Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
More stupidity.
Using public transportation, taxis, walking, riding a bike, or calling a friend who drives is stupid?

How about Harrier's proposed solutions above(which jmqueen responded to, but falsely states that Harrier never posted)that public funds be used to implement a "Dial a Ride" system for the elderly or infirm, or that some of you Democrats organize a volunteer organization that helps get people around?

In other words - why don't you seek solutions rather than play politics?

That is why jmqueen misrepresents Harrier - he heard exactly what Harrier said and didn't like it - because it challenged him to actually do something rather than throw mud.

Liberals are completely useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Another thread on the SCOTUS ruling? There are already at least 5.

I will present the same invitation is this thread as I have in several of the others:

Can any person opposing the SCOTUS ruling clearly indicate how any of the current voter ID laws, either those passed in places like Indiana, or proposed in places like Texas equate to any degree of voter suppression? I have asked, and have yet to receive anything even approaching a credible answer. If a state proposed legislation requiring a photo ID vote, and includes provisions to provide the required ID completely free of charge, then how is that impacting the rights or abilities of any legally qualified citizen to participate in the electoral process?
When people on the right start talking about welfare many on the left state that there are more whites on welfare then blacks.

Yet when voter ID comes along, the left says the poor blacks can't get a picture ID.

If there are more poor whites then poor blacks, how does getting a picture ID affect poor blacks more then poor whites?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Using public transportation, taxis, walking, riding a bike, or calling a friend who drives is stupid?

How about Harrier's proposed solutions above(which jmqueen responded to, but falsely states that Harrier never posted)that public funds be used to implement a "Dial a Ride" system for the elderly or infirm, or that some of you Democrats organize a volunteer organization that helps get people around?

That is why jmqueen misrepresents Harrier - he heard exactly what Harrier said and didn't like it - because it challenged him to actually do something rather than throw mud.

Liberals are completely useless.
Like this post?
read the thread, read the thread.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Exactly. The state of Texas has now been given the green light to disenfranchise voters that cons don't like. I'm pleased to see you admit it.

And please clarify why the FEDERAL government should solve Texas' problem. I though you cons were all about state's rights and personal responsibility.
Texas doesn't have a problem.

We have buses in our cities and the CARTS program for rural.
Go worry about another state.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Modern day southerners shouldn't be singled out and eternally punished by the Federal Government for Jim Crow laws.

The north and west were some racist bastards too -- and you don't see them singled out by preclearance.

therefore, if racism really is a problem in voting, then let's have a voting rights act that applies preclearance to EVERY STATE. Or, let's not have one at all.
Actually it wasn't only the Southern states that were singled out. There were areas all around the country that also required pre-clearance.

Last edited by WilliamSmyth; 06-28-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Ah, another personal insult. Always useful when you know you're wrong.

I predict disenfranchisement, based on statistics. All logic and past history point to such a thing. No system can cover all the bases, and least of all in a huge state like Texas. I will happily provide proof when it does happen.

In the meantime, since you support this measure, it is incumbent on YOU prove to me that it won't. Please cite exactly how the state will reach out to every poor person across the entire state. And prove your 99.9999% statistic. Again, rectal data does not count.
In 2010, there were 235,940,406 people of voting age in the US.
In 2010, there were 206,332,870 people of voting age with drivers licenses in the US.
That means that 87.5% of the voting age public had drivers licenses.

I'll try to find the PEW study again, but of those that voted 98.7% had to show ID.

Quote:
Exactly. The state of Texas has now been given the green light to disenfranchise voters that cons don't like. I'm pleased to see you admit it.

And please clarify why the FEDERAL government should solve Texas' problem. I though you cons were all about state's rights and personal responsibility.
Ok, I think you have gone off your meds.

Here are the requirements for NJ, CA, TN and TX. If you notice, they have the exact same requirements.

New Jersey Department of State - Division of Elections

Texas Voting

State and Federal Voter Identification Requirements | Voter Information | Official Voter Information Guide | California Secretary of State

Tennessee Department of State: Elections

Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
The texas redistricting map is just the beginning of what these white republicans have in mind. Wait until they start switching poll locations.
Do you deny when the dems had control of the House for 40 YEARS, the didn't draw the districts to suit themselves?

Now the repubs have control of the House and they will change them back.

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

I'd bet you never complained when the dems did it, over and over for 4 censuses.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

JMqueen logically shot down Harrier's attempts at an answer.

And why don't YOU seek the solutions, since you support the problem? Again, where is the personal responsibility?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
JMqueen logically shot down Harrier's attempts at an answer.

And why don't YOU seek the solutions, since you support the problem? Again, where is the personal responsibility?
What problem? Why is it ok when NJ wants ID in order to vote, but it is a problem when a southern state implements the same requirement?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Harrier still hasn't told me why he hates legal citizens who don't have the means to get to these voter ID centers.

Or perhaps Harrier believes that's the price some people just have to pay so that states can crack down on statistically nonexistent voter fraud? Perhaps Harrier also hates veterans, and sick people, and old people, who will have difficulty getting to the voter ID center?

Anxiously waiting Harrier's explanation. Wait, what's that sound .... crickets?
"legal citizens who don't have the means to get to these voter ID centers."

Probably the same way they get to the doctor, or the grocery store, or the drug store, or any where else.

Or are you claiming ALL of them NEVER go anywhere out side of their homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies