Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

I find it's interesting that while all these people are running as fast as they can away from her, even pulling her books off their shelves (Sams and Walmart) her new book is selling like hotcakes.
All I've to to say to those stores is
Actually it was announced this morning that her publisher is dropping her new book. I don't hate her and if others' experiences are any indication (like Al Sharpton) we are nothing if not champions of second chances. She'll be back, and I have no problem with that. I just don't think she's being punished any more than any other celebrity or even politician whose ever had things come back to haunt them, and the business decisions being made around this are just that, business. Witch hunts, if that is what this is, are a time-honored American tradition and it happens to all sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
No but they certainly are scared of 'em. Jesse the extorter and wrong way Al of Twana Brawley fame among others can gin up enough controversy to cost them customers.

It's a hot potato that no retail company wants to be anywhere near and it's much easier to fire the older white woman than to let things play out.

I find it's interesting that while all these people are running as fast as they can away from her, even pulling her books off their shelves (Sams and Walmart) her new book is selling like hotcakes.

No matter what pandering they do, no matter what phony outrage is ginned up for money or camera time one fact still remains, she's got bucks and will maintain a fan base.

A while down the road this will all be forgotten as the next high profile "racist" is chosen and she'll still be just cooking right along.
But 'Jesse' is defending Paula Deen. Whoda thunk?

Anyhoo, there goes that argument about who is wishing Miss Paula ill will.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
No but they certainly are scared of 'em. Jesse the extorter and wrong way Al of Twana Brawley fame among others can gin up enough controversy to cost them customers.

It's a hot potato that no retail company wants to be anywhere near and it's much easier to fire the older white woman than to let things play out.

No matter what pandering they do, no matter what phony outrage is ginned up for money or camera time one fact still remains, she's got bucks and will maintain a fan base.

A while down the road this will all be forgotten as the next high profile "racist" is chosen and she'll still be just cooking right along.
Jesse Jackson is not one of the ones exploiting this -- he made a good point that this witchhunt actually accomplishes nothing.

There is quite a bit about Jesse Jackson defending her:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3506218.html

Jackson says if Deen is willing to acknowledge mistakes and make changes, "she should be reclaimed rather than destroyed."

Jackson says he's more troubled by racial disparities in jobs, lending, health care, business opportunities and the criminal justice system.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rthy-redempti/

The Rev. Jesse Jackson said he will help celebrity chef Paula Deen work past the public relations disaster from her admitted past use of a racial slur.

The civil rights leader said Miss Deen shouldn’t be the “sacrificial lamb” in the racial discrimination battle..

Last edited by malamute; 06-29-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Political Correctness" is a creation of the Left (Donna Shalala in particular). It was the "politically correct" Left which demanded removal of Paula Deen from the Food Network, and the sock puppets at the Food Network, ignoring the voters in the Market of Consumers (Paula Deen fans, who I'm sure number in the millions) complied.

Paula Deen, did not begin life as anything other than an "ordinary woman." Success comes through hard work, perseverance, and a love of what one is doing. Those endorsements came with her success, and they were well earned.

The Food Network has made a mistake. Viewers of the Food Network pay the bills by buying the products which advertisers promote. Without viewers, there are no sponsors, and no Food Network. That is how the Market works.

Your attitude is so typical of the Left, which hates success. Anyone who "makes it" in life is condemned, and if you can find something in ones background (as in Paula Deen's case) to destroy them with, that is what you will do. In doing so, you destroy more than one person. You destroy the enjoyment of millions of Americans.

Leftist will be happy when no one has the ability to become wealthy, but everyone is grovelling at the feet of government (and a Dear Leader like Obama) for a hand out.

This great country of ours, this "America" that our founders created, which has lifted more people out of poverty than any system of government in the history of man, is being destroyed by this kind of nonsense, of which you are a participant.

You are to be shamed.
This post shows that this entire thread was a shame. Liberals did not make this women lose her endorsements, many of her fans did, Individuals who actually bought her products.

The above shows that you just wanted an excuse to attack the left.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Please retract your statement that I am demanding she be destroyed. That is not and never has been my position.

As usual, when words and arguments fail - righties always resort to personal attacks and straw man arguments. Tell me AGAIN - where I demanded she be 'destroyed'.

Please be advised that it is a matter of supreme indifference to me what happens to Paula Deen. I'm not a fan and never was. I am simply, as are you, discussing a thread on CD.
Okay -- you didn't but it seems very odd that if this woman has been some rabid racist all these years and apparently is quite a known celebrity, that only in the past few days anyone has cared -- but now it's all you see when you turn on the news or some news show.

That's why I think it's a media witchhunt more than anything. I never saw any threads posts about Deen and her racist stance on the political forum until just now, nor has the liberal media cared about her now -- even though they're making her out to be some long-time racist.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I think she is one of those Creepy Ass Crackers, our hero Trayvon spoke of!
She doesn't seem creepy to me at all. I doubt you'll find Paula Deen stalking black teens in the dark packing a 9mm.

I dont think she hates black folk that badly.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If that is it, there shouldn't be an issue.

no that isn't just "it"

Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What exactly did Paula Deen say or do that was so controversial? I haven't been following this.
Here are the allegations:

http://www.atlawblog.com/wp-content/...-Complaint.pdf

Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I will take the word of those who actually know her which I suspect you do not but are just going along with the media witchhunt. Some people are gullible and fall for everything they hear on the news. Some people apparently have known her and most do not. I suspect for those who suddenly are piling on, it has more to do with their anti-South bigotry more than anything.

In fact I've never seen you post your anti-Paula Deen hatred until just the past couple days, why wasn't she an issue before?

Pastor friend says Paula Deen can't be a racist – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

But Pastor Gregory A. Tyson Sr. from First Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church in Savannah, Georgia, defended Deen to WTOC, a CNN affiliate.

"I know her," Tyson said. "My children have been to her house. I've been to her house, I've sat on her furniture. I've been all through her house. What racist would let a black man walk all through her house?"

Todd Starnes slams "liberal, anti-South media" in defense of Paula Deen - National Political Rebuttal | Examiner.com

"The liberal, anti-South media is trying to crucify Paula Deen," he wrote. "They accuse her of using a derogatory word to describe a black person.

"Paula admitted she used the word -- back in the 1980s -- when a black guy walked into a bank, stuck a gun in her face and ordered her to hand over the cash.
Have you actually READ the complaint/accusations against Paula Deen and her brother? It's not a liberal conspiracy for crying out loud. Do your research before making these outlandish accusations that liberals are attacking Paula Deen out of hatred. I frankly don't see "hatred" on this thread for Ms. Deen. I see a lot of over-reaching to make liberals out to be the bad guy here.

The fault lies with Ms. Deen who appears to have done nothing to stop the sick abuses of her brother towards their employees. If liberals and conservatives alike can't agree on that after reading the allegations, then we as a country have bigger problems.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Politicians and "the left" didn't shut Paula Deen down--that's an unbelievably stupid take on the situation. Deen's network and her corporate sponsors abandoned her because they were pretty sure her fantasizing about dressing up middle aged black men to look like slave servers at an antebellum themed wedding, among other things, (like using the "N" word) might turn off the people who buy their products. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with politics, and everything to do with the market and product branding. If you want to work with corporations, you'd better make sure you don't do anything that would embarrass them or hurt their sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies