Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I always thought Asians were the group with the highest number of degrees?
That's correct. Asians, and not whites, are the largest group of educated individuals in this country. But not necessarily in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM

207 posts, read 432,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's correct. Asians, and not whites, are the largest group of educated individuals in this country. But not necessarily in the world.
No, that is not correct. Asians are hold the largest percentage of college degrees in America, but there are far more white people than Asians in this country. Asians make up about 6% of America vs. 65% White-Ameircans. Only the relatively wealthy Asians make it to America, but there are far more uneducated people living in squalor in India and China than living in the middle class.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
No, that is not correct. Asians are hold the largest percentage of college degrees in America, but there are far more white people than Asians in this country. Asians make up about 6% of America vs. 65% White-Ameircans. Only the relatively wealthy Asians make it to America, but there are far more uneducated people living in squalor in India and China than living in the middle class.
Yea I meant percentage. US has the advantage of not having to deal with a billion people.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM

280 posts, read 686,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
if you understood the questions and people's responses, you would have understood they never claimed to be "white". The interviewer pressed... of the 4 races which one are you: BlacK, White, Asain or Native American...? Most answered Hispanic or didnt claim a race.

When pressed again..."which of the 4 they were"? Then they said white.

Learn the languange before you make assertions...

Yes, but they could have also answered native American since a lot of hispanics have Aztec/Mayan/Incan heritage.

There were choices.

Last edited by VGravitas; 07-08-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
As a Sicilian I never could fill out a gov form it's either white or nothing for me, and we are darker than most hispanics

Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
This thread title is easy to believe. We have two funerals tomorrow to go to in two different towns at the same time. We will be going to my uncles funeral. He was 97. Then we got another e-mail tonight from our American Legion that one of the members has passed away. I have heard they come in threes so hope this is the last three for a while.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Yes, but they could have also answered native American since a lot of hispanics have Aztec/Mayan/Incan heritage.

There were choices.
Indeed, the percentage of Native Americans in this country did increase because of an increased number of Hispanics who identified as Native American.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
As a Sicilian I never could fill out a gov form it's either white or nothing for me, and we are darker than most hispanics
I know some Sicilians who are as dark as I am.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
I figure in a thousand years or so(If humans manage to keep from blowing themselves up) "race" and "ethnicity" will but chapters in history books.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post

There were choices.

So if a Hispanic is 50% Spaniard and 50% Aztec, it's OK for them to identify with "Native American," but not as Spaniard? What if they are 60% Spaniard and 40% Aztec? Or, 25% black and 75% native? They can identify as black then? What is the genetic breakdown of the average Hispanic? I don't think there is an average, since it is a very diverse population.

Guess white folks are like paint primer, eh? Mix something else in and you get a color? By that definition there are about 5 white folks and they all live in Iceland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies