Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM

107 posts, read 113,326 times

Advertisements

Northern States have an irrational hatred of Southern Culture. This hatred has NOTHING to do with slavery or the the civil war or racism in general. This bigotry predates the Mason Dixon Line. This bigotry crosses party lines, it is NOT a Liberal vs. Conservative thing. I notice it more in people from PA. It's not just a disapproval, it's a hatred and a contempt, an almost visceral need to bludgeon Southerns to death.

How did this irrational hatred come to be and why is it allowed to continue?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
So I am not the only one that noticed this. They seem to think it is all right to beat up on anything Southern and heaven help the one that defends being Southern.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
I'm from the south and lived up north for years. Never saw it.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM

I knew a man from a small town outside Pittsburgh who moved to CO. He was in a situation where a man with a southern accent was showing him around a building. He told me the entire time part of his brain was angry at listening to this ignorant southerner talking to him, so angry he had to resist the urge to make snide remarks about how stupid he was. He felt a desire to punch the man. The rational part of his brain kept reminding him that the southern male held a PhD and WAS incredibly smart.
Enduring a 45 minute tour with his own mind at war made him sick to his stomach and he actually threw up over it.

I wasn't shocked to hear his story at all. I'd already heard People from the northeast talk this way about southerners, just incredibly irrational hatred, like they have an obligation to physically beat southerners.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM

What two states? 'Down south' and 'up north' have different meaning to different people. As well, it's not evenly distributed. There are pockets of bigotry. The worst I've seen is PA from Pittsburgh to Philly, as well IL seems pretty bad.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'm from the south and lived up north for years. Never saw it.
You're from the South but you're a Chicagoan? IL is one of the worst states from my experience. Could you please give more details about your POV?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
history speaks for itself. that's why.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
history speaks for itself. that's why.

Can you speak for YOURself? What is that mean? If you're talking about slavery or the civil war, I've done enough research to know that's not the origin. It has nothing to do with Politics.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post
You're from the South but you're a Chicagoan? IL is one of the worst states from my experience. Could you please give more details about your POV?
I grew up in the south, moved to Chicago, and live in the south again. On the off chance I heard anything negative about the south it was a joke, not unlike the jokes I heard southerners make to people from the north who had moved down south.

It's just not something that I ever saw happen. I even have a slight accent and all that ever got me was dates with girls who liked the way I formed my vowels.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
it's just a totally different culture and background of people basically. the south has always been mainly people of english-scot/irish ancestry and the northeast was a mix of dutch and english. the fact that people have a different dialect has an effect on how people view one another too. even tho george washington was a native southerner, the people from the south were more loyal to the british before independence and on top of that wanted to secede from the united states. that's why you see more monuments and memorials to george washington and the fathers of this country up north more than down south. that's what pisses northerners off about people who have southern culture and ancestry i guess.

if it is not political perspective more than anything, you tell me what it is.

i hope this doesn't make you upset tho. that's just how history played out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies