Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:33 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
In a way I feel sorry for some of you because like the segregationist of the 1960's you guys are being left behind in a society that is moving forward. Some of you act like the sun wont rise the next day because two people decided to make a life long committment. I wonder why are yall not so up in arms about divorce, since it all about protecting marriage right?.
Not even close to the same thing.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
I'm old enough to remember a little about the push back in the 60s when civil rights legislation was passed--that the world was going to end because african americans had civil rights protections--and this is just more of the same kind of hysteria. The truth is that it doesn't matter what you think. All Americans should have the same rights and protections extended to them. It doesn't matter that you don't "like" it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0

Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
In a way I feel sorry for some of you because like the segregationist of the 1960's you guys are being left behind in a society that is moving forward. Some of you act like the sun wont rise the next day because two people decided to make a life long committment. I wonder why are yall not so up in arms about divorce, since it all about protecting marriage right?.
Yes, as far as the OP, nobody says you don't have a right--regardless of your age and any other demographic status you have--to oppose equal rights and priviliges to gay couples. You can support, oppose, or ignore any issue you want. It's a free country.

But, like the people who opposed equal rights for blacks a few decades ago, people opposing SSM will come to be more and more anachronstic; a throwback to a less enlightened era.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol people under 30 grow up get married in the normal sense and have families. Today's old people were at Woodstock.
Quote:
U.S. marriage rate is at an all-time low—only 51% of adults were married in 2011,
Marriage is just not important anymore. Sorry.

Quote:
What are the advantages of marriage? According to the public, it is easier for a married person than a single person to raise a family (77% say so). But in other realms of life asked about in the 2010 Pew Research survey, most people do not think either married or single people have an easier time of it. In fact, about half or more think there is no difference between being married or single in the ease of having a fulfilling sex life, being financially secure, finding happiness, getting ahead in a career or having social status.

Among the minority who say marital status does make a difference in life, marriage is deemed better in all of the listed realms but one. When it comes to getting ahead in a career, being single wins out, 24% to 14%.
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...-and-marriage/

Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Trust me, Older people like me...I am 65...know exactly what you are going through only we don't get approached anymore because we have chosen to walk away from all this CRAP. My deal with these Gay folks passing stuff out is that my whole life I have been hetrosexual..like men..always have, always will. Never in my lifetime have I passed out a flier that "touts" my preference for men or the fact that I am hetrosexual. Why do these Gay people have to blast their sexual preference all over the media, in the fliers they pass out and in the demonstrations they pull on the streets of our cities?? Ridiculous.
I don't give a RATS BEHIND who people sleep with just don't push your propaganda in anyones face.
Now, if as a young person this "agenda" bothers you..tell the gay person pushing that flier in your face to keep his "paperwork"; you are not interested in who he sleeps with and walk away. The more fuss you make the bigger the reason for them to push their agenda!!
Often times turning your back on unwanted pressure and walking away from an unwanted situation is enough to stop that particular AGENDA from being pushed. Good Luck with this. It goes on everywhere now and it just isn't right. My opinion only.
But it's ok for religious folks to do the same thing you're complaining about.

That's truly a joke.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm old enough to remember a little about the push back in the 60s when civil rights legislation was passed--that the world was going to end because african americans had civil rights protections--and this is just more of the same.
Yes. Similarly to the people who opposed interracial marriage in the 60s. They used the exact same ridiculolus "arguments" to oppose interracial marriage as the same xenophobics use today to oppose SSM.

We can argue all day about how skin color is not the same thing as sexual preference. That's completely beside the point. The point is discrimination and bigotry.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
I get what the OP is saying. Most people under 30, and by that I mean probably about 90% or higher, are very liberal especially on gay rights. I think this generation has taken it up as their social justice issue. It's their primary concern when going to the ballot box. Even if most people disagree with the OP he should be commended for thinking for himself. He should also accept he isnt going to find very many people in his age group that think like him and should keep his thoughts on this issue to himself if he wants to be accepted by his peers. Group think among Millennials is very common on not just this but a variety of issues and there is little tolerance for conservatism or anything traditional. But we can't all be "Little Monsters" can we?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
So the O.P. is upset for feeling unaccepted because he/she is different than the majority of his/her peers? Yeah, welcome to a minuscule percentage of what it feels like to grow up gay. At least the OP can change his/her ignorant stance.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I sincerely hope that now it's over they'll just shut up and leave everybody else alone.
Oh but it's not over. The push now is for all of these "marriages" to be recognized in all states.

Quote:
“Living in this kind of patchwork country is becoming less and less tenable,” said Susan Sommer, the director of constitutional litigation for Lambda Legal, the gay rights group. “If we’re going to have federal benefits and recognition, it certainly makes a state’s withholding of the freedom to marry come with that much greater a cost — an impairment of liberty.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/us...k.html?hp&_r=0

Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I feel the same towards people who would deny me as a gay man the option to marry another man.
You will never find the peace and acceptance you seek because you're looking for it in all the wrong places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies