Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times

Advertisements

The economy is great! Sales of homes over 6 million dollars on Palm Beach are as brisk as ever! The seasonal influx of Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Aston Martins continue around these parts. Why on earth would we think the economy is circling the drain when it appears that so many of the rich - the beautiful rich who are gracious enough to allow us to work for them - seem to have so much more than they had last year... and the year before that, and the year before that.

Don't know about Main Street, but times are good on Worth Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I don't need to see economic figures to know that the "economy sucks." I just have to look at the lean faces of my neighbours; the struggles people make in the super-market about what to buy, and how to save; the house fixing tasks folks are forgoing; the old jacket on a cold boy's face and his ungloved paws....we ain't a good economy, but we are real good at looking large.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
In some ways I do.

The Bay Area economy has been performing very well for a few years now, after a very hard 5 years of dot-com destruction.

Our major concern now is the housing meltdown but we are faring a lot better then many places. Still, its not good for the overall economy.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Yes, the economy looks bright indeed, if you have petroleum stocks or defense stocks, otherwise, no. The good times are OVER.
I'm sorry, but that is an absurd statement.

Hillary is going to make everything better.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I don't need to see economic figures to know that the "economy sucks." I just have to look at the lean faces of my neighbours; the struggles people make in the super-market about what to buy, and how to save; the house fixing tasks folks are forgoing; the old jacket on a cold boy's face and his ungloved paws....we ain't a good economy, but we are real good at looking large.
My goodness, where do you live? Widespread starvation? No winter clothing?

Confess, now....you just finished Oliver Twist.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm sorry, but that is an absurd statement.

Hillary is going to make everything better.
If you say so!

Actually she is near the bottom of my list of candidates. Just another corporate mouthpiece.

So, what is absurd about my statement?
Are you denying that the oil industry and the defense industry are making fat profits?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Nope! I live right here in the 21st century in farm and hill land. Folks are struggling here; barns abandoned; and houses getting to look tired.

Now, Oliver Twist, he's another boy without mittens, ain't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
My goodness, where do you live? Widespread starvation? No winter clothing?

Confess, now....you just finished Oliver Twist.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Wall Street firms see recession.
Wall Street firms see recession nearing | Reuters
By John Poirier

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The economy might be edging toward a recession in the wake of mortgage-related credit woes plaguing the financial markets, bankers and analysts said on Monday.

Moderator cut: copyrighted article

Homes brace for heating oil highs - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 02:46 AM..

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM

OTR, are you in New England? I just read an article on the impact of the high cost of heating oil and it will have on this region. Lots of people will have to make a choice between food, heat, gas for their car and medical care. Looks like it will be grim winter for many folks.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 AM

Final note... America, when in doubt go shopping - G W Bush

that says it all, doesn't it?
too bad people spent more than they could afford and now the house of cards is collapsing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies