Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

It is somewhat ironic that before BET the image of Blacks on TV were generally positive. Shows like the Jeffersons, Good Times and eventually the Cosby Show showed intact Black families of various socioeconomic backgrounds. BET did push negative imagery of Blacks but I don't think they are the primary reasons for negative stereotypes of Blacks in the general culture. Nowadays local news and shows like the First 48 probably do more to push negative stereotypes since it's real life.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why there should be a black backlash against BET | theGrio

Through the years, the BET Awards have become a staple of unhealthy and counter-productive broken black family fun. The show is as dysfunctional as those of who love to watch it, and the ratings turn out to be a major money maker for BET, who continues to line up the best artists in America. The problem for BET is that long ago when being founded by Bob Johnson, their soul was sold to the devil of modern American capitalism. Therefore, nearly every BET employee, executive, producer, and writer goes to bed wondering what damage he did to black America that day.

Like our broken financial system, I don’t blame BET employees for the problematic choices of the network, I blame the system and culture that has been established within BET over the past 30 years of its existence. Any employee who tries to fix the problem would surely be replaced by one who is willing to go along with the program.

And the more recent backlash against BET founder Bob Johnson came from some of his comments regarding his daughter's marriage.

This is the ultimate irony. Bob Johnson, co-founder of BET, a vehicle that has single-handedly tarnished the name of black American women all over the world, wants a “gentleman” for his daughter. Funny, because he’s made his fortune convincing black women that thugs, drug dealers, and gold teeth should be the standard of sexiness and allure for us mere-mortal regular black chicks.

SPEAK ON IT: Folks Are PISSED That BET Founder Bob Johnson Wanted His Daughter To Marry A "Gentleman"....While He "Pushed" Thugs & "Non Gentlemen" On Other Young Women Through BET | The Young, Black, and Fabulous
LOL were the Johnsons the only Black people at the wedding?

Old 07-04-2013, 03:20 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Why there should be a black backlash against BET | theGrio

Through the years, the BET Awards have become a staple of unhealthy and counter-productive broken black family fun. The show is as dysfunctional as those of who love to watch it, and the ratings turn out to be a major money maker for BET, who continues to line up the best artists in America. The problem for BET is that long ago when being founded by Bob Johnson, their soul was sold to the devil of modern American capitalism. Therefore, nearly every BET employee, executive, producer, and writer goes to bed wondering what damage he did to black America that day.

Like our broken financial system, I don’t blame BET employees for the problematic choices of the network, I blame the system and culture that has been established within BET over the past 30 years of its existence. Any employee who tries to fix the problem would surely be replaced by one who is willing to go along with the program.

And the more recent backlash against BET founder Bob Johnson came from some of his comments regarding his daughter's marriage.

This is the ultimate irony. Bob Johnson, co-founder of BET, a vehicle that has single-handedly tarnished the name of black American women all over the world, wants a “gentleman” for his daughter. Funny, because he’s made his fortune convincing black women that thugs, drug dealers, and gold teeth should be the standard of sexiness and allure for us mere-mortal regular black chicks.

SPEAK ON IT: Folks Are PISSED That BET Founder Bob Johnson Wanted His Daughter To Marry A "Gentleman"....While He "Pushed" Thugs & "Non Gentlemen" On Other Young Women Through BET | The Young, Black, and Fabulous
wow. did you see the comment section on this article? there are a lot of black folks in denial. it goes without saying that most dads who are real dads want a gentleman for their daughter, but it's not okay to then encourage other men's daughters to be with thugs and bums. same with Jay Z, Lil Wayne, and new daddy Kanye West. you know darn well they won't allow their daughters to be treated the way they treat women. wouldn't be surprised if they end up with some gentleman (read: white guy) like Robert Johnson's daughter.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
I agree! She and her then husband sold out for a quick buck instead of using BET to making certain that the network was representative of the best aspects of Black Americans. The vast majority of today's negative media imagery of Blacks was started or pushed on their network so they are fully culpable for most of what we see today.
I disagree. They had every right to sell out, and truthfully, even if they still owned it the programming would be no different.

That's because their competitors are scraping the bottom of the barrel, and BET has no choice but to do the same. They're giving the kiddies what they want.

Sad, but true. They can and WILL go to MTV and VH1 to get it...that's all there is to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
she's right. BET is pretty much garbage, though I like Kevin Hart's show (real husbands of Hollywood I think it's called). They definitely need more news shows and documentary type programs like TV1. Shows like Find Our Missing on TV1 are helpful and well made. Also, they should make 106 and Park more teen friendly and try to promote positive themes. And BET is not alone in the garbage can. MTV is a shell of what it once was, though Catfish is one of my guilty pleasures.
Exactly. BET is behaving no differently from its competitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The Viacom's Entertainment For Black People Network
Knew that you would post the most pithy comment...short, direct, and true as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It is somewhat ironic that before BET the image of Blacks on TV were generally positive. Shows like the Jeffersons, Good Times and eventually the Cosby Show showed intact Black families of various socioeconomic backgrounds. BET did push negative imagery of Blacks but I don't think they are the primary reasons for negative stereotypes of Blacks in the general culture. Nowadays local news and shows like the First 48 probably do more to push negative stereotypes since it's real life.
I actually love the First 48...I hate what it does for stereotypes, but if you really watch the show, it's totally fair racially.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I disagree. They had every right to sell out, and truthfully, even if they still owned it the programming would be no different.

That's because their competitors are scraping the bottom of the barrel, and BET has no choice but to do the same. They're giving the kiddies what they want.

Sad, but true. They can and WILL go to MTV and VH1 to get it...that's all there is to it.

Exactly. BET is behaving no differently from its competitors.

Knew that you would post the most pithy comment...short, direct, and true as hell.

I actually love the First 48...I hate what it does for stereotypes, but if you really watch the show, it's totally fair racially.
I like the show as well. It's sad to see lives ruined over things that really don't matter.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
ok. so weird looking. (this is about the pic that Cali Poppy posted)
Which one? What's weird about it? The one pic that she posted with no black people was odd. I guess they were seated in other sections? Frankly I doubt the Johnson's daughter has many Black friends her age.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM

347 posts, read 491,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It 'Reinforces Negative Stereotypes' | Kulture Kritic

When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening. Remember that little gem??? I sure do!! Youtube the video "Tip Drill", if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

I agree with her words in the article.......But she and her husband gave it all away.....I agree with her. But I also wanna tell her to sit down and shut her pie hole!

Read that full article.....tell me what you think.....
Why did the Johnson's sell in the first place. I don't know the full story but I do remember this topic in the media when BET was sold and wondered "WTF?" I guess they were living in the clouds all peaceful and rich and easy-going not knowing that there are people out there that just want money(meaning the one's that BOUGHT BET).

I can understand that the Johnson's probably worked long hours and worked hard and they probably just wanted to enjoy their success and wealth. BUT what they had wasn't just a cash cow, it was a legitimate channel that could have done GOOD for the black people that watched. How can they have dropped the ball by even THINKING of selling in the first place? BET could have been what Oprah's OWN is now and even better than OWN.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
it's funny since VH-1 and MTV celebrate black culture more than BET could ever. Having deep pockets must be the answer because BET is as "ghetto" as it gets. The Spanish people with Telemundo and Univision are laughing in the US.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Still waiting for someone to post proof that BET is any worse than its competitors.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
it's funny since VH-1 and MTV celebrate black culture more than BET could ever.
Guess who owns them all... Viacom.

Quote:
The Spanish people with Telemundo and Univision are laughing in the US.
Telemundo is owned by NBC Universal which is owned by Comcast. Univision, which is far superior is still owned by the original company.

Johnson, unlike the Johnson family that owns Ebony hasn't got crap to say about anything. He took the $3 billion and ran. He could have easily place day to day operations in the hands of someone who shared his vision (if he ever had one and I have my doubts) and had all the time in the world to go out and play, but he didn't.

So to Bob, enjoy your billions and shut the frack up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies