Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:50 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times

Advertisements

Unemployed mentally ill veterans and citizens left in the streets to die.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
This has been happening in America for at least thirty years. What a ridiculous farce to try to claim it has suddenly started happening during the current administration. The reality is that the big change in this regard happened in between 1982 and 1985.
Quote:
The 1980s marked a period in which sweeping budget cuts led to a decline in services for the mentally ill. President Ronald Reagan helped institute a variety of cuts to social programs that affected a number of groups throughout the country. His administration supervised cuts throughout the decade that hampered support for the poor and mentally ill, among other groups. ... Reagan enacted the Alcohol, Drug Abuse and Mental Health Block Grant, which decreased funding by 30 percent in 1982, leading to major service reductions. ... By 1985 the federal funds provided to the ADMS Block Grant covered only 11 percent of agency budgets, while states’ responsibility grew to 42 percent.
[Source: Matt Birchenough]

It's amazing how far some will stoop to try to make a bogus comment they're expressing seem valid.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:07 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
I'm not going to watch the video but this issue is complicated and as bUU says has been with us for a long time. A lot of them are on the streets as their own choice. Not because they want to but because they have difficulty adapting to structure like living in a group home.

A lot of the people on the street now are Vietnam veterans. They are still fighting the war in their head. Tragically there's something like (less than) 800,000 current veterans waiting to be approved for benefits and the system is going to have a terrible time absorbing them.

And while it is on Obama to address things like this unforgivable backlog, he certainly isn't the one that created the factor that churns out disabled vets.

Where I live there is a moderate sized V.A. clinic. After waiting to get in to see a mental health professional the average time for follow-ups are 3 to 4 MONTHS. These are veterans that are seeking help voluntarily which is a good place to start.

I thought about our gun control debate and the too often shooting sprees and then I thought that these veterans are trained to kill. One can assume that many of them have weapons. They are coming forward and asking for help with their mental health and we can't provide it on a regular basis. Folks, here's your gun control. We're worried about mentally ill people with guns that know how to use them and some of them are coming forward but we don't serve them properly. And how is the system going to absorb another million people?

Yes the homeless problem is serious. No we are not leaving them in the streets to die. There are a lot of programs and that's why where I live the tend to stay downtown to be near resources. They know where to eat, shower, get a bus ticket and ding ding ding there are shelters too. But many of them are not interested in a fix. To get them to want that we need to deal with their mental issues first. But how? You just can't scoop them up, detox them, put them in thearopy and give them free housing.

It's more complicated than that but I encourage you to reflect on the stats and what I said about delays in mental health treatments. I hate to say we can fix it by throwing money at it but I think we can. Facilities aren't built overnight so we need to get started. It will cost a hella lot but we owe it to the vets to make them right as best as possible.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I think we are rapidly returning to our "survival of the fittest" roots.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:16 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This has been happening in America for at least thirty years. What a ridiculous farce to try to claim it has suddenly started happening during the current administration. The reality is that the big change in this regard happened in between 1982 and 1985.[Source: Matt Birchenough]

It's amazing how far some will stoop to try to make a bogus comment they're expressing seem valid.
X2, The thread topic is a lie and should be named "The reality of the right wing policies"

Reagan slashed funding for mental health substantially and the right wingers have been following suit since.

After their years of attacks, in this day unless you have a rolls royce medical plan, you can go to hell if you have mental issues.

Thanks GOP!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
X2, The thread topic is a lie and should be named "The reality of the right wing policies"

Reagan slashed funding for mental health substantially and the right wingers have been following suit since.

After their years of attacks, in this day unless you have a rolls royce medical plan, you can go to hell if you have mental issues.

Thanks GOP!
So what's the fix? Thanking them isn't going to fix it. For the homeless vets it's a problem no one has come with an answer for. Sure, some programs work but it's just a mess.

Money is a component and I'm not going to spend time this mornign charting the differences over the years and their impact though I'm sure there's a study somewhere.

Everything tends to go partisan here. Blame, make fun of, attack. Lord knows I see it from all sides since I enjoy birther talk.

It would be good to see something substantive. Maybe someone knows of studies or can find one that has some ideas.

I do think one of the tragic things is shutting down the hospitals and basically sending the patients (indirect) to jail. This wasn't just money decision but the fact that these facilities were awful places but instead of fixing them we shifted them to the streets and to the penn.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:26 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
So what's the fix? Thanking them isn't going to fix it. For the homeless vets it's a problem no one has come with an answer for. Sure, some programs work but it's just a mess.

Money is a component and I'm not going to spend time this mornign charting the differences over the years and their impact though I'm sure there's a study somewhere.

Everything tends to go partisan here. Blame, make fun of, attack. Lord knows I see it from all sides since I enjoy birther talk.

It would be good to see something substantive. Maybe someone knows of studies or can find one that has some ideas.

I do think one of the tragic things is shutting down the hospitals and basically sending the patients (indirect) to jail. This wasn't just money decision but the fact that these facilities were awful places but instead of fixing them we shifted them to the streets and to the penn.
The GOP's mindset is "Cut, cut cut! Cut everything! (except for handouts to the rich)"

When all these cuts come up for votes, the GOP wants to destroy everything the possibly can to help out the needy for education, heath care, housing, veterans benefits, care for the elderly, woman's care, help for the poor,.. the GOP wants to tell everyone to go to hell because the rich need every penny they can get.

The only thing we can do is use our constitutional right to vote to make sure no right wingers come anywhere close to an elected office.

If we had strong democratic control in the past, the vet would be in a care center to make sure he got the treatment he direly needs.

With the GOP mindset, that veteran should go to hell and sit there eating out of the dumpster until he gets thrown in jail.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
This has been happening in America for at least thirty years. What a ridiculous farce to try to claim it has suddenly started happening during the current administration. The reality is that the big change in this regard happened in between 1982 and 1985.

Yep.

Quote:

More yep.

Quote:
The GOP's mindset is "Cut, cut cut! Cut everything! (except for handouts to the rich)"

When all these cuts come up for votes, the GOP wants to destroy everything the possibly can to help out the needy for education, heath care, housing, veterans benefits, care for the elderly, woman's care, help for the poor,.. the GOP wants to tell everyone to go to hell because the rich need more money than they do.
Yet more yep.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
This has been happening in America for at least thirty years. What a ridiculous farce to try to claim it has suddenly started happening during the current administration. The reality is that the big change in this regard happened in between 1982 and 1985.[Source: Matt Birchenough]

As you said, blaming Obama for something that started over 30 years ago is indeed a farce, a misrepresentation and a lie.

Apparently, according to the right-wing, any problem in the world, no matter how long it has existed, is Obama's fault.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:

When all these cuts come up for votes, the GOP wants to destroy everything the possibly can to help out the needy for education, heath care, housing, veterans benefits, care for the elderly, woman's care, help for the poor,.. the GOP wants to tell everyone to go to hell because the rich need every penny they can get.

The only thing we can do is use our constitutional right to vote to make sure no right wingers come anywhere close to an elected office.

If we had strong democratic control in the past, the vet would be in a care center to make sure he got the treatment he direly needs.

With the GOP mindset, that veteran should go to hell and sit there eating out of the dumpster until he gets thrown in jail.
OK, I'm not going to pick apart hyperbole but I really don't believe either side is trying to destroy anything. I think both sides really believe their ideas are for the best. And I think most people on both sides respect that even if they don't respect the actions. The GOP here in NC did not cut unemployment benefits because they hate the unemployed. They had four choices and all of them were bad. Do I like the cuts? No. But they feel things will get better with the new plan. If they are right then people will have their jaws dropped and saying "holy cow they were right for once". In this case that's a pretty big block of voters. And if they are unemployed they will have time to vote. In other words, goal one is to stay in office. Ticking off 300,000 people does not fit well if they are wrong.

I certainly don't agree with the thinking of the GOP wanting veterans to go to hell or eat out of a dumpster. We can talk about solutions if you want but your statement is hyperbole and I'm not responding in kind.

But the one thing that I am interested factually is what cuts are being made to veteran benefits? That's one of the things I'm interested in advocating for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies