertoVote.org

Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It isn't a racial issue. It's a constitutional one. Requiring a person to buy an I.D. to vote is a poll tax, hence unconstitutional.

What. Part. Of. This. Do. Conservatives. NOT. Understand???????
What about when they are free?

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Voter ID

What do lefties think "free" is a bad idea?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What about when they are free?

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Voter ID

What do lefties think "free" is a bad idea?
Again there wasn't a single state that was going to charge for the ID if it was required for voting. That would have been challenged as a poll tax and rightfully so.

PA will be the ultimate test for this. It's actually law right now but was suspended just before the elections in November. It's pending court cases which I don't think will succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies