Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times

Advertisements

The college wants to maintain a good standing.
That's the way it is today people. It's all about perception and illusion.
In K-12 we're passing them on; we've lowered the bar on standardized testing so that many more can pass.
Then onto college where subjective can come into play.

The US education system is doing a grave disservice to the future of America by playing these games of equality and diversity.

When pointed out that our global standing in academics has fallen sharply many dismiss the PISA reports saying they don't really count. They would rather just compare US state to US state and fell smug that we're better than we were last year. When you have lowered the bar that drastically, it doesn't take much to "be better than last year".

Meanwhile in 10 years the US has gone from #18 in Math to #31 in Math in PISA scores.
"Oh but other countries have caught up to us." Actually they not only caught up but surpassed us.
Latvia gets better test scores than US students.

Just remember that these students that didn't really learn and got passed on will someday be in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,151,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The college wants to maintain a good standing.
That's the way it is today people. It's all about perception and illusion.
In K-12 we're passing them on; we've lowered the bar on standardized testing so that many more can pass.
Then onto college where subjective can come into play.

The US education system is doing a grave disservice to the future of America by playing these games of equality and diversity.

When pointed out that our global standing in academics has fallen sharply many dismiss the PISA reports saying they don't really count. They would rather just compare US state to US state and fell smug that we're better than we were last year. When you have lowered the bar that drastically, it doesn't take much to "be better than last year".

Meanwhile in 10 years the US has gone from #18 in Math to #31 in Math in PISA scores.
"Oh but other countries have caught up to us." Actually they not only caught up but surpassed us.
Latvia gets better test scores than US students.

Just remember that these students that didn't really learn and got passed on will someday be in charge.
One of the main reasons we will be sending our future kid to a Waldorf school. I would much rather them spend time learning and being educated rather than just taught how to pass the next test. I am happy I made it through public schools before standardized testing took over.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,733,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Again what does that have to do with the school in question? Were accusations were made of specific athletes?
Just saying it is not relagated to black people.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,029 times
Rachel Jeantel is your answer if we have a problem with our school system.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,712,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
You cannot make this stuff up, how sad that they think they have to lower the standards. Is there any one that thinks this is Ok. So a degree from this school if your black is worthless IMO.

EXCLUSIVE: Public university unfairly raising grades of black students, say three former faculty members
it is interesting to me that SACS declined to investigate the matter

i'm not sure what their bias is here

it is even more interesting that WSSU FIRED this woman (who is white) for speaking out against the practice.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,581,607 times
The federal gov., took over student loans, for a reason, to coincide with lowering the bar to get more to take out loans from them.

Nice racket.
The Don would be proud.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
One of the main reasons we will be sending our future kid to a Waldorf school. I would much rather them spend time learning and being educated rather than just taught how to pass the next test. I am happy I made it through public schools before standardized testing took over.
Do whatever it takes to send your kids to private school K-12.
I'm in the middle school level (6-8) and these kids can't tell time (analog clock on the wall), can't read cursive, can't multiply, don't know any formulas (perimeter, area) and treat a 2 part test question (part A and part B) as a multiple choice answer (they turn in paper with either A or B circled and I have to point out that each one is a separate problem requiring an answer).

Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Rachel Jeantel is your answer if we have a problem with our school system.
And she's not an edge case or extreme minority of K-12 education.
There's more and more like her than people realize.
And it's not limited to Blacks either.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And she's not an edge case or extreme minority of K-12 education.
There's more and more like her than people realize.
And it's not limited to Blacks either.
true have you seen buckwild

Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,405,208 times
This happens pretty regularly at HBCUs. I doubt it was the professors just raising grades of Black students on a whim. What probably happened is a group of Black students got poor grades and begged, pleaded and in the more sinister cases I've personally heard of traded sexual favors for a higher grade. Usually Black women students do this at HBCUs.

It's kind of an open secret surprised folks are hearing about it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies