Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
But there's the other side that you are not considering. You can't expect people to change the Scriptures, or dismantle their religion and belief system simply because you don't agree with it.

Also, let's not act as though homosexuals are violently murdered by the Church in 2013.
In other words, be content with your second-rate status and lack of rights. After all, you're no longer being killed by the church.
Is that what you're saying?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
One of my favorite recent quotes on this subject:

The question I get asked by religious people all the time is, without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? And my answer is: I do rape all I want. And the amount I want is zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount I want is zero. The fact that these people think that if they didn’t have this person watching over them that they would go on killing, raping rampages is the most self-damning thing I can imagine. I don't want to do that. Right now, without any god, I don't want to jump across this table and strangle you. I have no desire to strangle you. I have no desire to flip you over and rape you. You know what I mean? - Penn Jillette
I love that quote. There are a lot of people that say it's their belief in God and fear of hell that's keeping them from raping and murdering.
Those kind of people scare the crap out of me.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
So we know that half of gays are smart enough to forgo affiliation with fairytales. How many heterosexuals are that smart?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I love that quote. There are a lot of people that say it's their belief in God and fear of hell that's keeping them from raping and murdering.
Those kind of people scare the crap out of me.
I know, right?? If the ONLY thing keeping you from raping & murdering is the fear of Hell, I think you should do us all a favor and commit yourselves now... or at the very least, stay far far away from me and my family. But they think gays are a threat?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Not to mention the sheer lack of logic of the disseminated doctrine: "Believe - or else!" doesn't really work too well these days.
That was Jesus's message. Like it or not.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
But there's the other side that you are not considering. You can't expect people to change the Scriptures, or dismantle their religion and belief system simply because you don't agree with it.
Who's asking you to change scriptures, dismantle your religion, etc? The churches and other religious houses of worship are still free to believe as they please, still free to perform or forbid gay weddings, even free to restrict membership to those who hate (or support) the gay community.

Where did you get the idea this would affect churches at all??? I'm a member of a synagogue, and nothing has changed either before or after the gay rights movement - nothing. My synagogue has always stood in favor of gay rights, so why weren't we forced to change that stance before the laws started shifting? My old synagogue's Rabbi wouldn't perform interfaith weddings (couples already married were welcomed to join), and in the 50+ years he led that temple, not a single person or law stood in his way of making that decision. So if you think homosexuality is a sin, and shouldn't be condoned, find a church that supports your opinion... I'm sure there are plenty out there, especially if you live in the deep south. Easy peasy!!

Quote:
Also, let's not act as though homosexuals are violently murdered by the Church in 2013.
Maybe not in church, but it still happens... and if you don't believe that, I can only call you blissfully ignorant.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I don't like it, you apparently do, and we are both still free to express those opinions... ain't America grand?

Actually, since my religious beliefs don't even involve Jesus, I really have a neutral opinion on what his words supposedly were. Why or how should your god of choice affect the rest of us?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
But Jesus never existed to some religions

Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
But Jesus never existed to some religions
and to some people. It doesn't matter. It's 2013. He certainly doesn't exist today.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who's asking you to change scriptures, dismantle your religion, etc? The churches and other religious houses of worship are still free to believe as they please, still free to perform or forbid gay weddings, even free to restrict membership to those who hate (or support) the gay community.

Where did you get the idea this would affect churches at all??? I'm a member of a synagogue, and nothing has changed either before or after the gay rights movement - nothing. My synagogue has always stood in favor of gay rights, so why weren't we forced to change that stance before the laws started shifting?
Your synagogue is not following Judaic teachings if they teach that homosexuality is good and they actively endorse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies