Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,101 times

Advertisements

I've met many people who tend to describe themselves as Libertarians - fiscally conservative, socially liberal, believe in individual freedom, and all for a minimal centralized government. And I actually respect many Libertarian thoughts to varying degrees. My observation is that Libertarians do seem to be a mix of left and right viewpoints but overall seem to support the right. After all, I find most Libertarians do support the Republicans at election time. Do you think its appropriate to view Libertarians more as a subset of the Republicans or do you believe they are distinct enough to stand alone as neither Republican or Democratic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
I definitely don't vote Republican or Democrat during elections. I can only speak for myself though . . .

Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

593 posts, read 470,526 times
Silly party affiliations divides us all on the REAL issues.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I've met many people who tend to describe themselves as Libertarians - fiscally conservative, socially liberal, believe in individual freedom, and all for a minimal centralized government. And I actually respect many Libertarian thoughts to varying degrees. My observation is that Libertarians do seem to be a mix of left and right viewpoints but overall seem to support the right. After all, I find most Libertarians do support the Republicans at election time. Do you think its appropriate to view Libertarians more as a subset of the Republicans or do you believe they are distinct enough to stand alone as neither Republican or Democratic?
I am a libertarian and do not support either party. I feel that the Republicans have sold out to the religious right (and I feel that the Tea Party is a bit too schizophrenic and tied to the religious right as well). It is my opinion that Republicans are just as bad as Democrats in forcing their "way of life" down our throats. I am not Christian, I am not a family guy, I don't want kids (and I don't want my life to be dictated by the needs of your kids). I also am not that concerned with preserving "culture, language, borders" that Republicans love to preach about - it just doesn't effect my daily life. I am an ethical and moral person in my daily dealings with other people, but I also like to have a "live and let live" attitude. If I could base my life on any person (or character), it would be the Dude in the Big Lebowski.

I don't vote for Democrats that often...frankly it boils down to the lesser of two evils or a third party (which I do sometimes vote for).

Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
We tend to side with Republican because we believe being fiscal conservative and maintaining a small government are the key to liberty.

Whether or not you like to have sex with a man or a woman or a bunch of them, not my problem either way.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,120 times
Republicans are like democrats, except they love big government on social issues instead of economical ones.

Libertarians don't like it involved in any of them.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,965 times
Since Republicans historically are much bigger spenders than Democrats and expand the size of the federal government much more than Democrats (Demorat presidents are then forced to "clean up" after a Repub prez), and since Republicans feel the government should probe woman's vaginas and tell gays who they can and cannot marry, a libertarian voting GOP is like a Jew voting for Hitler.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Only to people who don't know what defines a Libertarian...or a Republican for that matter.

Which is why true Libertarians avoid any possibility of confusion and identify as Anarcho-Capitalists.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Quote:
As someone who is socially liberal

Economical conservative

and doesn't think the president does much/impacts economy

You can see that the items that a president can impact . .. well it tends to be more social

I consider Bush and Obama to be shades of each other, except on a few key social issues

i'm not happy with either party

Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Libertarians are Republicans that like to smoke weed, and support abortion and gays, but only a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies