Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Listening to VTA over the weekend and the 'man on the street report' said that most Egyptians were fine with Americans but Obama and his U.S. Ambassador to Egypt, Anne Patterson, were viewed with much suspicion and contempt.

Ambassador Anne Patterson, the Controversial Face of America
Anne Patterson was controversial figure in Pakistan also where she was American Ambassador. In this video, Pakistani student refused to shake hands or receive prize from her in a function where Patterson was chief guest. Really sad.

Pakistani Student refuses to take award from US Ambassador - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Anne Patterson was controversial figure in Pakistan also where she was American Ambassador.
What kind of controversial things did she do in Pakistan. Don't expect all Pakistanis lick our boots, because millions people there are openly hostile towards the US. I don't know why you would try to make it about the US Ambassador.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said it was at an all time low, but now you say it might be lower than 2010? Arab countries simply do not view US and the West favorably. They never have, and never will, and this is why only 6% of Egyptians had a favorable view of US in 2008.

Perhaps you worry too much about being liked. They will never like us, and you might as well get used to that idea. We have been giving them money to support our own interests, not to make them like us. Mubarak liked us, or our money, but the Egyptians never liked because they always knew out money was going to Mubarak and to the military to purchase political favors. We hoped we could buy Morsi too, but obviously the Egyptians hated him as much as they hated Mubarak, so we will have to buy the next guy instead.
Worry about being liked by a foreign country? LOL I think our government is the one that worries.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
What kind of controversial things did she do in Pakistan. Don't expect all Pakistanis lick our boots, because millions people there are openly hostile towards the US. I don't know why you would try to make it about the US Ambassador.
Yeah, dropping drones in Pakistan and killing innocent men, women and children has really worked out well for the US. And look how Patterson bolstered Egyptian sentiment towards the US.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Can you quote some statistics about US approval ratings in Egypt in the past compared to now? Remember that Mubarak was a US puppet and they hated him too.

In 2008 the US approval rating in Egypt was 6%, so can you demonstrate how low it has sunk since then?
Interesting - you make a statement but with no supporting link and then ask for "proof" to disprove your statement. There is no "poll" that quotes the US approval rating in Egypt at 6%. There are only two polls for Global Attitudes - the Pew Trust polls and the Annual Arab Public Opinion, which is a Survey of the Anwar Sadat Chair for Peace and Development at the University of Maryland (with Zogby International). Pew Trust mostly polls attitudes toward Religion and local issues. What is usually referred to as "The Zogby Poll" is an annual poll.

2008 Arab Public Opinion - Survey conducted March 2008 in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia (KSA) and the UAE
This poll is always conducted with the same 6 countries - they issue results on some questions, both with and without Egypt. The large population of Egypt can skew the results. It's always interesting to read - I read it annually. The 2011 Zogby poll was horrible for Arab opinion toward the USA, 2012 is a little better, but not much (they are hoping for better things) - I think 2013 will go in the dumper. They really do believe that Obama and Ambassador Patterson favor the Muslim Brotherhood.
[quote]

As to the comparison between 2008 and now (the 2013 Zogby poll has not been released) but there is a recent Pew Poll that was released May 16, 2013. As you see .... Obama has a worse favorability than Bush did in 2008.
Quote:
Overwhelmingly negative attitudes toward America and Israel persist in Egypt. Just 16% have a favorable view of the U.S., lower than the 27% registered in 2009 shortly after President Obama took office, and lower than the 22% who expressed a positive opinion of the U.S. in 2008, President George W. Bush’s final year in the White House.

Only 26% say they have confidence that Obama will generally do the right thing in world affairs, while 72% lack confidence in the American leader. Ratings for Obama have steadily declined since 2009, when Egyptians were almost evenly divided on the newly elected American president.
Bottom line ..... you are wrong. I don't know what hill of beans it's makes to these Obama followers, but they seem determined to always make everything about the Evil Booosh. As Mrs. Clinton would say - "at this point, what difference does it make?" - Bush has been gone for over 4 years, Obama has the helm. Things are not going so well, the Blame Bush and "but look at Bush" is beyond old and shows great weakness for the current leadership.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Yeah, dropping drones in Pakistan and killing innocent men, women and children has really worked out well for the US. And look how Patterson bolstered Egyptian sentiment towards the US.
LOL, You just said you don't worry what they think, and you go right back to worrying about what they think. They WILL NEVER like us. Get used to it. I think it's too bad you see US as the bad guy.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Interesting - you make a statement but with no supporting link and then ask for "proof" to disprove your statement.
Yes, I'd like to see proof that our approval rating is at an all time low (as someone claimed), or that it's even lower than the 6% we 'enjoyed' in 2008.

Quote:
There is no "poll" that quotes the US approval rating in Egypt at 6%. There
are only two polls for Global Attitudes - the Pew Trust polls and the Annual
Arab Public Opinion, which is a Survey of the Anwar Sadat Chair for Peace and
Development at the University of Maryland (with Zogby International). Pew Trust
mostly polls attitudes toward Religion and local issues. What is usually
referred to as "The Zogby Poll" is an annual poll.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/118967/eg...rship-low.aspx

Right there in front of your very own eyes: 6% in 2008

Quote:
I don't know what hill of beans it's makes to these Obama followers,
but they seem determined to always make everything about the Evil Booosh.
Be honest, I didn't say anything about Bush, and I also didn't vote for Obama. I said Arabs NEVER liked us, and NEVER will, and that there is no point in worrying about how much they 'like' us. That's the liberal in you worrying about being liked or not liked. Nothing to do with Bush, it's just a fact of life.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
LOL, You just said you don't worry what they think, and you go right back to worrying about what they think. They WILL NEVER like us. Get used to it. I think it's too bad you see US as the bad guy.
Where is the rest of your chart for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Do you have a recent one for 2013 after Morsi was removed from office? I could be right about Egypt seeing as how the US popularity started to drop in 2012 and can't imagine it went up as of July 3, 2013.

Many Americans think that the US should mind it's business and stay out of the business of other countries. Obama has created a clusterfu*k in the Middle East. Any wonder why "they" will never like us? Too bad you don't have a problem with the mess Obama has created in the ME and his support for the radical Muslim Brotherhood - which the majority in Egypt do have a problem with.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWISH. That's the sound of your man's Middle East policy legacy going down the toilet.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Where is the rest of your chart for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Do you have a recent one for 2013 after Morsi was removed from office? I could be right about Egypt seeing as how the US popularity started to drop in 2012 and can't imagine it went up as of July 3, 2013.
The study was done on 2009, so the graph stops at 2009. You said the approval today is at an ALL TIME LOW, which would have to mean it is below 6%, and I asked you for a source, but you have not provided one.

You can yammer on about Obama, but he is not the topic and as an Ron Paul voter I do not feel the need to defend, or attack him on every thread. I am far more interested on the topic itself.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
[quote=Kibby;30447312]Interesting - you make a statement but with no supporting link and then ask for "proof" to disprove your statement. There is no "poll" that quotes the US approval rating in Egypt at 6%. There are only two polls for Global Attitudes - the Pew Trust polls and the Annual Arab Public Opinion, which is a Survey of the Anwar Sadat Chair for Peace and Development at the University of Maryland (with Zogby International). Pew Trust mostly polls attitudes toward Religion and local issues. What is usually referred to as "The Zogby Poll" is an annual poll.

2008 Arab Public Opinion - Survey conducted March 2008 in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia (KSA) and the UAE
This poll is always conducted with the same 6 countries - they issue results on some questions, both with and without Egypt. The large population of Egypt can skew the results. It's always interesting to read - I read it annually. The 2011 Zogby poll was horrible for Arab opinion toward the USA, 2012 is a little better, but not much (they are hoping for better things) - I think 2013 will go in the dumper. They really do believe that Obama and Ambassador Patterson favor the Muslim Brotherhood.
Quote:

As to the comparison between 2008 and now (the 2013 Zogby poll has not been released) but there is a recent Pew Poll that was released May 16, 2013. As you see .... Obama has a worse favorability than Bush did in 2008.

Bottom line ..... you are wrong. I don't know what hill of beans it's makes to these Obama followers, but they seem determined to always make everything about the Evil Booosh. As Mrs. Clinton would say - "at this point, what difference does it make?" - Bush has been gone for over 4 years, Obama has the helm. Things are not going so well, the Blame Bush and "but look at Bush" is beyond old and shows great weakness for the current leadership.
Good info.

My take: I believe there was a lot of hope in the Middle East when O came to power. With a Muslim name and some Muslim family history, along with his speeches the ME, overall, was hopeful to have someone who was sympathetic to Muslim people. With the drone attacks increasing since he took office and no firm support for one side or the other the hopefulness disappeared quickly. The biggest issue seems to be the people who O has appointed to positions in the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies