Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,100,667 times

Advertisements

One of the most WTF issues surrounding Snowden is his choice of where to seek asylum considering his expressed outrages over the NSA's surveillance program. I don't think that is necessary to recount here the painfully obvious record of China, and Russia's abuse of civil liberties but a cursory look at Ecuador in general and Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa is just as striking.

Since taking office in 2007, Correa has set in place a series of policies that are as troubling, if not more so, than any policy put in place in the U.S. In Correa's Ecuador the government has the power to determine if information is truthful and outlines criminal penalties of undermining the prestige of the government, for deliberately omitting "topics of public interest." Correa has already shut down six television stations and dozens of independent newspapers that were critical of the government. All of which leads me to ponder the strange attraction that Ecuador represents for a self-proclaimed champion of civil liberties.

Further readings:

Snowden won’t find a beacon of civil rights in Ecuador - Salon.com

New Ecuadoran legislation seen as a gag on critics - Blog - Committee to Protect Journalists

Julian Assange: Welcome to Ecuador, a hotbed of corruption, extortion and repression (so says WikiLeaks) | Mail Online

Young Professionals in Human Rights » Blog Archive » Ecuador
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM

744 posts, read 1,093,185 times
Even stranger is how conservatives and teabaggers are shmoozing up to Russia, Venezuela, Cuba, and North Korea as pinnacles of freedom and liberty. I guess it's because they outlaw gay marriage.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,868,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Even stranger is how conservatives and teabaggers are shmoozing up to Russia, Venezuela, Cuba, and North Korea as pinnacles of freedom and liberty. I guess it's because they outlaw gay marriage.
Wtf are you talking about?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM

744 posts, read 1,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

Read any postings by Alex Jones fans/teabaggers on stories linked from Drudge.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,740,042 times
Quote:
Where is this warped viewpoint coming from?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,805,252 times
Quote:
Are you writing a fictional novel? The country is being taken over by lizard people, zombies are being bred in San Francisco from Pelosi's DNA, and there's no such thing as a market bubble.

If you're going to be absurd, do it all the way.

Quote:
Go find links like all good posters do. Until then, it's just revisions and interpretations. The fact that you still use teabaggers tells us where the fantasy lies.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:59 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,496,495 times
Fugitives--whether from justice or injustice--are not tourists. They do not normally have a wide selection of countries from which to choose.

Fidel Castro was considerably worse than Correa or Putin, yet many Americans of a certain type, who were not in Snowden's desperate position and who had a choice, were quite enthusiastic about his regime.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:05 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,868,260 times
Quote:
I'll check it out. I must have missed the "we love North Korea" section.

Pathetic.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One of the most WTF issues surrounding Snowden is his choice of where to seek asylum considering his expressed outrages over the NSA's surveillance program. I don't think that is necessary to recount here the painfully obvious record of China, and Russia's abuse of civil liberties but a cursory look at Ecuador in general and Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa is just as striking.

Since taking office in 2007, Correa has set in place a series of policies that are as troubling, if not more so, than any policy put in place in the U.S. In Correa's Ecuador the government has the power to determine if information is truthful and outlines criminal penalties of undermining the prestige of the government, for deliberately omitting "topics of public interest." Correa has already shut down six television stations and dozens of independent newspapers that were critical of the government. All of which leads me to ponder the strange attraction that Ecuador represents for a self-proclaimed champion of civil liberties.

Further readings:

Snowden won’t find a beacon of civil rights in Ecuador - Salon.com

New Ecuadoran legislation seen as a gag on critics - Blog - Committee to Protect Journalists

Julian Assange: Welcome to Ecuador, a hotbed of corruption, extortion and repression (so says WikiLeaks) | Mail Online

Young Professionals in Human Rights » Blog Archive » Ecuador
The guy is an anti-american communist. It should be obvious by now

Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,388,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

This is a guy who got himself banned, probably over scatological refererences, and had to create a new account. What is even more interesting is that looney lefties like this are out in full force trashing Snowden. I can't say whether Snowden is a patriot or traitor, but it is interesting in itself that the looney left is out for his scalp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies