Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you care about issues that don't affect you?
yes 34 61.82%
no 21 38.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Actually you are incorrect, as I have already shown you.
SSM in all 50 states would be a net gain for the system by about a billion dollars a year. But don't let facts get in your way.
hey that's awesome that you can post stuff about gay marriage! please do it in one of the 700,000 threads on the homepage. do you know any other issue? we've covered public education, property taxes, voter ID, etc. please feel free to discuss one of those.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I prioritize the issues on which I have an opinion. But I also vote for people based on whether I think they can actually do the job. If Obama agreed with me on everything I cared about I still wouldn't have voted for him in 2008 and that went for Hillary Clinton, too. Wasn't keen on McCain, either. None of them ran anything and we hand them the keys to the biggest executive job in the land?

Well, now Hillary has run the State Department -- poorly.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Being concerned with all things in the world, whether they affect my life, or not, is, for me, a mental/emotional overload, at times. For sure, issues like, a child that is fighting for his life in a hospital, or a family whose house burned, or hikers lost in the mountains, or a flood in some country that took lives is certainly with merit to be concerned about. But, if I were to concern myself with every event that came across the news, I would probably be a nervous wreck. Sometimes, a person needs to pull their circle of life a little tighter, and worry about what is immediate for them in order to function properly in life. I don't want to sound callous, but sometimes I have to leave the worry about things in this world to others, and concentrate my efforts toward sorting my own life out. I suppose there are people who have the fortitude to crusade for cause, after cause, but unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
hey that's awesome that you can post stuff about gay marriage! please do it in one of the 700,000 threads on the homepage. do you know any other issue? we've covered public education, property taxes, voter ID, etc. please feel free to discuss one of those.
If you don't want people to respond to your posts, then don't post.
I can respond to any post that I choose to. Sorry, but I will not allow you to post your lies unopposed.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Being concerned with all things in the world, whether they affect my life, or not, is, for me, a mental/emotional overload, at times. For sure, issues like, a child that is fighting for his life in a hospital, or a family whose house burned, or hikers lost in the mountains, or a flood in some country that took lives is certainly with merit to be concerned about. But, if I were to concern myself with every event that came across the news, I would probably be a nervous wreck. Sometimes, a person needs to pull their circle of life a little tighter, and worry about what is immediate for them in order to function properly in life. I don't want to sound callous, but sometimes I have to leave the worry about things in this world to others, and concentrate my efforts toward sorting my own life out. I suppose there are people who have the fortitude to crusade for cause, after cause, but unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.
you and I both. I basically am concerned with issues that affect me directly. would I like to see kids in africa have everything we have in this country? sure. it will never happen though, so I just don't think about it.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
If you don't want people to respond to your posts, then don't post.
I can respond to any post that I choose to. Sorry, but I will not allow you to post your lies unopposed.
it is not a lie. I believe you provided some link to a left wing blog. please explain how gay marriage is a money maker? a one time fee of $100 for a license is going to negate the billions spent in federal benefits? I don't think so.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
it is not a lie. I believe you provided some link to a left wing blog. please explain how gay marriage is a money maker? a one time fee of $100 for a license is going to negate the billions spent in federal benefits? I don't think so.
I posted a link to the CBO report, and findings. Goes to show that you don't even open links that disagree with your opinions.
Go read the report, it shows how the net gain happens.
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...exmarriage.pdf

Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I didn't vote on the poll.

Many of the issues that are not connected to me can end up being connected to me.

It is amazing to me the number of people who want to give a person the right to murder their offspring but they get all out of shape when a woman murders their children later on. Do you not realize there is no difference. Taking a life is taking a life whether the child is two days in the womb or ten years out. Your brain was given to you so you could think, use it.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I posted a link to the CBO report, and findings. Goes to show that you don't even open links that disagree with your opinions.
Go read the report, it shows how the net gain happens.
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...exmarriage.pdf
so a 10 year old report to a hypothetical is relevant why? look at the states with the highest tax burdens in the country. what do they all have in common? you do realize that there is state level taxation right?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
If it doesn't involve taxpayer money then I don't care.
Gay marriage is an example of an issue I don't care about.

I also now don't care about abortion issues since Texas dropped medicaid providers that perform abortions.

I don't care what society wants to deem moral or not as long as you don't ask me to pay for it with my taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies