Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM

77,024 posts, read 47,365,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I agree with you - my experience has been that Germans have no interest in owning guns.
All governments which impose such laws claim "citizens have no interest in such things anyway". If they had no interest, there would be no need for the laws. Do you understand that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM

25,903 posts, read 24,615,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
All governments which impose such laws claim "citizens have no interest in such things anyway". If they had no interest, there would be no need for the laws. Do you understand that?
It is not the government, but us people who have observed that lack of interest in guns. If people felt threatened maybe things would be different. But German police have a good reputation, there are few guns around, thus little violent crime, thus little fear or need to protect oneself, thus no interest in guns.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,817,642 times
Quote:
Thats a pretty sweeping claim.

Why is pedophilia illegal? Does a sizable portion of the population need to be restricted by government to not rape children?

Or maybe they can think and make decisions for themselves.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It is not the government, but us people who have observed that lack of interest in guns.
So, the government there creates complex laws to regulate items which people have absolutely no interest in owning in the first place And yet, there are 25 million guns in circulation, 4th most on the planet...... It's not adding up my friend.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 AM

46,841 posts, read 25,778,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My sympathies for all the Germans that will never be able to enjoy shooting as a sport or a defense.
Tons of Germans shoot for sport.

Yet here's the thing: Once you've been through military training, the gun-as-cult-object thinking is sort of redirected. Military-issue firearms are a colossal pain in the rear - big people with stripes yell at you for the slightest excuse: If you hold it wrong, if you point it the wrong way, if it's dirty, if it gets rusty, if it's lost - overall, it's just a ton of drama. To most Europeans, fascination with firearms is the hallmark of the greenest of green recruits.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,246,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Yet here's the thing: Once you've been through military training, the gun-as-cult-object thinking is sort of redirected. Military-issue firearms are a colossal pain in the rear - big people with stripes yell at you for the slightest excuse: If you hold it wrong, if you point it the wrong way, if it's dirty, if it gets rusty, if it's lost - overall, it's just a ton of drama. To most Europeans, fascination with firearms is the hallmark of the greenest of green recruits.
And Americans. Come to think of it, American gun fanatics do have some of the same characteristics of green recruits. Tough guy wannabes.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 AM

25,903 posts, read 24,615,873 times
Quote:
So, the government there creates complex laws to regulate items which people have absolutely no interest in owning in the first place And yet, there are 25 million guns in circulation, 4th most on the planet...... It's not adding up my friend.
1. See post before yours.
2. There are not 25m guns in circulation, there are 20m all in all, 15m of which old rifles, many of which are never used and owned by far fewer than 15m people.

I find it odd when foreigners keep telling me how people in my own country think and behave...

Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM

4,499 posts, read 6,318,415 times
Quote:

Amen.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
1. See post before yours.
2. There are not 25m guns in circulation, there are 20m all in all, 15m of which old rifles, many of which are never used and owned by far fewer than 15m people.

I find it odd when foreigners keep telling me how people in my own country think and behave...
Someone has to give you the facts, since you obviously do not know. For example, how would you possibly know most of those rifles have never been used? You don't know, but you are happy to declare something and then say "I know, because I live here". I dont' care where you live, but when people pass personal opinon for fact, I will correct it.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I did not find my service rifle a pain in the rear, and the way I viewed it did not change while I was in service. As a matter of fact I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about with your last sentence, but I am glad you see yourself as the spokesman of "most Europeans". After all, you do live Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies