Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The existence of an entire industry focused on making you unhappy with what you have and equating possessions with happiness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Combined with a monetary policy that ensures you are eternally indebted in acquiring those possessions...

Yes?
plenty of truth in both of these responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Yes granted it was equal in price to their home because it is in a less edesireable location but this wa sa chance for them to cash out on their equity and put it towards retirement.

The craziest part is - they want to put on an addition!
LMAO...unreal. SMH..

Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times
can you honestly say Obama is doing a fantastic job with the economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, sure buddy. Whatever you say.

If the other guys were doing such a great job, why didn't they hold the House and Senate?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Sorry to interrupt, but a good number of those 76% make plenty of income but still spend every penny on material possessions.

They have to have the biggest house possible. They have to have the luxery cars. They have to stay at the Ritz Carlton.
Can you give me some idea of what percentage of that 76% makes plenty of income? Or is this just your opinion?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Sorry to interrupt, but a good number of those 76% make plenty of income but still spend every penny on material possessions.

They have to have the biggest house possible. They have to have the luxery cars. They have to stay at the Ritz Carlton.
Not necessarily. Prices have gone waaaay up. Wages have not.

Some people have all they can do to keep food on the table. Those are the people that need to spend every dime of their own. They don't qualify for anything nor are they asking for it.

I know quite a few like this. Not living in huge homes, some are renting. No car payments. Just monthly bills. Rent, food, lights, heat or oil, garbage, water, sewer, phone bill, cable bill, gas to get to and from work. I don't know about you, but the grocery bill is quite high these days.

Don't forget clothing, lunches for kids at school, school supplies, kids going to a birthday party, upcoming holidays if they celebrate anything. Money goes quick and we should be thankful that they are working for it and not relying on others to support them.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
cant save when you arnt making a livable wage. waged have leveled off, everything has increased in price.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Since when did the fact that someone is offered a loan mean they have to accept it?

The housing bubble was caused by ordinary people borrowing money for houses they couldn't actually afford.
Except it isn't that cut and dry....these loans were being presented in a way that were perceived to be affordable. Did many not do their homework? Sure. Was the process so convoluted that some people really didn't have the capacity to break down terms? Yes.

I know, that's what lawyers are for. I'm still not going to fault somebody who just wants to get a house, work their 40 and pay their bills.

Did you think that every unfit buyer simply said "Hey, I can't afford it...but F it... I will live it up for 3 years and get foreclosed"??

Did you think that these people simply went into their homes and just didn't pay their house notes upon moving in?

In the illusion of the American Dream, buying a house is an END for many. Believe it or not, most of these people just wanted to buy a house and settle into their niche.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Can you give me some idea of what percentage of that 76% makes plenty of income? Or is this just your opinion?
Just an astute observation:

Last week, online lender CashNetUSA said 22% of the 1,000 people it recently surveyed had less than $100 in savings to cover an emergency, while 46% had less than $800. After paying debts and taking care of housing, car and child care-related expenses, the respondents said there just isn't enough money left over for saving more

76% of us are living paycheck-to-paycheck | HartfordBusiness.com

If you are paying for childcare, own or rent a home and have cars you have significant income.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I've been there before, and its not fun. Those early career days were quite tough at times. I'm blessed to no longer be in that position.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Not necessarily. Prices have gone waaaay up. Wages have not.

Some people have all they can do to keep food on the table. Those are the people that need to spend every dime of their own. They don't qualify for anything nor are they asking for it.

I know quite a few like this. Not living in huge homes, some are renting. No car payments. Just monthly bills. Rent, food, lights, heat or oil, garbage, water, sewer, phone bill, cable bill, gas to get to and from work. I don't know about you, but the grocery bill is quite high these days.

Don't forget clothing, lunches for kids at school, school supplies, kids going to a birthday party, upcoming holidays if they celebrate anything. Money goes quick and we should be thankful that they are working for it and not relying on others to support them.
Not to mention helping your kids go to college. There is no way an average middle-class family is going to have a lot left over if they have kids in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies