Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
OK, I'm not going to pick apart hyperbole but I really don't believe either side is trying to destroy anything. I think both sides really believe their ideas are for the best. And I think most people on both sides respect that even if they don't respect the actions. The GOP here in NC did not cut unemployment benefits because they hate the unemployed. They had four choices and all of them were bad. Do I like the cuts? No. But they feel things will get better with the new plan. If they are right then people will have their jaws dropped and saying "holy cow they were right for once". In this case that's a pretty big block of voters. And if they are unemployed they will have time to vote. In other words, goal one is to stay in office. Ticking off 300,000 people does not fit well if they are wrong.

I certainly don't agree with the thinking of the GOP wanting veterans to go to hell or eat out of a dumpster. We can talk about solutions if you want but your statement is hyperbole and I'm not responding in kind.

But the one thing that I am interested factually is what cuts are being made to veteran benefits? That's one of the things I'm interested in advocating for.
This is the middle ground argument -- that everyone has good intentions, they just differ on approach.

If Republicans said the earth was flat, this argument would say, 'Democrats think the Earth is round, Republicans think it is flat, they just differ on the shape of the planet.'

The Republican NC decision to cut off unemployment insurance and to reduce it for those already in the program isn't just a policy difference, it's indefensible, mean-spirited and stupid -- as it also short-changed NC from federal unemployment funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is the middle ground argument -- that everyone has good intentions, they just differ on approach.

If Republicans said the earth was flat, this argument would say, 'Democrats think the Earth is round, Republicans think it is flat, they just differ on the shape of the planet.'

The Republican NC decision to cut off unemployment insurance and to reduce it for those already in the program isn't just a policy difference, it's indefensible, mean-spirited and stupid -- as it also short-changed NC from federal unemployment funds.
You didn't answer the question on veteran benefits.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
X2, The thread topic is a lie and should be named "The reality of the right wing policies"

Reagan slashed funding for mental health substantially and the right wingers have been following suit since.

After their years of attacks, in this day unless you have a rolls royce medical plan, you can go to hell if you have mental issues.

Thanks GOP!
What's oblamer done for mental health issues? I'd think he'd be all over it, especially after that mentally ill kid pulled his stunt in Newtown, Ct. Oh, that's right, he put goofy biden in charge of the situation, all is well.
And what are bidens tactics as far as addressing our seriously lacking mental health system?
Smaller magazines and buying shotguns. Stupid idiot.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
What's oblamer done for mental health issues? I'd think he'd be all over it, especially after that mentally ill kid pulled his stunt in Newtown, Ct. Oh, that's right, he put goofy biden in charge of the situation, all is well.
And what are bidens tactics as far as addressing our seriously lacking mental health system?
Smaller magazines and buying shotguns. Stupid idiot.
Do you support more assistance and safety nets for mentally ill and homeless people??

I'm very surprised, I thought you were against government giving more assistance to the poorest people in our society.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Mean spirited??? With all the wonderful job creation that is going on right now and the fact that the liberals are insisting we need to bring 11 to 30 millions illegals into the legal labor pool shows that there is no excuse anymore to have unemployment handouts encouraging laziness.

Liberals are saying we have a huge labor shortage so the illegals need to be made legal so they can take jobs that employers cannot find American workers to do.

Maybe the mentally ill Americans can take the jobs the illegals will no longer be doing once they are handed their legal status, there's no reason the mentally ill cannot pick lettuce.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Do you support more assistance and safety nets for mentally ill and homeless people??

I'm very surprised, I thought you were against government giving more assistance to the poorest people in our society.
You're confusing poor people and lazy people.
And, I'll add, you don't have to be poor to be crazy.
How did you even come up with that? You make no sense.
So, what are bidens tactics anyway?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
X2, The thread topic is a lie and should be named "The reality of the right wing policies"

Reagan slashed funding for mental health substantially and the right wingers have been following suit since.

After their years of attacks, in this day unless you have a rolls royce medical plan, you can go to hell if you have mental issues.

Thanks GOP!
Conservatives give 30% more money to charities than liberals. While you sit around asking someone else to help people, some of us are out there trying to change things. Take a page from the right wing book and actually do something to help them.

Liberals - 'bleeding heart tightwads'

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I'd also like to see the proof that more poor people are mentally ill than are rich people. Sounds like another way liberals want to stigmatize the less wealthy.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Conservatives give 30% more money to charities than liberals. While you sit around asking someone else to help people, some of us are out there trying to change things. Take a page from the right wing book and actually do something to help them.

Liberals - 'bleeding heart tightwads'
Like fighting funding for the VA?
Who provides their political affiliation when they donate?
No one.
And, are you counting church contributions as charities?

Proposals to slash VA funding are withdrawn at last minute - Defense - GovExec.com
Three amendments submitted this week under the name of Minority Leader Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, to the House Rules Committee would have sliced proposed fiscal 2011 Veterans Affairs Department funding by more than $52 million.

But all three amendments were abruptly withdrawn Tuesday, just moments before the committee was set to approve them for consideration Wednesday by the entire House.

The amendments had each been submitted to the Rules Committee Monday as possible changes to the proposed $77.3 billion fiscal 2011 spending bill for military construction, the Veterans Affairs Department and related agencies.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...nded-VA-Budget

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/02...-funding-cuts/
The WRONG Direction for Funding the Needs of America’s Veterans
Republicans’ proposed cuts will affect delivery of health care and timely benefits at the VA

Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Like fighting funding for the VA?
Who provides their political affiliation when they donate?
No one.
And, are you counting church contributions as charities?

Proposals to slash VA funding are withdrawn at last minute - Defense - GovExec.com
Three amendments submitted this week under the name of Minority Leader Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, to the House Rules Committee would have sliced proposed fiscal 2011 Veterans Affairs Department funding by more than $52 million.

But all three amendments were abruptly withdrawn Tuesday, just moments before the committee was set to approve them for consideration Wednesday by the entire House.

The amendments had each been submitted to the Rules Committee Monday as possible changes to the proposed $77.3 billion fiscal 2011 spending bill for military construction, the Veterans Affairs Department and related agencies.
I have shown you dozens of studies in other threads that prove conservatives give more than liberals. Additionally, a dollar of money given to a charity goes 3x as far as a dollar from federal programs. So what does that mean? That means that conservatives fight against programs that are ineffective while simultaneously giving money to programs that do more to actually help those in need.

So let me say it again, take a page out of the right-wing handbook and give more to charities instead of hoping the government can solve our problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies