Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Doesn't voter ID law apply to everybody but it's racism?
No need to ask any more questions, until you answer the question that have been asked of you, from your absurd comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Every measure of gun control targets minorities and the poor. They drive up prices and set up legal hoops that minorities and the poor either can't afford or don't know how to jump through or both.

Currently, rich white men have access to everything from machine guns to single shot while minorities and the poor can't even afford a simple pistol not to mention that they must go through other legal roadblocks to get there.

It's racism at it's finest.
I am sorry, but you are sounding just as bad as the liberals on here. How much you want to bet that minorities can not afford a simple pistol or more? Come to my house, and you will see minorities that have far more then just a pistol. And before you go sounding even more like a liberal, yes they are all legal. And if we want to, we would have no problem purchasing any gun we wanted.

gun control is not racist just like voter id is not racist....

Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
How much you want to bet that minorities can not afford a simple pistol or more?
They certainly can't afford it if there is $500 in fees before they even purchase the gun...

Quote:
I would agree to that mostly however my point and I believe the point of the OP is that the very same arguments used against voter ID can equally be applied to gun control laws.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They certainly can't afford it if there is $500 in fees before they even purchase the gun...

I would agree to that mostly however my point and I believe the point of the OP is that the very same arguments used against voter ID can equally be applied to gun control laws.
Yes we could afford it if there was $500 in fees before purchasing. I have over $20,000 invested in guns in my house, so what makes you think I can not afford $500?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No need to ask any more questions, until you answer the question that have been asked of you, from your absurd comments.
I already provided multiple examples. Not sure what more you need.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
I am sorry, but you are sounding just as bad as the liberals on here. How much you want to bet that minorities can not afford a simple pistol or more? Come to my house, and you will see minorities that have far more then just a pistol. And before you go sounding even more like a liberal, yes they are all legal. And if we want to, we would have no problem purchasing any gun we wanted.

I need the liberals to answer that. :-)

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
But somehow requiring people to show a valid ID before voting is racism even though this country is plagued by illegal immigrants in the magnitude of 30-50 million.
Voter ID laws are not designed to prevent voter fraud. Voter ID laws are designed to keep people who are likely to support Democrats from voting.

There is no evidence of significant voter fraud in national elections. Trying to turn a national election by stuffing ballot boxes with phony votes would be laughable. It would require a coordinated, nationwide conspiracy involving tens of millions of people. It's rubbish.

However, voter suppression--i.e. attempts to limit voting eligibility by certain groups--is a real and rampant problem. Voter ID laws are part of that effort. The fact is, poor people generally are less likely to have valid IDs. There are lots of reasons for this; the most common is that poor people have trouble maintaining housing and often cannot verify their current address. Given the fact black and Latino citizens are disproportionately poor, voter ID laws operate with racist effect.

As far as the gun issue, I find the fact some people feel as strongly about the right to buy a given consumer product--i.e. firearms--as they do the right to vote just sad.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yes we could afford it if there was $500 in fees before purchasing. I have over $20,000 invested in guns in my house, so what makes you think I can not afford $500?
Well specifically I'm talking about low income, if you have $20K in guns you're not low income.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Voter ID laws are not designed to prevent voter fraud. Voter ID laws are designed to keep people who are likely to support Democrats from voting.

There is no evidence of significant voter fraud in national elections.
There is no significant evidence there isn't either.

Quote:
Trying to turn a national election by stuffing ballot boxes with phony votes would be laughable.
You wouldn't have too in a close election, for example the Florida fiasco. What was that 500 votes that decided a Presidency? Now I specifically mention this becsue in one county in Florida a local news station compared jury duty records where the person claimed they were not a citizen to voter registration rolls. They found 100 of them were registered and if recall correctly 50 of them had voted. If that were to occur in every county in Florida that is enough votes to change history.

Quote:
As far as the gun issue, I find the fact some people feel as strongly about the right to buy a given consumer product--i.e. firearms--as they do the right to vote just sad.
That right is guaranteed to every person in this country in the Constitution and just as important as your right to vote if not more importatant.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well specifically I'm talking about low income, if you have $20K in guns you're not low income.
But the post that I responded to stated minorities and low income. I do fall into one of those categories, just because it is not low income does not make it relevant. Also, if this thread is about racism, it does not have to do with income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies