Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,003,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Spoken like a southerner.
What part of the South you talking about or did you mean the Whole South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,038,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
What part of the South you talking about or did you mean the Whole South?
You took that way too literally. It was a joke.

To answer your question I'll go with the southern states noted as having Low IQ on this chart:

Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM

569 posts, read 669,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

The number of BLM land leases for oil and gas have been cut in half over the last 20 years, and cut by 8000 in the last 5 years. Drilling permits require a 3160, which can't even be downloaded from the BLM.gov site. The links are dead.

"Never trust anyone who does not state their information source. Most often, it is the lack of information from the oil company that holds up projects, not government paperwork." - BLM employee

According to the government, the government is never at fault.

Private land:
Well Permitting

No less than 8 forms and as many steps. 4 bonds are required. Divisions approval is required (PCWO), and finally:

For all New Wells, approval of proposed operations is subject to the following:
· Protection of all hydrocarbon zones and all surface and subsurface fresh waters through adequate casing and cementing practices, and proper drilling procedures;
· Adequate blowout prevention equipment (see MO7); and
· Proper well spacing (Section 1721-1721.9 CCR)

Privateers have no chance, just the way big oil likes it. Have they started drilling your land? The average time just to get an approval (after jumping through all of the hoops) is nearly a year.

Who did you lease your land to?
We were approached by 2 with serious interest and 1 slight interest. The 1st was Occidental and 2nd was a small oil company. Once the 2nd saw the infrastructure Oxy had in place they said they couldn't compete. They are already drilling in the parcel next to ours but who knows what will happen. I expect it to drag out a long time.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM

40,931 posts, read 48,965,742 times
Quote:
You took that way too literally. It was a joke.

To answer your question I'll go with the southern states noted as having Low IQ on this chart:
I guess it's true that ignorance is Bliss.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I guess it's true that ignorance is Bliss.
I guess I can get behind that. The less education people have, the more ignorant they are and it may very well be bliss. It's impressive how much of a difference in education there is from state to state.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,003,968 times
Quote:
I guess I can get behind that. The less education people have, the more ignorant they are and it may very well be bliss. It's impressive how much of a difference in education there is from state to state.
Education and ignorance have nothing to do with each other,I have met many educated fools and complete idiots with degrees hanging on their walls in walmart frames and many ranchers and const workers who are nothing short of genious in how they solve problems

Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Education and ignorance have nothing to do with each other,I have met many educated fools and complete idiots with degrees hanging on their walls in walmart frames and many ranchers and const workers who are nothing short of genious in how they solve problems
That's not quite true. There's a paper written by Lazers, PhD, UNC that discusses the connection between ignorance and education. There's also the work of Hardy, PhD (1986), Princeton. There's a definite correlation between education and ignorance. I'd suggest you read their work and the empirical work on which they are based. Surely there are outliers as well.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,935,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And most state's are grappling with pensions and such..... What's your point?

As for the country.... based on your claim we need to reform SS and reign in military spending.
California struggling with their own pensions IS A PROBLEM THEY CREATED by having too many dam expenses..

Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,088,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
California struggling with their own pensions IS A PROBLEM THEY CREATED by having too many dam expenses..
Yes it is a problem THEY created...... They should fix i, otherwise business and investors will continue to leave the state... You got a point here that relates to our quick back and forth.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 PM

131 posts, read 209,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Elections have consequences.

In 1978, fed-up California taxpayers passed Prop 13, which said that any tax increases had to be approved by a 2/3 supermajority in each of Calif's two legislative houses.

Now last November, Califonia voters elected a 2/3 majority of Democrats to both houses, for the first time since 1978.

Today the first of many tax increases voted by those Democrats (over Republican objections) went into effect, raising the state tax on gasoline by 3.5 cents. The total gas tax in Calif is now 71.5 cents/gallon in many areas, the highest in the nation.

BTW, some of that tax is the sales tax, which varies by county and city. IN many areas, sales tax is charged, not only on the price of the gas itself, but you also pay up to 9.5% sales tax on the other **taxes** too. That's right, you pay a tax on the taxes.

In case you wondered why so many California businesses are shutting their doors and leaving the state, now you know.

You voted for it, California.

Enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------

California Gas Tax Hike Goes Into Effect; Now Highest In Nation « CBS San Francisco

California Gas Tax Hike Goes Into Effect; Now Highest In Nation

July 1, 2013 6:32 AM

SACRAMENTO (CBS/AP) — Starting this week California drivers are spending more to fill up at the pump. A 3.5-cents-per-gallon tax hike went into effect Monday.

The increase was approved by the state Board of Equalization in February, in order to make up for tax revenue shortfalls in past years.

The tax hike gives the Golden State the highest gas tax in the nation, at 71.9 cents per gallon.
Marylands gax tax went up as well and honestly I have no objections to it, a minor four cent per gallon isn't going to determine if I drive or walk to the grocery store for the simple fact I could literally scrape up four cent off the ground every single-day if it were that important. Aside from that, here in Maryland our gas-tax is going to pay for much neede infrastructure improvements such as two new metro lines that are in dire need. Those who do support increases in the gas tax such as myself must also remember the likelihood of it ever declining is slim to none; I'm only stating that misc. info for future reference.

Honestly I wouldn't mine MD taxing more for gas to allow invest into energy as well, but I only wish that Maryland would work with the private sector a bit more on going green. From my understanding the Wind Farms being proposed off the Coast of Maryland aren't being funded by an energy company but instead the state, I'd rather offer energy companies that are in MD the opportunity to put cash towards a 'Energy Fund' that would simply allow them to match the State by 50% or more for Green Energies while also offering them a tax-incentive for it. It may hurt in the short-run, but in the long run those incentives will pay off. Or maybe we could come up with a tax-credit per Wind Turbine installed at State Waters that could be sold to them, that's a win-win for the energy payer, tax-payer, and the energy company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies