Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Reading is fundamental...

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

The Culture of the Southern United States, or Southern Culture, is a subculture of the United States that is perhaps America's most distinct, in the minds both of its residents and of those in other parts of the country. The combination of its unique history and the fact that many Southerners maintain—and even nurture—an identity separate from the rest of the country has led to its being the most studied and written about region of the United States.

From its many cultural influences, the South developed its own unique customs, literature, cuisine and musical styles (such as country music, bluegrass, rockabilly, southern gospel, jazz, blues and rock and roll).

Culture of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Culture of the Midwestern United States

Category:Culture of the Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh please...Wikipedia bullsh*t?

A load of tripe. There's nothing special about the South that can't be found anywhere else in similar abundance. Give it a rest.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
No offense taken. My poor liberal, tree hugger, carpetbagger, Jewish/agnostic family never stood a chance. If only Google had existed in 1990! They just saw housing prices on large lots for far cheaper than the condo they owned in an iffy secondary city in Massachusetts, and were sold. We were pioneers for the waves of immigration that came later. My brother and I really didn't tell our parents what happened at school or with our friends unless it got really bad - otherwise we probably would have moved out. We first moved to North Forsyth and eventually ended up right on the Forsyth-Fulton border where it was much better. I do wonder if my view of the South would be more positive if I had grown up in Roswell or Marietta where transplants had started to move in the early 80s.

It's not as bad now but my parents still hear a lot of it. Last time I was home 3 years ago, I was at my childhood dentist's for a cleaning when the dental hygenist told me that she liked Barack Obama, but couldn't accept him as president because of his name because it's not "American". First of all, I don't believe in talking politics to a virtual stranger... but then to say THAT. Oh, I was miffed. On that same visit, the woman making our subs came running out from behind the counter when my mom mentioned I was moving back to Boston, grabbed our hands, and prayed. That's why I haven't been back since. As recently as 2008, the high schools still did not allow a Gay-Straight Alliance or a Humanist club even though at my high school, there were at least 4 Christian clubs (which is what sent my younger brother out of state permanently as well). My parents still get hate mail sometimes, but not nearly as frequently as when I still lived there.

It's validating to know that others recognize what an absurd place Forsyth was up until recently. I feel total whackaloo crazy when I try to discuss my experiences with friends, significant others, and even therapists.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And this gives blacks the right to be racists huh? Hmmmmm good reasoning on your part. By the way this is 2013 in case you want to catch up with the times.
No you didn't.

You're kidding me with that question, right? The ENTIRE issue of racism rests on the savagery with which whites treated African Americans over the majority of years of this country, and YOU are whining that whites have the right to scream racism?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh please...Wikipedia bullsh*t?

A load of tripe. There's nothing special about the South that can't be found anywhere else in similar abundance. Give it a rest.
There are most certainly regional cultures with very distinct customs, dialects, food, expressions, and, yes, attitudes. Frankly, I'm incredulous that anyone would maintain there are not. The measure of this is not whether you can find similarities in certain areas of the different cultures.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
No you didn't.

You're kidding me with that question, right? The ENTIRE issue of racism rests on the savagery with which whites treated African Americans over the majority of years of this country, and YOU are whining that whites have the right to scream racism?

A reading comprehension course may be helpful to you. I am not whining about anything much less the right of whites to scream racism. I am saying it is not only whites that harbor racism like the other poster wants us to believe. All races have racists among them. Now deny that. BTW, the entire issue of racism does not rest on the way some whites treated blacks. it is far more complicated than that. Racism is not only a black and white issue.

Last edited by Scotty011; 07-05-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
No offense taken. My poor liberal, tree hugger, carpetbagger, Jewish/agnostic family never stood a chance. If only Google had existed in 1990! They just saw housing prices on large lots for far cheaper than the condo they owned in an iffy secondary city in Massachusetts, and were sold. We were pioneers for the waves of immigration that came later. My brother and I really didn't tell our parents what happened at school or with our friends unless it got really bad - otherwise we probably would have moved out. We first moved to North Forsyth and eventually ended up right on the Forsyth-Fulton border where it was much better. I do wonder if my view of the South would be more positive if I had grown up in Roswell or Marietta where transplants had started to move in the early 80s.

It's not as bad now but my parents still hear a lot of it. Last time I was home 3 years ago, I was at my childhood dentist's for a cleaning when the dental hygenist told me that she liked Barack Obama, but couldn't accept him as president because of his name because it's not "American". First of all, I don't believe in talking politics to a virtual stranger... but then to say THAT. Oh, I was miffed. As recently as 2008, the high schools still did not allow a Gay-Straight Alliance or a Humanist club even though at my high school, there were at least 4 Christian clubs (which is what sent my younger brother out of state permanently as well). My parents still get hate mail sometimes, but not nearly as frequently as when I still lived there.

It's validating to know that others recognize what an absurd place Forsyth was up until recently. I feel total whackaloo crazy when I try to discuss my experiences with friends, significant others, and even therapists.
My family and I moved down from NY to Central Florida at a time when there were still separate water fountains, separate entrances to doctors and dentists, stuff like that.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,275,428 times
My company sent me to Philadelphia after Hurricane Katrina to their operations center there. Most of the people I met were nice, but a few let me know how inferior I was. The funniest thing that happened was in the exercise room of the apartment house we were lodged in. We are careful to bring wipes with us to clean the equipment after we used it. This is normal procedure where I live in the South. Despite this, the manager of the exercise room would wipe it off after we used each machine.

A number of people there also let me know that we were obviously stupid because we lived in an area that would get hit by hurricanes so we deserved what happened. Hello, Sandy.

I have traveled to the Midwest and Northeast. I have found bigotry toward the South only in the Northeast - Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. Perhaps this is only in the big cities?

I am quite content to live in the South and would never want to leave it. By the way, my town had no flooding during Katrina. But my company's building got flooded and wind-whacked good.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Wait a minute. Was it whites that were enslaved by African Americans, subject to Jim Crow laws, pursued by the KKK, etc. etc. etc. etc., or was it vice versa? I must be all confused!
Perhaps confused isn't the right word. Perhaps you are just living in a bygone era.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Perhaps confused isn't the right word. Perhaps you are just living in a bygone era.
Read my posts. Not so far bygone in the more rural South.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM

50,804 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
My company sent me to Philadelphia after Hurricane Katrina to their operations center there. Most of the people I met were nice, but a few let me know how inferior I was. The funniest thing that happened was in the exercise room of the apartment house we were lodged in. We are careful to bring wipes with us to clean the equipment after we used it. This is normal procedure where I live in the South. Despite this, the manager of the exercise room would wipe it off after we used each machine.

A number of people there also let me know that we were obviously stupid because we lived in an area that would get hit by hurricanes so we deserved what happened. Hello, Sandy.

I have traveled to the Midwest and Northeast. I have found bigotry toward the South only in the Northeast - Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. Perhaps this is only in the big cities?

I am quite content to live in the South and would never want to leave it. By the way, my town had no flooding during Katrina. But my company's building got flooded and wind-whacked good.
This is not bigotry toward the south. There is a different attitude in the NE, but it is not geared toward disliking southerners. Heck, even if Jersey itself, north Jersians have an attitude toward south Jersians and think we are rednecks, but we are still in the same state.

This is like saying "We're from South Carolina and went to France and they were rude to us, why do the French hate people from the southern U.S.?" instead of realizing they are that way to everyone. People are quicker and less patient up here, and I'm sure to southerners who are more laid back it seems rude, but it's certainly not personal and certainly not because you're from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies