Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm all for that.
I just noticed you said the same thing a few posts ago. I don't understand how people think equal interest rates for all degrees makes any sense. That would be like offering the same mortgage rate to someone regardless of their credit history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:39 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
There are going to be lot of Americans going to Canada for college soon.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
The leftists in higher ed are crippling the brainwashed with debt.

lol.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why don't we tie student loan rates to the probability of payback? If you are pursuing a petroleum engineering degree from a top-ranked school, pay under 3%. If you are going after a woman's studies degree from a tier-4 school, you should pay 15%. Use student loan rates to hedge the risk of not paying back the loan upon graduation.

Additionally, the government needs to get out of the loan business completely. The more the government tries to get involved, the worse the problem ends up becoming.
So you're going to punish someone for what field of study they choose to go into? What kind of messed up mentality is that?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
So you're going to punish someone for what field of study they choose to go into? What kind of messed up mentality is that?
I am not punishing anyone. No one forces you to borrow money for college. That person can wait to go to college until they save up enough money, or they can go part time while working another job. Issuing loans is a business, not a charity. A person who is studying something with a low probability of payback is punishing him or herself. What kind of messed up mentality is it to punish a business just to let someone study art history?

Go to a library and pick up a few history books instead of spending money to learn it.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Given the evidence in Post #22 it may be time to institute price controls on both public and private universities to keep costs, such as extravagant stadiums and coaching salaries, along with general administration overpayment, under control based on the COL or some other measure of societal costs. Prices of textbooks also need to be managed as the monopolistic system has driven textbook costs through the roof. Perhaps mandating that texts be available on line at cost through a electronic download would help.

When the private system has failed to regulate prices do to monopolistic abuses the government must step in to provide the equivalent of a functioning market.
All of the big name university athletic programs are self funded institutions. Those stadiums and coaches, even if offensive, are paid from revenue completely separate from academic funding. That money comes from TV, ticket sales, donations, and licensing sales. None of this money has anything to do with academic funding.

When a university has 5 X the number of applicants for each spot, it is no wonder that costs rise.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am not punishing anyone. No one forces you to borrow money for college. That person can wait to go to college until they save up enough money, or they can go part time while working another job. Issuing loans is a business, not a charity. A person who is studying something with a low probability of payback is punishing him or herself. What kind of messed up mentality is it to punish a business just to let someone study art history?

Go to a library and pick up a few history books instead of spending money to learn it.
You do realize that a higher interest rate makes it FAR harder to pay back a bill than a lower interest rate, do you not? Whether the person has a high paying job or not. So you're going to raise the rate on say a history major & then when they have a problem paying it back in a timely manner, and yes they're still making payments & working, you're going to point fingers & say "See? I told you that degree was worthless, they can't pay their bill!" What a backwards mode of thinking.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
I think society and taxpayers do not owe it to every citizen to be able to pursue their college dream in a field with no demand for those graduates.

When the media (and politicians) whine about how American needs to compete with China and (insert country here) they are talking about math, science, and engineering. We don't need any more humanities majors. It is not in our best interest to create college graduates with high debt and no job to repay their loans. In that case, we just created a very expensive unemployed but educated person.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have 2 nieces that went to private out of state colleges.
They have loans $80-100K and neither are working in their field of study.
Neither can afford a new car or a home for many years to come.
Since the aggregate loan limit is for subsidized and unsubsidized loans is $57,500 for undergraduates federal loans can hardly be THE problem when it comes to setting the aggregate cost of tuition. That doesn't mean that loan and grant subsidies do not provide some incentive for colleges and university to distort the price of a college education but clearly students and their parents are factoring in more than simply costs when making decision about which colleges or universities to attend. There is simply to much competition and too varied a level of costs to argue that any one factor comes into play. As the above example indicates, the loans taken out far exceed what student federal student loans provide and did not dictate the choice of going to more expensive schools than would have been available through a public and local college or university.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You do realize that a higher interest rate makes it FAR harder to pay back a bill than a lower interest rate, do you not? Whether the person has a high paying job or not. So you're going to raise the rate on say a history major & then when they have a problem paying it back in a timely manner, and yes they're still making payments & working, you're going to point fingers & say "See? I told you that degree was worthless, they can't pay their bill!" What a backwards mode of thinking.
Higher interest rates are a disincentive for people to enroll in that degree in the first place. They are a way of equalizing human capital across fields so that there are less shortages and abundances of graduates in different fields of study. The goal should not be to have cheap college for everyone, the goal is to push people into degrees where there is a need. The system I proposed would motivate someone to major in computer science and simply spend weekends reading up on history, instead of majoring in history in the first place.

It isn't a college's fault if you have trouble paying back the loan. I try not to blame the business for a consumer's poor decision. Tell me - if I walked into Best Buy and put a $4,000 flat screen TV on a credit card and then couldn't pay the bill, whose fault is it, mine or my credit card company's? I say it is 100% my fault, your logic would blame the credit card company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies