Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM

107 posts, read 113,326 times

Advertisements

I went to Google to See if I could find any academic explanation for this hatred and it directed me back to this website.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...sgusts-me.html

I also found out that this Northern bigotry has been under examination for a long time.

Hatred to the South. - NYTimes.com
Hatred to the South.

Published: June 5, 1861

"Among the falsehoods industriously circulated by the rebel leaders and the rebel Press, to delude and stimulate their followers, is what they are pleased to term the "hatred of the South" on the part of the people of the loyal States, as if the war was being prosecuted to satisfy popular malignity against brethren of the same nationality and kindred of the same race. There never was a greater fallacy, a more wicked perversion, than this. That the people of the Northern States hate the treason of the South, and would not hesitate to punish the unprincipled leaders who have fomented it into rebellion, is entirely true. This is inevitable, growing out of, and is the converse of their love for the Union against which that treason is in revolt; but there is not, and never has been, in the Northern minds, any such passion as hatred to the South. The history of the past proves this, and the instincts of every true heart attests it. The North has always been in the majority, and yet the honors and emoluments of official place have been enjoyed by the South to an extent greatly beyond their numerical proportion. From the Executive chair down to the lowest place in the Federal Government, the offices have, in a large majority, been held by Southern men. In the Army, the Navy, the Judiciary, the Secretaryships, the Foreign Missions, the Consulates, the clerkships in the Departments, the South has always had a majority. The course of the Government, the policy of the country, have been shaped to meet the pleasure and promote the interests of the South. The North has sometimes protested against this favoritism; but the South has been importunate, and the North has yielded. If there was "hatred to the South" in the Northern heart, would this have been so? The forbearance of the people of the loyal States, their patient endurance of wrong and outrage before making an exhibition of their power, prove that they cherished no "hatred to the South." They saw the Federal property plundered, the forts, arsenals, sub-treasuries and mints seized by the Southern States. They saw treason arming itself, defying the power of the Government, and ready to strike down the Constitution. Against all this they contented themselves with remonstrating, in the hope that the South itself would see the madness and folly of its course, and return to its allegiance. To this passive endurance of wrong they were constrained by the love, and not the "hatred," they bore towards their brethren of the South. It was not until the booming of cannon came rolling up from Charleston, until treason grew into organized rebellion, menacing the Capital and essaying revolution, that they sprang to arms. Even then they were actuated by no "hatred to the South," unless to hate treason be to hate the South. They armed themselves to defend the Constitution, to protect the Union, and save the Republic from a rebellion at the wickedness of which the impartial historian will stand aghast. Though they have organized a mighty army, to be doubled, if need be, and its face is towards the Gulf, whither it will surely march, yet there is no "hatred of the South" stimulating its movements. It will march to the Gulf, not in hatred towards, not for the purpose of subjugating the people of the South, but, in the hunt after treason, to overthrow rebellion and subdue revolt, just as it would move East, or West, or North, if treason, rebellion or revolt lay in that direction.
The people of the South are regarded as our brethren, deluded, deceived, betrayed, plundered of their freedom of inquiry, of speech and of action; forced into opposition to the Constitution and treason to the Union against their instincts, their sober judgment and free volition, by bold, bad men. What is asked of them is to break away from their wicked and fatal leaderships and return to their allegiance to the Constitution; to take their place again among the States of the Union, place back the now veiled stars in their brightness in the banner of the Republic, and they will find a warm place in the Northern heart. They will encounter no animosities, be harmed by no malice. They will find this "hatred of the South" an idle phantom. They will discover that kindness and not hatred, fraternal feeling and not malignity towards them will pervade, as they always have the Northern heart. But the loyal army will march to the Gulf, if that be necessary to save the Union. It will march there not in hatred of the South, but to save the South even from itself. Its progress may be slow, and reverses may be encountered, but when a soldier falls two will take his place, and it will march to the Gulf."

Another interesting article related to North/South hatred.
For All of You Who Hate The South

Here is a bigoted tirade of a person who wants to know if it's "Normal" to hate the south. 75% of respondents think it is in fact normal to hate the south.
Is It Normal that I hate the South | Is It Normal? | http://isitnormal.com

Here is a Man who wants to know what Southerner hate about Northerners.
What do southerners hate about northerners? - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think it depends on which parts of the north you are talking about. In my experience in New York or New England you will find negative attitudes towards the south and southerners. In Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa people may not like its' history and may be ambivalent towards its' modern day culture but they are still nice to individual southerners. People in this part of the country are taught from an early age to be decent and respectful to others.
Being taught a different way to display your hatred doesn't mean the hatred isn't there or any less.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
why are you so worried about it in 2013?
southerners have always had disdain
for northerners too, so what is the difference?
you get back what you give out, all while
hatred for blacks is even worse from both
regions.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,802 times
I wouldn't say its a pervasive thing in the North, but I have noticed on C-D and from other people that there are certain negative stereotypes about the South that are actually believed as fact. Several C-D posters are just more blunt about telling you that the South isn't good enough. I've seen several threads where Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami have been attacked purely because they aren't like the North. There does seem to be less of an attack on Northern cities than Southern cities; Philly doesn't get picked on as much as Atlanta. And this is more of a Northeastern thing, not Midwest. I think some of the old beliefs about the South, such as it being racist, conservative, overly religious, and uneducated are still thought of as true by some Northeasterners even though that time has passed. Generally speaking I think the NE and South are cordial with the occasional bickering.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,727,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post
Northern States have an irrational hatred of Southern Culture. This hatred has NOTHING to do with slavery or the the civil war or racism in general. This bigotry predates the Mason Dixon Line. This bigotry crosses party lines, it is NOT a Liberal vs. Conservative thing. I notice it more in people from PA. It's not just a disapproval, it's a hatred and a contempt, an almost visceral need to bludgeon Southerns to death.

How did this irrational hatred come to be and why is it allowed to continue?

Yeah! And Northerners are always making generalizations about Southerners!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post
Northern States have an irrational hatred of Southern Culture. This hatred has NOTHING to do with slavery or the the civil war or racism in general. This bigotry predates the Mason Dixon Line. This bigotry crosses party lines, it is NOT a Liberal vs. Conservative thing. I notice it more in people from PA. It's not just a disapproval, it's a hatred and a contempt, an almost visceral need to bludgeon Southerns to death.

How did this irrational hatred come to be and why is it allowed to continue?
The thing is that compared to the south, the northeast is generally a more progressive and economically advanced region of the country. There is nothing in the southern U.S. that is anything remotely like New York City.

However, this difference has been diminishing as southern cities have become more prominent and developed.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sounds like someone doesn't like the north. And the south fries things that really shouldn't be fried or eaten at all, like butter sticks, or steak.
Who doesn't like the North? I don't come from the Northeast but I have traveled there a few times and found it QUITE likeable. I loved the Climate, the vegetation, the ocean, the food is amazing. I did think it was strange as I drove from Philly to Bar Harbor that there were more Dunkin Donut shops than there were gas stations. I also thought it was weird that a waitress in Providence had no idea where Boston was or how to get to there, although she said she'd gone to Boston with her friends. It was funny.

Other than it's more expensive, I can't think of anything I really disliked about the North.

Were you trying to deflect?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The thing is that compared to the south, the northeast is generally a more progressive and economically advanced region of the country.

However, this difference has been diminishing as southern cities have become more prominent and developed.
The Northeast was NOT more economically advanced. there was a time when the north relied on taxes collected from the more wealthy Southern states to fund the U.S.

However, whether your statement is correct or incorrect it has nothing to do with the topic. Why would the North hate the South because they're less "advanced"?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I wouldn't say its a pervasive thing in the North, but I have noticed on C-D and from other people that there are certain negative stereotypes about the South that are actually believed as fact. Several C-D posters are just more blunt about telling you that the South isn't good enough. I've seen several threads where Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami have been attacked purely because they aren't like the North. There does seem to be less of an attack on Northern cities than Southern cities; Philly doesn't get picked on as much as Atlanta. And this is more of a Northeastern thing, not Midwest. I think some of the old beliefs about the South, such as it being racist, conservative, overly religious, and uneducated are still thought of as true by some Northeasterners even though that time has passed. Generally speaking I think the NE and South are cordial with the occasional bickering.

It's not political. People from the North on both sides dislike the South. Heck, I've seen Northern Racists talk about "stupid" southerners. This is a historical culturally ingrained hatred that has NOTHING to do with a perception that southerners are racists.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
As someone who lives in one of the most hated cities in the most hated state in the Union, I feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies