Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times

Advertisements

Somers’ suicide note is a powerful indictment of the invasion of Iraq and how it ruined the lives of both countless millions of Iraqis as well as innumerable US troops sent in to do the dirty work of the military-industrial complex.

“The simple truth is this: During my first deployment, I was made to participate in things, the enormity of which is hard to describe. War crimes, crimes against humanity,” wrote Somers. “Though I did not participate willingly, and made what I thought was my best effort to stop these events, there are some things that a person simply can not come back from. I take some pride in that, actually, as to move on in life after being part of such a thing would be the mark of a sociopath in my mind. These things go far beyond what most are even aware of.”

However, the root causes are laid bare in Somers’ suicide note. US troops are being ordered to commit atrocities so vile that the only way many of them can cope with the horror of what they have done is by killing themselves.

Examples of atrocities aided directly or indirectly by US troops in Iraq include;

- Orders to slaughter “all military age men” during some operations;

- Torturing detainees – many of whom had never engaged in combat and were totally innocent - at grisly prison camps across the country;

- Raping and torturing children at the infamous Abu Ghraib detention facility while they shrieked in terror. Women forced to watch later begged to be killed.

- Sodomizing detainees with chemical lights and broom sticks;

- Indiscriminately firing upon and killing journalists and children from the air

- Massacring entire groups of unarmed Iraqis, including children and the elderly in Hadith.

“This is what brought me to my actual final mission. Not suicide, but a mercy killing,” wrote Somers, adding that him living “any kind of ordinary life is an insult to those who died at my hand.”

Read Somers’ full suicide note below, obtained by Gawker and published with his family’s permission

I am sorry that it has come to this.

Iraq Vet Kills Himself After Being Ordered to

Still think we're the good guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 AM

310 posts, read 256,284 times
More people need to look at this. Things like this are why we get attacked.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Consider the source.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
That sounds like "Old Home Week" to me.

Occupation troops have done these things since Homer wrote his songs.

Some people cannot take the guilt and suicide. Other simply have a part of their personalites that simply do not care.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Do you really think that all this evilness could have been hidden from the Public? Are you that friggin clueless? DOn't you think that more then this guy would have been singing to the world or share thier pics on FB? While I know for sure bad stuff happens in the kill box where is the proof of thhese heinous crimes?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:09 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Do you really think that all this evilness could have been hidden from the Public? Are you that friggin clueless? DOn't you think that more then this guy would have been singing to the world or share thier pics on FB? While I know for sure bad stuff happens in the kill box where is the proof of thhese heinous crimes?
Youre incredibly naive.

I know its hard to accept that our military industrial complex isnt loaded with Captain Americas, but its time to face reality.

Im sure three weeks ago you thought it was impossible for the NSA to have the entire nation under surveillance.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
i'm confused.

these examples -- were they all direct orders he was given?

or were they isolated examples of misconduct across the entire armed forces?

Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm confused.

these examples -- were they all direct orders he was given?

or were they isolated examples of misconduct across the entire armed forces?
I would imagine both, but probably more of the latter.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Abu Ghraib, to name one, did get out to the public. It was verified by the report of our own military and by the Republican-led Senate Armed Services Committee.

It took almost two years for the public to learn about My Lai. There's a code of silence in the military just as there is in the police or the Mafia.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Abu Ghraib, to name one, did get out to the public. It was verified by the report of our own military and by the Republican-led Senate Armed Services Committee.

It took almost two years for the public to learn about My Lai. There's a code of silence in the military just as there is in the police or the Mafia.
Exactly.

If police can get away with murdering people in our own country, what do you think the military is doing in the middle of the desert to a bunch of people were trained to hate?

Naivety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies