Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Yup. The idea that you can wipe out almost 400 years of institutional racism in less than 50 is appallingly naive. There are still too many old racists still alive down there--and those people still vote. You'd need at least a century to completely cleanse the South of its racist attitudes.
You can't completely wipe it out, no. Is it completely fixed? No. But at a certain point you have to let progress happen naturally. I feel we are now at that point. If people are foolish enough to try the same crap again we have enough power and know-how to fight it. If you keep beating up someone when they are trying to do the right thing, they eventually quit trying. They figure you aren't going to be happy anyway, so why bother. That is how it plays out in our everyday lives and relationships, that's how it plays out intuitionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Sharpton's alimentary canal seems to be running backwards.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
South Boston and parts of Brooklyn had some pretty bad instances themselves, as did many - other than the South - areas of the country. The point being that there has to be a higher standard, than just an area of the country. That standard uses too broad of a brush, to paint only or majorly, one area of this country, as needing special rules. It borders on, if it isn't outright prejudice. Gee, that sounds familiar.

Congress had an opportunity to redefine the standards a decade ago, when they reauthorized the original act. Instead, they chose to pander instead of act rightly. The blackmail of 'racism' is what holds us back now, not systemic and widespread prejudice and bigotry.

Quote:
Yup. The idea that you can wipe out almost 400 years of institutional racism in less than 50 is appallingly naive. There are still too many old racists still alive down there--and those people still vote. You'd need at least a century to completely cleanse the South of its racist attitudes.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Al Sharpton would like nothing better than to see the US go back to the 60's so he'd have something to cry about.

You mean the 80's when he made a mess in NY with the Tawana Brawley hoax.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/booming/revisiting-the-tawana-brawley-rape-scandal.html?_r=0

Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
That Sharpton is given any credence, in any discussion, points to a lack of leadership in the Black community. He is as embarassing as _______ (Feel free to provide any name you think fits. The point remains.), is in the White community.

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
No matter how wrong you think he is. Most of you don't know whats like. We are far from a nation that we hoped for in 60s. I am a black individual, and sadly I still experience the hate that is geared toward black folk like me. I guess ill have to work twice as hard as the white man until I die...

You should lay the blame on people like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson for continually stirring the pot.

Most people just want to get through the day and aren't obsessed with race as you may believe. Al and Jesse make a living off of making you think we are all racist.

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Bull I have worked all over the South and have not seen what you speak of perhaps you live in a town with saggers and gangbangers who live to be loosers most Blacks I met don't fit that mold and are quite nice to meet and we worked together as friends and neighbors.I work in construction and have more contact with blacks and Mexicans than most who post on here not to mention skinheads and parolled murderers and such. Don't try to educate me about anything.been there done that. Farmer,commercial fisherman,bluewater sailor,big game outfitter,wrangler,always self employed and happy and not blaming others for the bad days just getting up in the morning and trying something new that could turn a profit and provide a needed service. Senior citizen now and finishing it off as a high end finish Carpenter sure miss the good old days some try to hate.Do it by yourself

Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
No matter how wrong you think he is. Most of you don't know whats like. We are far from a nation that we hoped for in 60s. I am a black individual, and sadly I still experience the hate that is geared toward black folk like me. I guess ill have to work twice as hard as the white man until I die...
Hate goes both ways, and as a white male, with a black fiancé, and two black children, I can tell you first hand that it comes my way far more than its given...

Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
It wasn't just Sharpton, I listened to one of my hero's John Lewis voice is concerns and I do agree. I live down here and it's very very sad day.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
His dream was turned into a nightmare by the al sharptons of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies