Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on which parts of the north you are talking about. In my experience in New York or New England you will find negative attitudes towards the south and southerners. In Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa people may not like its' history and may be ambivalent towards its' modern day culture but they are still nice to individual southerners. People in this part of the country are taught from an early age to be decent and respectful to others.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM

107 posts, read 113,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it's just a totally different culture and background of people basically. the south has always been mainly people of english-scot/irish ancestry and the northeast was a mix of dutch and english. the fact that people have a different dialect has an effect on how people view one another too. even tho george washington was a native southerner, the people from the south were more loyal to the british before independence and on top of that wanted to secede from the united states. that's why you see more monuments and memorials to george washington and the fathers of this country up north more than down south. that's what pisses northerners off about people who have southern culture and ancestry i guess.

if it is not political perspective more than anything, you tell me what it is.

i hope this doesn't make you upset tho. that's just how history played out.
CURRENT politics isn't the reason. People in the North talk about 'those racist Southerns' and hide their bigotry behind the politically correct bigotry of Hating Haters. But I know that's a big load of crap. When people from the North dig into the details of their hatred it's not about racism, it about the food, the accents, And most of all, the belief the southerns are STUPID is pervasive. The different dialect isn't the reason it's the excuse. The visceral hatred for the simple word, "Ain't" is global. This bigotry runs deep, deep, deep.
You are the first person I've seen look past the stereotypes for a real answer. Not being from the Northeast I don't hear enough of the exchanges to even attempt to decipher it. I only know it's not a dislike, it's not a disapproval, it's a hatred.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
This thread is flawed from the get-go as the OP seems unable to distinguish between fact and opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post
Northern States have an irrational hatred of Southern Culture. This hatred has NOTHING to do with slavery or the the civil war or racism in general. This bigotry predates the Mason Dixon Line.
That said, I'm sure it will have a bit of shelf-life as there seems to be no end of folks who enjoy using this forum to nurse imagined or otherwise ginned up grievances.

Enjoy

Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
CURRENT politics isn't the reason. People in the North talk about 'those racist Southerns' and hide their bigotry behind the politically correct bigotry of Hating Haters. But I know that's a big load of crap. When people from the North dig into the details of their hatred it's not about racism, it about the food, the accents, And most of all, the belief the southerns are STUPID is pervasive. The different dialect isn't the reason it's the excuse. The visceral hatred for the simple word, "Ain't" is global. This bigotry runs deep, deep, deep.
You are the first person I've seen look past the stereotypes for a real answer. Not being from the Northeast I don't hear enough of the exchanges to even attempt to decipher it. I only know it's not a dislike, it's not a disapproval, it's a hatred.
Sounds like someone doesn't like the north. And the south fries things that really shouldn't be fried or eaten at all, like butter sticks, or steak.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
If you're discounting the slavery/civil rights connection of the past, and red state/blue state divide of the present, then you're probably talking primarily about blue-collar, rust-belt towns and cities. I think it goes back to an era when southerners first moved north to get jobs in the factories. Southerners sounded different and brought their culture (music, food, language usage) with them. So, they were competing for jobs with the locals, and were easily identifiable as being "different". The tendency would be to denigrate the "rubes" as a way of asserting a status difference. It's the kind of thing that can stick around through the generations.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Why do you think so many Northerners have moved down South? It's all part of our plan to send thousands of people down there, blend in and at a future date the trap will be sprung and we'll get rid of all of those Southerners we have such a massive hatred for. All in one quick swoop.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think it depends on which parts of the north you are talking about. In my experience in New York or New England you will find negative attitudes towards the south and southerners. In Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa people may not like its' history and may be ambivalent towards its' modern day culture but they are still nice to individual southerners. People in this part of the country are taught from an early age to be decent and respectful to others.
Absolutely. I've heard from a lot of friends who relocated south over the years that there was outright hostility towards northerners at times, which is frankly shocking to me, since I've never heard anything beyond some ribbing with relocated southerners here. The OP seems like someone who hates the North and is projecting his/her hatred on us. I love Memphis, Austin, New Orleans and other southern cities quite a bit.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sounds like someone doesn't like the north. And the south fries things that really shouldn't be fried or eaten at all, like butter sticks, or steak.
Hmmm. The fried butter sticks are an Iowa thing, AFAIK, and I don't recall Iowa being a part of the original Confederacy. As for Country fried steak, does it pass muster if we call it Wiener Schnitzel instead?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Quote:
You're from the South but you're a Chicagoan? IL is one of the worst states from my experience. Could you please give more details about your POV?
I am from Miami (although Miami is not considered to be deep south) moving to Philadelphia.
I heard some in Philly, but most in NYC among my circle of friends. Esp. after the Paula Deen case broke out, they were making fun of her. And I am not talking about only my white friends, but also Asian, African-American and Hispanic. They all like to make fun of southerners. I often wonder that this is because people in the North have this view that people down South are uneducated, racist, homophobic and those type of "holy-than-thou" Christians.
But this is again a stereotype.
But dont feel bad because alot of people in Philly and Pittsburgh metros despise those reside in the middle of PA. That's where the term Pennsyltucky comes from I guess.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
What a weird thread. This irrational hate doesn't exist on a cultural level. I'm sure there are a few people in the Northeast who don't like the South for stupid reasons, and there are plenty of people in South who feel the same way about the North.

I'm originally from Boston and anytime someone would say something bad to a Southerner, it was usually said as a joke. I also attended college in South Carolina, and most times any one said anything negative about the Northeast to me, it was also as a joke.

You're being extremely irrational by giving one example of a guy who you met and then just assuming everyone is like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies