Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He can do more he can join with people who share his views and fight to over turn these sorry state of affairs.
Thats a great Idea..

//www.city-data.com/forum/religion-spirituality/

Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Not even close to the same thing.
Singling out one group to be treated unequally under the law, is not the same as singling out one group to be treated unequally under the law?
Really?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
What two - or more - consenting adults do in the privacy of their own closet... I mean bedroom... is none of my - or your - damn business.

Should two people that have made life-long commitments to each other have the same legal rights as married hetero's? Abso-frickin-lutely!

Would it be a pain in the a$$ for a SS couple married in California to be transferred to a state that doesn't recognize SSM? Yup.

But...

What I would like is for these people to understand is this: I feel pressured to not just acknowledge their rights, but to celebrate with them - and not just their rights but their lifestyle as well. Maybe those on the Pro-gay agenda (the ones actively protesting, campaigning, etc.) don't see this, as their on one side of the mirror, but some of us kind of feel like we are being pressured into supporting these lifestyle choices whether we agree or not. Otherwise, we are considered bigots.

The OP's post is not about your rights. It's about the Gay community urging the rest of us not just to simply say "yes, you have these rights," but to say, "I openly, and with enthusiasm, celebrate your lifestyle." Some feel they are being forced to go against their own beliefs but the Pro-SSM crowd, which is just as discriminating as those that don't support SSM. Bigotry goes both ways.

Last edited by Starman71; 06-27-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I get what the OP is saying. Most people under 30, and by that I mean probably about 90% or higher, are very liberal especially on gay rights. I think this generation has taken it up as their social justice issue. It's their primary concern when going to the ballot box. Even if most people disagree with the OP he should be commended for thinking for himself. He should also accept he isnt going to find very many people in his age group that think like him and should keep his thoughts on this issue to himself if he wants to be accepted by his peers. Group think among Millennials is very common on not just this but a variety of issues and there is little tolerance for conservatism or anything traditional. But we can't all be "Little Monsters" can we?
The millennials are social libs but are turning into fiscal cons as they are increasing shoulder with carrying everyone elses bags so to speak.

IMO, the first party to split the difference and stake out a socially tolerant but fiscally responsible platform is going to be quite strong over the next 30-40 years.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I think people like him havent realized that the "culture war" is over, and his side has lost. They often complain about gay rights supporters being in your face about their issues, so what about in your face christianity?

I'm Christian, which means I follow the message of Christ (as best I can, because of course I'm not perfect)... Love thy neighbor as thyself.. I believe it's really much simpler than we make it out to be. But again we're human, and humans have an agenda and tend to twist things.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
IMO, the first party to split the difference and stake out a socially tolerant but fiscally responsible platform is going to be quite strong over the next 30-40 years.
The Libertarian Party has already done this, however they have not been able to get a substantial hold on any office.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Same sex marriage is the law of the land now whether we like it or not, and I don't. It will take a different Supreme Court to reverse this decision just like it did with the Dred Scot decision. Might as well accept that we have lost this battle and get used to the new Gay America. More court action will just burn up money and ultimately lose after this SCOTUS debacle. It's over.
I don't believe Dred Scot was ever reversed. What changed was the Constitution was amended. Without the amendments, Dred Scot would still be the law of the land.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Same sex marriage is the law of the land now whether we like it or not, and I don't. It will take a different Supreme Court to reverse this decision just like it did with the Dred Scot decision. Might as well accept that we have lost this battle and get used to the new Gay America. More court action will just burn up money and ultimately lose after this SCOTUS debacle. It's over.
Over turn which decision? Doma was a law that was doomed. Unless the "New" Supreme Court rules the 14th amendment "unconstitutional"...not very likely.

But keep hope alive.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
The Libertarian Party has already done this, however they have not been able to get a substantial hold on any office.
Yep, the 2 party system freezes them out. One of the parties will eventually slide further towards the libertarians....my money is on the republicans whom are already giving ground and softening their stance on social issues. I don't see the dems changing their economic views since those are tougher to alter without alienating parts of the base....although they did get away with joining the Repubs and supporting NAFTA.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The millennials are social libs but are turning into fiscal cons as they are increasing shoulder with carrying everyone elses bags so to speak.

Agreed. Social issues take a priority as we have seen the past two elections with all the Ron Paul supporters deflecting to Obama in the general. If there was ever a socially liberal, fiscally conservative candidate that person would probably receive enormous support from the younger generation. Young people need to get involved in the GOP primary process if they ever want to see a change. Right now its the older, social conservatives running the show so it will be difficult for the kind of libertarian many young people want to see to ever get nominated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies