Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 08:27 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Where did you you get your law degree and are you a member of the Florida Bar?
Not a lawyer, never claimed to be, however I have worked many years in the criminal justice system, and my job requires that I know a few things about the laws and rules of evidence. I'm not restricted to SYG and self defense.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If black teens are committing most of the burglaries in the neighborhood would you profile old white women instead?

TSA? LOL!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
That is what they said, but the fact is that it has everything to do with race. Charges were only filed after the predominately black community, conducted demonstrations in the area, led by Al Sharpton and his ilk. On television, I have seen a mix of black and white supporters for TM, but I have not seen any black supporters of GZ.
Hmmm, how do you think the Civil Rights Act ultimately got passed and enforced?

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a country where "the people" can demonstrate and protest about things they government does or does not do!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 AM

17,357 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Not a lawyer, never claimed to be, however I have worked many years in the criminal justice system, and my job requires that I know a few things about the laws and rules of evidence. I'm not restricted to SYG and self defense.
Several times I have watched you post various versions of "are you an attorney?" when people post their own interpretations of law, rules, statutes & judicial procedures.

Unless you are an licensed, practicing attorney - their opinions hold the same amount of water as yours and you should probably stop w/ the "where do YOU practice law?" posts.

Last edited by Chuckity; 07-04-2013 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: spelling. product of cps. sorry.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
I think people are saying that Martin was a "not guilty" teen the night he was shot and killed. NOBODY is "innocent".....naive perhaps, but not "innocent"
If it is true that on the night in question that Martin in fact did attack Zimmerman, then in your mind is he still such a "not guilty" teen? If he is my teen, he is guilty and faces my judgement. I think if he were your teen, you as a reasonable and responsible adult would have punished his behavior as well. Perhaps if his parents had more involvement in his life, and took their son under control, we wouldn't be having this discussion and young Mr. Martin would still be alive today...

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
No, that's not what the law or the criminal rules of evidence say. You may teach CC weapons classes, but this part of the law is apparently not considered something important to know just because you're carrying a concealed weapon. A person's reputation in the community and character is a whole other "can of worms." There are lots of laws and rules of evidence which pertain to that subject regarding WHEN and under what circumstances reputation/character can be brought before the jury. Zimmerman's taped call to the NEN was just like he got up on the stand and was testifying. NOBODY on the prosecution side has brought up Martin's reputation/character, even those the Defense has come close in trying to bring it up in cross examination. In fact, some testimony which O'Mara elicited from Serino was struck from the record and the Jury was instruction to disregard it because he was getting too close to "reputation/character" and the Court had ruled prior to trial that that would NOT be allowed based on the law and rules of evidence.

I think it must be those very classes that has caused soooooo much confusion out there in the real world about the law. Seems everybody thinks the law is limited to those simple things taught in those classes.
We don't teach that......it was just my opinion.

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Wrong. That's not the law nor what the criminal rules of evidence say.

Btw, where did you get your law degree, and how many years have you been working as a Circuit Court Judge in Florida?
I don't live or work in Florida, but as a general rule you can introduce evidence to rebut a character attack once made by the opposing side, as explained by federal rule of evidence 404. Florida probably has a similar rule. At first the evidence might not have been relevant, but once the prosecution made its attack then Zimmerman should have been able to bring that in, which didn't happen here. The evidence rules can be subjective and are often left up to the discretion of the trial judge, who does not always make good decisions.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What hypocrisy. A teen was profiled due to his being black and you are in an uproar because he called a guy tailing him a cracker. Sorry, this is a sorry azz excuse for your outrage.
Bingo, You Win !!!

The Media and Team Martin were successful beyond their wildest expectations.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:

Isn't it wonderful that we live in a country where "the people" can demonstrate and protest about things they government does or does not do!
The civil rights at was legislation.

criminal charges aren't supposed to be a result of demonstrations and protests.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:40 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:

The point was that had TM been white there would not have been demonstrations, and the findings of the investigators would not have been challenged. There would not have been a special prosecutor. I am simply saying this is about race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies