Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Easy solution: everybody is enrolled into Medicare, and the government negotiates what Medicare will pay for devices and medicines. That is a 300 million group health insurance plan, what doctor, hospital, or company dare say no?
How are the fewer and fewer taxpayers who have paid into Medicare going to afford the millions of new freeloading types added onto the program?

What would be better is to have everyone pay for all their routine health care, annual checkups, all screening tests and maternity care, because it's the big stuff people can't afford. Get the government to stop paying all the physician office visits for minor things. Allow people to buy just catestrophic insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 PM

13,604 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Fines for being overweight and smoking.

Why stop there? Fines for coffee and soda drinkers, candy and sugar eaters, fines on sun worshippers, fines on people who take part in dangerous sports like mountain climbing and sky diving all of whom take unnecessary risk.

Why not fines on alcohol drinkers, beer wine and liquor drinkers who risk the public to vehicle slaughter and risk alcohol related ailments?

Oh it is SO easy for YOU to target a smoker like me when you need to bring more tax dollars, just add a $1 tax to the evil smoker. Lets see how it feels WHEN YOU get singled out and lets see how YOU feel when others try to force you into a life style or out of it.

And poetic justice would be you come down with a medical condition that makes you gain weight , all of a sudden government starts fining you for being a "fatty" I bet you would have a cow while they call you a cow.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That doesn't sound like a good proposal. Government work is attractive to people with low educations, but good, capable people with high educational achievements leave for the private sector.
Not if there is no private sector alternative to leave for. If all health care workers were employed by a government monopoly where would they go that wouldn't involve changing careers?

Can a cop just leave government employment and still be a cop?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
This Obamacare appears to be a nightmare for all. Cut out all the CEO's and private jets and just create a national healthcare insurance plan.

All you have to do is present your ID card with your SS to get treatment.

Taxes pay the way. Keep all hospitals and clinics private, competing enterprises but payment comes from national healthcare.

Illegals/non-citizens get treatment but the US sends a bill to whatever country they came from. If they don't pay it, the US deducts that amount from any financial aid they send them.

Seems much more simple than Obamacare and I promise you it would cost all of us half of what this nightmare HC system/non system we have going now.

Let's give people free healthcare so they can stay healthy and get to work and make America a better country.
Why just being overweight and smoking? What about drinking, doing drugs, participating in risky sports/activities, sexual promiscuity, failure to exercise, failure to eat right....or any other behaviors that impact the cost of one's medical care?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:02 PM

13,604 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Maybe we should fine fair skinned blue eyed blondes like myself who live in tropical areas, because the risk of skin cancer is higher and that might make pull my finger have to pay more taxes. Or we could force relocate people like me to places like Washington state.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Not if there is no private sector alternative to leave for. If all health care workers were employed by a government monopoly where would they go that wouldn't involve changing careers.

Can a cop just leave government employment and still be a cop?
As I said, the gov has no standing to require people to work for them. American Dr's aren't driving healthcare costs though and no matter how you shift cost around the cost stays the same until there is competition introduced into the market.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How are the fewer and fewer taxpayers who have paid into Medicare going to afford the millions of new freeloading types added onto the program?

What would be better is to have everyone pay for all their routine health care, annual checkups, all screening tests and maternity care, because it's the big stuff people can't afford. Get the government to stop paying all the physician office visits for minor things. Allow people to buy just catestrophic insurance.
Freeloading types you say? Didn't realize 99% of America was freeloading Did you even bother to read the first page of the topic? I have the solution right there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That doesn't sound like a good proposal. Government work is attractive to people with low educations, but good, capable people with high educational achievements leave for the private sector.
Is that why the NHS has so many doctors working for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Maybe we should fine fair skinned blue eyed blondes like myself who live in tropical areas, because the risk of skin cancer is higher and that might make pull my finger have to pay more taxes. Or we could force relocate people like me to places like Washington state.
Stop thinking so black and white and slippery slopish all the time. What kind of tortured (il)logic is this?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
You ignore the significant amount of money that is currently spent on insurance premiums that doesn't pay for any health care. Money that is simply bled out of the system in the form of insurance company executive salaries and perks.

Health care providers could be paid at the exact same rates as today and it would still save a ton of money if the insurance companies were no longer taking their bite at the apple.
Quote:
Federal health care spending is expected to continue growing faster than the economy. In the near term, this is driven by increasing enrollment in federal health care programs due to the aging of the population and expanded eligibility. Over the longer term, excess cost growth (the extent to which growth of healthcare spending per capita exceeds growth of income per capita) is a key driver. Slowing the rate of health care cost growth would help put the budget on a more sustainable path. There is general agreement that technological advancement has been the key factor in health care cost growth in the past, along with the effects of expanding health insurance coverage and increasing income...
http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/651703.pdf

That's not even going to make a dent in the cost for healthcare.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Is that why the NHS has so many doctors working for it?
Naturally, I was talking about the USA. Though in the UK they make close to what our Dr's make with lower hours and lower educational costs. They also aren't going to be sued and their hospitals cannot collude to fix prices.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
This Obamacare appears to be a nightmare for all. Cut out all the CEO's and private jets and just create a national healthcare insurance plan.

All you have to do is present your ID card with your SS to get treatment.

Taxes pay the way. Keep all hospitals and clinics private, competing enterprises but payment comes from national healthcare.

Illegals/non-citizens get treatment but the US sends a bill to whatever country they came from. If they don't pay it, the US deducts that amount from any financial aid they send them.

Seems much more simple than Obamacare and I promise you it would cost all of us half of what this nightmare HC system/non system we have going now.

Let's give people free healthcare so they can stay healthy and get to work and make America a better country.
because it was easily seen that the supporters crafted a bill I which they would pay none of the cost. Those were liberals in favor so just think about those against would say. Beside what do you think it would cost to have government has middle man managing your healthcare insurance payments. Perhaps 40% eaten up by them do the payment for you. Or where you thinking to shift your payment cost and others to someone else? You do realise most larger employers actually self insure and are non-profit but it cost them average of 13k per employee. Mine is thru BCBS but they only manage the plan at for fee and the company is self insured with insurance to cover if budgeted amount for claims is gone over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies