Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times

Advertisements

Chicago prepares for new concealed carry gun law

"We just had a weekend where something like 48 people were shot, seven died," said Otis McDonald, 79, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that ended with the U.S. Supreme Court tossing out Chicago's strict gun ban three years ago. "Now law abiding citizens like myself ... can carry them when they want to and not carry them when they don't want to, and the people out there who will do us harm won't know when we got them and when we don't."

At City Hall, where Chicago's anti-gun campaign has centered for years, the reaction to concealed carry legislation has been relatively quiet. The reasons seem to boil down to this: The city can do little about stopping the law because a federal appeals court ordered Illinois to end its public possession ban by this summer.

Well, the first months of this should be interesting.

I'm not crazy about Chicago possibly being highlighted as an example of anything - but it could happen in this case if mayhem ensues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
What mayhem?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Small favors.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What mayhem?
In theory, criminals should back down since there would be an increase in risk for partaking criminal activity since regular people can arm themselves. But they have had free reign for awhile and may not take kindly to citizens arming themselves. So there may be some gun battles (mayhem) in the early days of concealed carry. I hope not, but I won't be surprised if there are some battles.

And the media would them chime in about how terrible guns are.

We are talking Chicago here...

Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In theory, criminals should back down since there would be an increase in risk for partaking criminal activity since regular people can arm themselves. But they have had free reign for awhile and may not take kindly to citizens arming themselves. So there may be some gun battles (mayhem) in the early days of concealed carry. I hope not, but I won't be surprised if there are some battles.

Gun battles? Really?

I am not aware of an eruption of gun battles in any area after CCW was permitted. CCW holders are typically not interested in such a thing.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Gun battles? Really?

I am not aware of an eruption of gun battles in any area after CCW was permitted. CCW holders are typically not interested in such a thing.
I know...

Again - this is CHICAGO. That's all I'm saying.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,461 times
In Illinois, conceal carry is already allowed in Piatt, Peoria, McLean, Madison, Randolph and Tazewell counties.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:

How is that possible?

Firstly, no state with CC law experienced that.

Secondly, most Chicago's crime are black on black. Well the poor blacks have been stripped of their rights to own firearm by the racist gun laws they put in place. Whites and politicians have never had problem accessing firearms.

So, this doesn't change a thing.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times
Quote:
Has such mayhem (criminals stepping up their aggressiveness to prevent newly-legalized CCW permit holders from carrying weapons) ever happened in the history of the country?

I can think of one such time: British royalty and their governors, cracking down on colonists and trying to take away their guns when the colonists resisted their oppression.

Remind me again, how that worked out for them.....??

Aside from that, has the prediction you mentioned, EVER actually happened, in all the times law-abiding citizens gained the right to keep and bear arms legally?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Just because I have a right to carry a concealed hand gun does not mean I am going hunting humans. The gun is there to help me defend myself against humans hunting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies