Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I am pretty sure that Martin was not about to do any crimes that night. It does matter if Martin was a thug, when you are trying to determine if it was possible that Martin might have attacked Zimmerman first, as was described by Zimmerman. Most of us have known people at sometime in our lives that have a propensity to get into fights. I knew people like that and I learned to avoid them. Especially when they start drinking.
why would martin attack zimmerman if zimmerman wasn't following him? what did martin just walk up and start attacking zimmerman for no reason? or did the teen feel threatened by someone who was stalking/following him around at night?

I would bet just about every teenage kid on the high school football team when approached by a stranger following them at night when confronted would have been defensive. not many young men would turn and run away.

had zimmerman just let the police handle it martin would not be dead and zimmerman would not be on trial.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
You will find the answers to those questions if you read Florida law pertaining to the use of reputation/character evidence and read the rules of criminal procedure as well.

The prosecution is allowed to bring in WHAT ZIMMERMAN SAID in his statements and to the dispatcher, as well as his ability to have known the law, for IMPEACHMENT PURPOSES through those statements. It's NOT about reputation/character or "motive." It's about impeachment.....Zimmerman's credibility. For example, Hannity asked Zimmerman on national TV if he was familiar with the Stand Your Ground law, and Zimmerman shook his head "no" with a smile on his face. However, evidence has now been presented that Zimmerman took courses at Seminole State College which included segments on SYG and self-defense.....in fact, Zimmerman was given an A in one of those classes. Surely looks like Zimmerman LIED to Hannity when he was asked if he knew about SYG law.
How much jail time would Bill Clinton have gotten for lying to the media? " I did not have sex with..."

Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Actually, it was the Arizona watermelon fruit juice purchased to make "lean" that we should be discussing as well.

Purple Drank is a intoxicating beverage also known by the names lean, sizzurp, and liquid codeine. It is commonly abused by southern rappers and wannabe suburban teenagers. It is a mixture of Promethazine/Codeine cough syrup and sprite, with a few jolly ranchers and/or skittles thrown in.

Urban Dictionary: lean

BigHyyphyD, further down the page goes into more detail:
watermelon drank
Are most of those ingredients for taste, or psycho-effect?

What does "Sprite" contribute to the formula that wouldn't be accomplished by Dr. Pepper?

Citric acid?

Is Dr. Pepper a racist drink?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why would martin attack zimmerman if zimmerman wasn't following him? what did martin just walk up and start attacking zimmerman for no reason? or did the teen feel threatened by someone who was stalking/following him around at night?

I would bet just about every teenage kid on the high school football team when approached by a stranger following them at night when confronted would have been defensive. not many young men would turn and run away.

had zimmerman just let the police handle it martin would not be dead and zimmerman would not be on trial.
I guess my parents brought me up a little better than most then. I would have run and kept running. If I was afraid to lead them home I would have run somewhere else where I would feel safer. If I could outrun the person I was afraid of, I would run anywhere. When I was Trayvon's age, the closest thing to a cell phone was Dick Tracy's, wrist radio. Had I had the technology of today, you would never find a video of a fight on my cell phone.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I always wonder about that contention. If the defense is claiming self-defense and the prosecution is allowed to bring into question Zimmerman's past actions, then why not the past actions of the person the defense is claiming to have attacked Zimmerman? What I mean is why would one person's behaviors be an indicator of possible motive that night but not the other?
With a different judge, I think the more relevant stuff would come in. The things I see as being relevant are:

1. Text about fighting where he says made a guy bleed from the nose but he still wants more.

2. Text about fighting where he says someone sat on him and he lost that round

3. Texts to him that say he needs to quit fighting so much and his response that he's not going to stop. (Texts to him may not be admissible though. Eerily, one of those texts told him he was going to end up with a bullet in the chest if he didn't stop. Sad looking back on it now.)

4. Texts between him and Rachel that day that show they were fighting all day. Go to state of mind that night.

5. Texts where he talks about hiding drugs to take them to Sanford and buying more drugs in Sanford.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
I guess my parents brought me up a little better than most then. I would have run and kept running. If I was afraid to lead them home I would have run somewhere else where I would feel safer. If I could outrun the person I was afraid of, I would run anywhere. When I was Trayvon's age, the closest thing to a cell phone was Dick Tracy's, wrist radio. Had I had the technology of today, you would never find a video of a fight on my cell phone.
I would probably run to, but the mentality to fight when pushed is hard wired into lots of folks.
bar fights come to mind.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM

There's no doubt in my mind that this judge is under pressure from someone above to get a conviction. If not, then she is not a good judge and probably not a good person from the get go.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
If he were four years older, when found with a burglary tool and jewelry that wasn't his, Trayvon would have a criminal record. If he were four years older when found with a baggie containing pot residue, Trayvon would have a criminal record.

If George Zimmerman profiled Trayvon as a criminal he was correct. The only difference was Trayvon was too young to have an official record showing that fact.
He had been expelled from school 3 times. At the time of his death he was on a 10 day expulsion.

Yes, they never pursed charges on the Jewelry in his backpack. This kid was already starting a life as a petty criminal but was still in the juvenile system.

If he had not been expelled from school for the 3rd time, he would be safe at home today sleeping in his own bed and celebrating the 4th of July.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM

370 posts, read 247,109 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure that Martin was not about to do any crimes that night.
oh well..ok, then..I guess that settles it.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would probably run to, but the mentality to fight when pushed is hard wired into lots of folks.
bar fights come to mind.
I knew one guy when I was in my early twenties that only needed to have a drink and he was ready. Even with his friends or acquaintances. And he was a good sized man. I just learned to not go with the crowd when he was part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies