Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post
Northern States have an irrational hatred of Southern Culture. This hatred has NOTHING to do with slavery or the the civil war or racism in general. This bigotry predates the Mason Dixon Line. This bigotry crosses party lines, it is NOT a Liberal vs. Conservative thing. I notice it more in people from PA. It's not just a disapproval, it's a hatred and a contempt, an almost visceral need to bludgeon Southerns to death.

How did this irrational hatred come to be and why is it allowed to continue?
I have never noticed it, because it does not exist. I like to visit the South, but I would not ever want to live there. I can't deny that it's dark past is part of the issue.

As far as music and literature, some of my favorite artists and writers come out of the South.

In the North, many working and lower class whites love Rebel Flags and new country music.
There is no hatred or contempt.

The South is a sub-culture of American society. It does not threaten the rest of us. Wrong. There is no contempt.

On the contrary, I think that there is tons of contempt for "North East Liberal Intellectuals".

Old 07-03-2013, 03:20 PM

107 posts, read 113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
. . . . On the contrary, I think that there is tons of contempt for "North East Liberal Intellectuals".
There is hatred toward Liberal Intellectuals from WHEREVER they hail. Many would call that, "Speaking truth to power."

Old 07-03-2013, 03:39 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I'll be honest. I like to vacation in the South. I also love their literature. I love Rock n Roll ( which has Southern Roots) blues, some Gospel and old Country - Johnny Cash, and Patsy Cline.

Here is what I don't like

1. Rodeo - cruel
2. Greasy food - really hate it
3. xenophobia
4. the South's brutal past - slavery, lynchings, white citizens counsel and it's blue color cousin The Klan.
5. Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts, Jerry Falwell and other 2 bit phony sleaze preachers.
6.The culture of meat and Barbecue
7. That Old Time Religion - not good enough for me
8. Bull Conner and other Southern red necks Add Paula Deen
9. homophobia
10. Antisemitism
11. homophobia
12 tolerance of the intolerant - what Paula Deen did and said, what happened to Treyvon Martin, and the rewriting of history.
13. Football and hunting.

No, not all Southerners are like this. I have many Southern friends who don't feel this way. I have too many Southern relatives who do.

Give 'em a beer and they let it rip.

Oh, North East Liberal intellectual here too! The best colleges in America are in the North East, Northern Mid West, Pennsylvania, New England and California.

I don't hate Southern People and thank God for Falkner, Capote, O'Connor, Lee, Carson and many others.

But those things I listed? I don't like them.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post
There is hatred toward Liberal Intellectuals from WHEREVER they hail. Many would call that, "Speaking truth to power."
Hatred of any group is irrational. It's not normative to hate people because they are from NY or MA and attended highly selective colleges and value knowledge.

Progressive is not a bad word. Some things need changing. Like slavery.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I am from Miami (although Miami is not considered to be deep south) moving to Philadelphia.
I heard some in Philly, but most in NYC among my circle of friends. Esp. after the Paula Deen case broke out, they were making fun of her. And I am not talking about only my white friends, but also Asian, African-American and Hispanic. They all like to make fun of southerners. I often wonder that this is because people in the North have this view that people down South are uneducated, racist, homophobic and those type of "holy-than-thou" Christians.
But this is again a stereotype.
But dont feel bad because alot of people in Philly and Pittsburgh metros despise those reside in the middle of PA. That's where the term Pennsyltucky comes from I guess.
The term Pennsyltucky seems to apply to the vast area between Philly and Pittsburgh. There is a very big difference between the urban, usually educated and wealthy, and more cosmopolitan culture of, say, Philadelphia and the rural, almost abandoned area that exists along rt. 80 or even just outside the 'burbs. When I leave central Bucks county and go just into the next county, heck even to upper Bucks, I see a big difference between the 2. I am not saying one is better than the other.

The friends I have who have roots in the South take great pride in there Southern roots. They will get together to cook foods they grew up eating, listen to music, comedy, etc. I have never seen New Englanders do this.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'll be honest. I like to vacation in the South. I also love their literature. I love Rock n Roll ( which has Southern Roots) blues, some Gospel and old Country - Johnny Cash, and Patsy Cline.

1. Rodeo - cruel
3. xenophobia
4. the South's brutal past - slavery, lynchings, white citizens counsel and it's blue color cousin The Klan.
5. Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts, Jerry Falwell and other 2 bit phony sleaze preachers.
9. homophobia
10. Antisemitism
11. homophobia
12 tolerance of the intolerant - what Paula Deen did and said, what happened to Treyvon Martin, and the rewriting of history.

No, not all Southerners are like this. I have many Southern friends who don't feel this way. I have too many Southern relatives who do.

Oh, North East Liberal intellectual here too! The best colleges in America are in the North East, Northern Mid West, Pennsylvania, New England and California.

I don't hate Southern People and thank God for Falkner, Capote, O'Connor, Lee, Carson and many others.

For what it's worth, I have seen and experienced ALL of the things listed as being Southern when I lived in New England, and I was there for over 39 years. Those things listed are hardly unique to the South.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'm from the south and lived up north for years. Never saw it.

I never saw it, either, and I grew up and lived in the North 37 years.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:

1. Rodeo - cruel
3. xenophobia
9. homophobia
10. Antisemitism
11. homophobia

So, are you saying that the Culture of the North is better than the culture of the South?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
The North has long been seen as culturally superior to the South, though I am not sure how that started. Maybe its because in the early days of our nation, the wealth disparity between the North and South was much greater than even today. Since the founding on the country the economies of the Northern states and the Southern states have been very different. When the North was industrializing, the South was still mostly reliant on agriculture. The South didn't urbanize for the most part until after the dawn of the automobile age (with the exception of a few like Charleston and New Orleans). The Great Awakening, a religious movement which was responsible for giving us the Bible Belt, was mostly a Southern phenomenon. Early in this country's history people in the South had to develop an independent and individualistic mindset, which is why even today people care less about political correctness down here. It's all in all an entirely different mindset that dates back generations. That isn't something you can change overnight (for a more extreme example take a look at the difference between Western societies such as Europe and North America and eastern societies such as Asia). It's an entirely different worldview.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Hatred of any group is irrational. It's not normative to hate people because they are from NY or MA and attended highly selective colleges and value knowledge.

Progressive is not a bad word. Some things need changing. Like slavery.
Is hating Hitler and the Nazi irrational?
No one hates Liberals BECAUSE they are from NY or MA and/or attended highly selective colleges and value knowledge. Most people that hate Liberal intellectuals do so because most Liberal Intellectuals DON'T value knowledge. Instead they believe that simply by attended a highly selective college they are somehow magically intelligent, without having any respect for empirical data or actual knowledge. As long as the change isn't a return to intolerance and Fascism most would have no problem with change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies