Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I've met many people who tend to describe themselves as Libertarians - fiscally conservative, socially liberal, believe in individual freedom, and all for a minimal centralized government. And I actually respect many Libertarian thoughts to varying degrees. My observation is that Libertarians do seem to be a mix of left and right viewpoints but overall seem to support the right. After all, I find most Libertarians do support the Republicans at election time. Do you think its appropriate to view Libertarians more as a subset of the Republicans or do you believe they are distinct enough to stand alone as neither Republican or Democratic?
We are neither Republican nor Democrat. Oh we agree with one party or the other on occasion, but the Libertarian is a very different animal from both. For one thing, Republicans and Democrats are fiscally retarded. Oh they say the right things and all, but neither is willing to pony up and make a balanced budget happen.

You don't need a big government to tell you that you are free. You can tell yourself that. Neither Republican nor Democrat can truly be taken seriously about reducing the size of government.

People don't need to be protected from themselves and doing so never actually works. The War on Drugs is a big fat waste of time. Neither party actually believes that either.

The USA should not be responsible for playing world policeman at the cost of trillions of dollars. Neither Democrat nor Republican actually believe that either.

The United States federal government runs up a ridiculous amount of debt running social programs that are horribly mismanaged and constantly being defrauded. They would be better off being run by state and local governments where excesses, corruption and waste could be better targeted and eliminated. Neither big party believes in that either.

I think we vary greatly on social issues but we all tend to agree that matters should be decided at the state level and not the federal level. The Constitution gave very little power to the federal government and yet the federal government takes a massive amount of power for itself that the Constitution never gave it. If American really wants this behemoth, we ought to at least be required to amend the Constitution in order to make it legitimate.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 07-03-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Because Democrats are always wrong while Republicans are wrong sometimes. :-)

When has Ron Paul been wrong about this nation and the direction we are headed?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I've got a FB friend who insists he's libertarian yet anytime I post something political, he is quick to bash the democrats. I have never, not even once, seen him say anything negative about republicans. Not one single time, it is always the democrats. Therefore, based on him & a few others who claim to be libertarians, I believe they're really just conservatives.
I like to call those people Glenn Beck style faux libertarians. In reality, they are just authoritarian Republicans embarrassed by the antics of religious fundamentalist nutballs like Bachmann and Santorum.

The people that always vote GOP and consider themselves pro-life, anti-gay marriage, support US involvement in foreign wars and call for building a border fence and rounding up immigrants for deportation are not in any way libertarians. It doesn't matter how many times they say they are.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I like to call those people Glenn Beck style faux libertarians. In reality, they are just authoritarian Republicans embarrassed by the antics of religious fundamentalist nutballs like Bachmann and Santorum.

The people that always vote GOP and consider themselves pro-life, anti-gay marriage, support US involvement in foreign wars and call for building a border fence and rounding up immigrants for deportation are not in any way libertarians. It doesn't matter how many times they say they are.
nope. as it stands now, those are democrats.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
nope. as it stands now, those are democrats.
Really? I don't support wars, border fences or deportation.
What a conundrum now.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Really? I don't support wars, border fences or deportation.
What a conundrum now.
Who did you vote for in 2008 and 2012?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
pwned.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Obama. As I said, I don't support wars, border fences or deportation.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Obama. As I said, I don't support wars, border fences or deportation.
why on earth would you vote for someone who adores all of those things? don't get me started about the spying program. jesus. another example of someone voting against their self interest.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
why on earth would you vote for someone who adores all of those things? don't get me started about the spying program. jesus. another example of someone voting against their self interest.
House Votes Against Obama Policy To End Deportations For Young Undocumented Immigrants

I didn't realize I could only vote for someone based on 3 things. Odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies