Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Shhhh....you're undermining their pointless narrative.....

All these allegations of disenfranchising voters is just fiction. They will cling to anything they can to keep painting the GOP as a party consisting of nothing but angry, old, white men that hate women and minorities. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, they expect everyone else to have a short enough memory not to remember Pelosi, then candidate Obama, NOW, and other Democrat aligned groups trashing Hillary Clinton for nothing more than being a female. They expect you to forget that good old Robert Byrd was a leader in one of the largest hate groups in the U.S., etc. Factual evidence just does not support their assertions.

Bottom line, they will continue screeching that any voter ID, in any state is nothing more than a barrier to the right and/or ability to vote. Translation, we don't want any potential method for reducing electoral fraud introduced into the process. Undocumented aliens (illegal aliens), and the deceased are not supposed to vote. Poll workers in Ohio are not supposed to vote more than once, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Because this thread became about Texas pretty quick.
What this law did was to put Texas and other states at equal footing to all states.

"It's only fair".

Your faux outrage about housebound poor is moot because this issue would have come up in those states that already require voter ID.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
If you call trying to prevent almost certain voter disenfranchisement "grasping at straws," that says a lot more about you than about me.[shrug]

The only one grasping at straws are you and your fellow Democrats.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
In 2010, there were 235,940,406 people of voting age in the US.
In 2010, there were 206,332,870 people of voting age with drivers licenses in the US.
That means that 87.5% of the voting age public had drivers licenses.

I'll try to find the PEW study again, but of those that voted 98.7% had to show ID.

Ok, I think you have gone off your meds.

Here are the requirements for NJ, CA, TN and TX. If you notice, they have the exact same requirements.

New Jersey Department of State - Division of Elections

Texas Voting

State and Federal Voter Identification Requirements | Voter Information | Official Voter Information Guide | California Secretary of State

Tennessee Department of State: Elections
I have never had to show a photo id while voting in CA. From your link for CA: "In most cases, California voters are not required to show identification before casting ballots." From reading the link it appears you may have an additional requirement if there was an issue when you registered.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:06 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Shhhh....you're undermining their pointless narrative.....

All these allegations of disenfranchising voters is just fiction. They will cling to anything they can to keep painting the GOP as a party consisting of nothing but angry, old, white men that hate women and minorities. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, they expect everyone else to have a short enough memory not to remember Pelosi, then candidate Obama, NOW, and other Democrat aligned groups trashing Hillary Clinton for nothing more than being a female. They expect you to forget that good old Robert Byrd was a leader in one of the largest hate groups in the U.S., etc. Factual evidence just does not support their assertions.

Bottom line, they will continue screeching that any voter ID, in any state is nothing more than a barrier to the right and/or ability to vote. Translation, we don't want any potential method for reducing electoral fraud introduced into the process. Undocumented aliens (illegal aliens), and the deceased are not supposed to vote. Poll workers in Ohio are not supposed to vote more than once, etc.
Electoral fraud is statistically nonexistent, but keep trying. I actually laughed at the bold above because we don't have to "cling" to anything. Everyone KNOWS the GOP consists of angry, old, white men that hate women and minorities -- they prove it every single day.

I for one applaud them for their consistency, and thank them for continually alienating the electorate.

So, to translate the cons on this thread: Yes, we are trying to disenfranchise people and we got no way of hiding it, so we'll just make stuff up.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
If you call trying to prevent almost certain voter disenfranchisement "grasping at straws," that says a lot more about you than about me.[shrug]
Answer Harrier's question.

Do you support illegal aliens being able to vote in U.S. elections?

Yes or no?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Answer Harrier's question.

Do you support illegal aliens being able to vote in U.S. elections?

Yes or no?
I didn't answer your question because you didn't ask me, you asked another poster who said NOTHING about illegals. It was a transparent effort to divert attention from a legitimate point that you could not otherwise counter.

Contrary to C-D con myth, and the usual habit of taking a liberal position and twisting into a strawman, no one wants illegals to vote. As I and several others have stated over and over, we are concerned with legal citizens who are old, infirm, or poor. You keep trying feverishly to distract us, but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
no one wants illegals to vote.
O.K., you don't want illegal aliens to vote.

Great.

How do you propose to prevent them from doing so?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Actually, 74% of the country beleives people should show ID in order to vote and the vast majority do. Very few places will let you vote without any ID and none will let you register without government ID.

Democrat, Republican, Independent, white, black, male, female, rich, poor, etc all believe so.

In your view, should voters in the United States be required to show official, government-issued photo identification -- such as a driver’s license -- when they cast ballots on Election Day, or shouldn't they have to do this? - The Washington Po

Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
O.K., you don't want illegal aliens to vote.

Great.

How do you propose to prevent them from doing so?
I don't. Illegals voting is statistically non-existent, therefore I see no need to disenfranchise legal citizens to "prevent" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies