Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I had chips and salsa all over the US. Americans eat chips and salsa in every corner of this great land, From sea, to shining sea.

From the New York ilands, to the gulf stream waters, to the redwood forests, these chips and salsa was made for me and you.

Pronounce it as "sheeps" though for the authentic experience.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One of the coolest things about our country, and apparently something you either want to deny or ignore, is that our culture is an amalgam of cultures of the world. You can get all of those foods in any of our cities. We have such a rich tapestry of tastes. Most of us are thrilled to have choices and culinary experiences from around the world. Why are you such a stick in the mud about it?
He wishes the US was like merry old England. What he can't seem to accept is the fact that the US, in fact all of North America, is the land of the mixed race and cultures. But, what is culture these days anyways? Most of the world seems to have adopted the American culture of jeans, t-shirts, rock, metal, and pop anyway, even Mexico. If that is what American culture is, then the real problem is American culture supplanting most of the cultures of the world, not the other way around. The consumerist lifestyle (aka the modern lifestyle) that dominates the Americas, Europe, Eastern Asia, and creeping into South Asia, originated in 1950s USA and spread throughout the world.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
No, it's all over the country. But why are you even arguing about salsa anyway?
It's not about salsa. Salsa is a metaphor.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Biscuits and gravy are available everywhere for breakfast--grits a little less so...
Mexican food is very popular up here, and you'll find aisles in grocery stores devoted to it. Biscuits, gravy and grits? Never see them.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I didn't say that I don't eat it sometimes. It depends on which part of America you are talking about as to what is popular. In Arizona, it's probably Salsa Verde. In New England, it's probably maple syrup. In the Deep South, it's likely going to be BBQ sauce (of which there are dozens of kinds and styles such as mustard base, ketchup base, brown sugar base, vinegar base...) In Tarpon Springs FL, where there is a huge Greek population, it's going to be white yogurt dill Tziki sauce for gyros and cucumber salad. In New Orleans, it will be tabasco pepper vinegar or hot sauce. So there is nothing special about Mexican salsa and as I said is only prevelant in the southwest.
In the Northwest, Cholula or Tapatio hot sauce are becoming as common as Tabasco as hot sauces. The Vietnamese-American Sriracha sauce is becoming popular as well even outside of Asian restaurants...(http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/sl...lideshow#intro)

I'd say Mexican hot sauces are probably common across the entire Western US at this point as condiments at restaurants.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
In the Northwest, Cholula or Tapatio hot sauce are becoming as common as Tabasco as hot sauces. Sriracha sauce is becoming popular as well even outside of Asian restaurants...

I'd say Mexican hot sauces are probably common across the entire Western US at this point as condiments at restaurants.
Here in the Mid-Atlantic, our condiments are always ketchup (especially the Heinz brand in my state, since Heinz is from Pittsburgh) and restaurants here also have Tabasco hot sauce on hand (which is also the name of the Mexican state, for those that didn't know)

Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Mexican food is very popular up here, and you'll find aisles in grocery stores devoted to it. Biscuits, gravy and grits? Never see them.
Aisles of mexican food in Canada ? That's more than our supermarkets have here in Texas.
We have one aisle that is ethnic that contains the Mexican brands.

We do have Mexican supermarkets though scattered throughout the area.

You will find fresh tres leches, tortillas and bolillos in the bakery section though.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 11,377 times
And what has happened to the State of CA since the Mexicans moved in?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Aisles of mexican food in Canada ? That's more than our supermarkets have here in Texas.
We have one aisle that is ethnic that contains the Mexican brands.

We do have Mexican supermarkets though scattered throughout the area.

You will find fresh tres leches, tortillas and bolillos in the bakery section though.
Do you guys have Goya down there? I don't think you do? But, we do here thanks to the large Puerto Rican population in the Mid-Atlantic. I wonder if that's something to get mad at, especially since Puerto Rico has the largest (or one of the largest) amount of veterans, per capita, of any state or territory of the US. Someone got mad at me on here for admitting that I speak Spanish to my Puerto Rican co-workers. Well, I have WWI, WWII, and Korean War veterans in my family, so I think my ancestors and living relatives have paid the price for me to speak whatever language I damn well want

Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:

Aisles of mexican food in Canada ?
Absolutely. Aisles of Mexican products, Oriental products, Kosher products, Middle Eastern products, you name it. Available at my local Loblaws store.
That's not to mention the hundreds of small specialty shops selling ethnic food, from churros to empanadas, falafel to hummus, and every weird unidentifiable Oriental food you can imagine.
"Hey, will you get a load of this? What is it? Is it animal, vegetable or mineral? It looks like a purple spider!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies