Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 AM

690 posts, read 964,113 times

Advertisements

Tremaine McMillian, 14-Year-Old With Puppy, Choked By Miami-Dade Police Over 'Dehumanizing Stares' (VIDEO)

I guess staring is a criminal offense now, esp if ur black, warranting arrest and animal cruelty.
http://www.change.org/petitions/drop...olding-a-puppy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
There is no call to treat that boy like that. That boy was under no obligation to tell them where and their aggressive posture would make anyone "stiffen-up" and tense. Their pd spokesman's explanation was even more pathetic. These officers should be brought up on assault charges.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Too bad no one was filming before the boy was subdued by the Police.

There's not enough factual information to draw any conclusions, here.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:44 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Not enough info in the story to be fully informed, but I find it telling that the mother put the emphasis on "no reason to take him down like that" instead of saying there was no reason for the officers to be confronting him. It seemed that she was acknowleging that her boy had done something to warrant the officers to have to talk to him in the first place.

The story that they wanted to talk to his parents and he did not want to tell them where they were, (he actually stated he wanted to lead them to his mother) would be interpreted by any sane person as resistance. Cops are wary of being lead into dangerous situations, so they need to know what is going on in advance rather than blindly following someone to another location.

Just based on these items, I tend to side with the cops so far. Perhaps they were rough, perhaps he was resisiting too much and they had to be be rough to be safe. I dont have to like police tactics to understand and realize how necessary they are for everyone's safety.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Too bad no one was filming before the boy was subdued by the Police.

There's not enough factual information to draw any conclusions, here.
True, but the PD themselves said that all he did was: not give them his parents name, he tensed up (with his fists opening and closing - and even though he was hold a puppy) and he gave them dehumanizing stares (whatever that means). If this is all they have, then they were wrong. They had no business harassing this boy to begin with. Even if they decided that this boy had to be restrained, then you order them to put their hands behind their back and you handcuff them. You don't jump the kids, thrown him on the ground, and then handcuff him. If he resists after you order him to put his hands behind his back - THEN you can take the extra measure. But, their position that this 14 year old (with a puppy in his arms) posed a threat to these two cops, is just ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The entire story isn't being told.

Why did the officers approach him to begin with ?

Well because he was slamming another kid into the ground.
Obviously his pit bull puppy wasn't all that important.
The cops were on ATVs and asked him about his parents.
He refused to answer and walked away.
The officers got off their ATVs and restrained him when he was about to cross the road.
He resisted and then the Huffpost story takes over.

Teen Says Police Overreacted To Incident « CBS Miami

Given that I do think the police overreacted.
Then again, LEs all over the country have been trained by DHS and the FBI to act this way now.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
So now add body language and stares to crimes for which you can be asaulted and arrested.
There is little doubt that we live in a Police State.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Many MANY of our youth today are just not socialized and respectful behavior and accountability is a foreign concept to them. So they act like little cave men to each other and others and then they encounter someone who won't tolerate it. If its another person, a civilian, a fight ensues. If its a cop, they go ape $%^& on them.
I can't say the police acted responsibly, they may have just wanted to teach the little twerp a lesson in respect. Too many youths look on the police as the enemy and haven't got the intelligence to really process that they aren't. Then again, police need to clean up their ranks and stop acting like jack booted thugs.
I'd bet anything the boys mother voted for a police state the last two elections so she really can't complain.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I had a cop years ago run up on me and get in my face at a quick trip store saying I was looking at him like I wanted to do something. He was wearing plain clothes and I'd never seen the guy before in my life or even recall looking at him. I almost slugged him because I didn't know who the hell he was. Half these cops are drugged up lunatics I think using their badge to bully folks. They give good cops a bad name that's for sure. It does seem the good cops are being outnumbered lately. Hopefully it's just a media aberration. Nowdays I don't want a cop anywhere near me though. It didn't' use to be that way.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
The below story happened a month before I was assaulted by State Troopers.

Rapper R. Prophet -- Graphic Post-Taser Photos | TMZ.com

But Prophet tells TMZ, it's all BS ... he was fully cooperative and cops repeatedly tased him for no reason as he laid helpless on the ground and handcuffed, adding, "I felt they were doing me like a slave. I thought I was dead." He also says when he was thrown in the back of the cruiser he was pepper sprayed and tased again.

Read more: Rapper R. Prophet -- Graphic Post-Taser Photos | TMZ.com
Visit Fishwrapper: Fishwrapper Home | Fishwrapper.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies