Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 11:04 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

We saw this what the Obama Admin wiping out school vouchers for the DC public school kids.

Next level...

Obama administration delivers ‘a nasty surprise’ to black college students, parents

An angry-sounding Obama actually called Tuesday’s Supreme Court ruling against a key part of the Voting Rights Act a “setback” for blacks. You want to know what a real setback is, Mr. President? It’s using some bureaucratic fiat to prevent black students from going to college.

In the past year, for historically black colleges and universities (HCBU), the Obama administration’s policies have led to a 36 percent drop in the volume of parent loans. That translated into an annual cut of more than $150 million. The reason, according to Education Secretary Arne Duncan, is to prevent parents from taking on too much debt — which is as patronizing as it is hypocritical. In April, Obama announced that he was pushing to make more home loans available to people with weak credit.

Who Pays for the Student-Loan Crisis?

They had kept their sons and daughters in school thanks to a popular federal loan program called "Parent PLUS." But when they applied for the loans, normally a routine transaction, they discovered that without notification, the U.S. Department of Education had changed the Parent PLUS Loans credit-history eligibility requirements by applying private-sector underwriting standards instead of looking at the family's actual repayment ability. Suddenly these parents fell below the line and their children's college education was at risk.

Does anyone find it hypocritical that as much debt as Obama has allowed to incur - that debt is the reason not to allow black students access to loans to get them into college?

In general, we should be limiting how much money the government gives away because WE HAVE NO MONEY. But that has not been Obama's plan. We give plenty of money to foreign interests, and useless ivy league studies, and union interests around the globe.

Also, the second article is from the head of the United Negro College Fund. I read thru it quickly, but I don't see any challenge to Obama as a black man to help people "who look like him" (Obama's Trayvon quote).

Obama will identify with us when he needs boots on the ground, and protests, and intimidation. But he has always been slow to help in making the future better for black people. His presidency has been a gi-normous waste of an opportunity to make life for low income black people better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
And just to make life a little harder, student loan interest rates will be going up to help pay for Obamacare.

CBO: Feds siphoning billions from student loan program to fund Obamacare

Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,552 times
Smart move. The federal government should not give out loans to people who are unlikely to pay them back--regardless of race. That's simply common sense.

And this is just further proof that Obama is president of ALL Americans, not just president of black America, which is what loony teabaggers want voters to believe. Thankfully, their efforts failed and Obama was elected twice.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
Libs will blame it on George Bush somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We saw this what the Obama Admin wiping out school vouchers for the DC public school kids.

Next level...

Obama administration delivers ‘a nasty surprise’ to black college students, parents

An angry-sounding Obama actually called Tuesday’s Supreme Court ruling against a key part of the Voting Rights Act a “setback” for blacks. You want to know what a real setback is, Mr. President? It’s using some bureaucratic fiat to prevent black students from going to college.

In the past year, for historically black colleges and universities (HCBU), the Obama administration’s policies have led to a 36 percent drop in the volume of parent loans. That translated into an annual cut of more than $150 million. The reason, according to Education Secretary Arne Duncan, is to prevent parents from taking on too much debt — which is as patronizing as it is hypocritical. In April, Obama announced that he was pushing to make more home loans available to people with weak credit.

Who Pays for the Student-Loan Crisis?

They had kept their sons and daughters in school thanks to a popular federal loan program called "Parent PLUS." But when they applied for the loans, normally a routine transaction, they discovered that without notification, the U.S. Department of Education had changed the Parent PLUS Loans credit-history eligibility requirements by applying private-sector underwriting standards instead of looking at the family's actual repayment ability. Suddenly these parents fell below the line and their children's college education was at risk.

Does anyone find it hypocritical that as much debt as Obama has allowed to incur - that debt is the reason not to allow black students access to loans to get them into college?

In general, we should be limiting how much money the government gives away because WE HAVE NO MONEY. But that has not been Obama's plan. We give plenty of money to foreign interests, and useless ivy league studies, and union interests around the globe.

Also, the second article is from the head of the United Negro College Fund. I read thru it quickly, but I don't see any challenge to Obama as a black man to help people "who look like him" (Obama's Trayvon quote).

Obama will identify with us when he needs boots on the ground, and protests, and intimidation. But he has always been slow to help in making the future better for black people. His presidency has been a gi-normous waste of an opportunity to make life for low income black people better.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Smart move. The federal government should not give out loans to people who are unlikely to pay them back--regardless of race. That's simply common sense.

And this is just further proof that Obama is president of ALL Americans, not just president of black America, which is what loony teabaggers want voters to believe. Thankfully, their efforts failed and Obama was elected twice.
Isn't there a thread where we are loaning $7 billion to Africa? The chance of them paying back on that loan is... ??

He's inconsistent. That's the problem.

I see the principle.

You see liberal team member.

I get it. We won't agree on this.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And just to make life a little harder, student loan interest rates will be going up to help pay for Obamacare.

i'm paying 7% on my student loans, so i can't really say asking others to pay 6.8% is unreasonable.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
i'm paying 7% on my student loans, so i can't really say asking others to pay 6.8% is unreasonable.
Hmm, wait till you start paying for Obamacare on top of that 7% and then see how you feel.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

Obama knows he has the black people in his pocket no matter what.. it is a color thing.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Isn't there a thread where we are loaning $7 billion to Africa? The chance of them paying back on that loan is... ??

He's inconsistent. That's the problem.

I see the principle.

You see liberal team member.

I get it. We won't agree on this.
I remember years ago seeing a special on tv and the main point was 66 percent of all money spent by our goverrnment on education was for students in other countries. We spend more money educating foreign students than our own kids here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies