Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lawless reigns in California. I guess this is what you get when you vote Dem, laws are enforced on a whim.

Proposition 8 backers petition Supreme Court to block gay marriages in California - U.S. News

LLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL.

The session is all but over. The court just ruled. What is the emergency that would force the court to take up an appeal???

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL

Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Didn't the people of California vote they didn't want gay marriage to be legal ?

California is predominately Democratic and Liberal.

Why did they vote like this ?
People of a state can vote in majority to bring slavery back...that doesnt make the law constitutional.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 AM

596 posts, read 730,086 times
Quote:
Lawless reigns in California. I guess this is what you get when you vote Dem, laws are enforced on a whim.

Proposition 8 backers petition Supreme Court to block gay marriages in California - U.S. News
Your obsession with all things homosexual continues to be quite bizarre. On a side note, I see that you're from Maryland, which happens to be one of the bluest states in the country. I live in Maryland as well, and same sex marriage is legal both here and in DC, as you well know. Given your apparent disdain for all things liberal and your obvious issues with gay marriage, I'm surprised that you continue to grace the state of Maryland with your presence. For someone who doesn't seem to like when people vote "dem," I can only imagine how you must feel about this region in general.

As for these prop 8 folks, they need to let it go already. The Supreme Court is not going to block these weddings. The justices have made their decision, and they're not going to change their minds. This emergency motion is nothing more than a last ditch desperate attempt to keep fighting a battle they've already lost.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did the people in the south not want interracial marriage?

We are not allowed to vote away other citizens rights. Sorry
You Ok with Polygamy ?

For the record, I have a gay son in SF who's with a partner. We had a commitment ceremony years ago for them, so please do not think I'm against SSM.

I am against the courts overturning very easily the popular vote of the people. What would have been your opinion if the state voted for gay marriage and the SC overturned that decision ?

The courts should have minimal say in overturning popular vote of the people. You may like it today but it could take away many of your rights tomorrow. What if the SC was heavily majority extreme against human rights ? Say there were 7 Muslims on the court who wanted to take away all your rights as a female ?

You gonna like when a radical court starts overturning all your rights the state or Feds say you have ?
You gonna like when a radical court overturns the right to be Pro-Choice ?

Look at Eqypt and Iran. Those 2 countries used to have a lot of womens rights and they've been taken away by the courts.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:09 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
People of a state can vote in majority to bring slavery back...that doesnt make the law constitutional.
We're not talking slavery here.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
You Ok with Polygamy ?

For the record, I have a gay son in SF who's with a partner. We had a commitment ceremony years ago for them, so please do not think I'm against SSM.

I am against the courts overturning very easily the popular vote of the people. What would have been your opinion if the state voted for gay marriage and the SC overturned that decision ?

The courts should have minimal say in overturning popular vote of the people. You may like it today but it could take away many of your rights tomorrow. What if the SC was heavily majority extreme against human rights ? Say there were 7 Muslims on the court who wanted to take away all your rights as a female ?

You gonna like when a radical court starts overturning all your rights the state or Feds say you have ?
You gonna like when a radical court overturns the right to be Pro-Choice ?

Look at Eqypt and Iran. Those 2 countries used to have a lot of womens rights and they've been taken away by the courts.
You fail to realize the flaw in your argument...The court is not the final say; the people are. Contitutional amendments are the final say. If a majority[3/5th] of the American people want change..any change, then can vote it in.

You seem to be having a problem with simple civics and the US Conatitution...read up.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
We're not talking slavery here.
It is a comparitive example...replace slavery with SSM. Man you are ...I better not say.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:35 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
I have to ask, why do folk think SSM will lead to bestiality and polygamy becoming legalised. This is utter crap. Ten years after SA gave the thumbs up for SSM there have been zero petitions for either.

SSM is not a slippery slope, I really wish you folk would do research on countries that have legalised SSM and SEE there is no extension as you all "apparently" fear. It really just makes you look stupid.

In SA, with the traditional black culture there is some polygamy, hell our own idiot president has 9 wives. This is a culture thing which BTW MOST black folk do no longer follow. They refer to uncles and aunts as fathers and mothers. Usually, extra wives stay in different towns and for whatever reason, they knocked up some lass but choose to be responsible to the offspring - complicated is stating it mildly.

Bestiality, one party is not able to consent as it is with paedophilia.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:

An Arizona-based outfit telling California state Gvt. what it can and can't do? Sounds like the Bigot's Last Hurrah - and last billable hour for their lawyers, poor things.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did the people in the south not want interracial marriage?

We are not allowed to vote away other citizens rights. Sorry

There is no constitutional right to state recognition of a marriage, i don't think government should recognize any marriages. Government has voted away property rights of the poor. sometimes government really does vote away other citizens rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies