Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why do you hate the idea of allowing health plans compete across state lines?
Why do you feel children should be made to go to public schools even if the public school in their
area is a total mess ( i.e. Philadelphia ).
If you are so concerned about freedom, why not let the people decide what is best for their lives?
I assume you'll be posing that question to our Republican lawmakers in Texas who are on their second special session trying to ram draconian anti-abortion legislation down our throats by regulating abortion clinics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not the kid that gets the Fed money..it's the school.
Title 1 schools get more money.
The really bad ones use that money to hire security and/or teacher assistants so there are two adults in each classroom. Others hire community relations people, parent assistants that take the kids to the doctor, etc. during school hours. Most of that extra money goes to social and security issues.

I'm in Title 1 schools and have been in several over the past several years.
I've seen all the above being practiced at these schools.

You take the kid out of that environment and put them in a safer, more academically inclined environment and you don't need all that "extra" money. The kid is better off in the long run.

Money doesn't solve your problems here. The actual problems are occurring outside of the school and schools are using to the money to deal with the problems, not solve them.

There is a lot of technology in schools gotten by grants. Getting a grant has become such a big thing to schools that they have full time grant writers employed by districts and individual schools. That is this person's full time job..finding and applying for grants.
dont be stupid, the money is used to educate the kid, yes there is mismanagement in some schools, but stop pretending like every school in a bad community or just failing school in general are so because of bad money mismanagement, some schools in this nation are legitimately underfunded.

It also isnt "extra" money . My scenario clearly shows how the amount of money used to educate a child and give them academic opportunities can very greatly and vouchers because they are usually either an arbitrary allotted amount or a per student cost average screw those who's education cost the most and dont have transportation, and help those who's education cost the least . The kids left behind after "voucherization" are the ones who were already the worst off and no have it even worse.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Conservatives, why do you feel that lying about liberals is the only way to win arguments?
I would also like an answer to this one. I can't answer the question in the OP because it simply isn't true and just silly. Any one who wanted to have an adult conversation wouldn't start out this way. This is the norm from the right and they believe that insulting people will get them ahead.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Workplace injuries used to be commonly caused by bad operations which were going to have an unusual amount of terrible injuries and deaths. We rectified that , and the biggest driver was corps want lower insurance costs, so we have in place a free market incentive to promote workplace safety.
News to me.

Quote:
The fire at Triangle Waist Company on March 25, 1911 is widely considered a pivotal moment in history, leading to the transformation of the labor code of New York State and to the adoption of fire safety measures that served as a model for the whole country.
Instrumental in this transformation was the work of the New York Factory Investigative Commission, which wrote thirty-six of the new labor related bills that the state legislature eventually adopted.
Also significant is the work of local governmental agencies and unions, which adopted fire safety measures and monitored conditions in factories.
I'd say a big driver was the deaths of 146 people locked in a burning building.

Cornell University - ILR School - The Triangle Factory Fire - Introduction

Old 07-05-2013, 06:20 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
because killing inborn babies is ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I assume you'll be posing that question to our Republican lawmakers in Texas who are on their second special session trying to ram draconian anti-abortion legislation down our throats by regulating abortion clinics?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 AM

wow. its funny how you accuse the right of the very things the left does.
Don't project much do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I would also like an answer to this one. I can't answer the question in the OP because it simply isn't true and just silly. Any one who wanted to have an adult conversation wouldn't start out this way. This is the norm from the right and they believe that insulting people will get them ahead.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 AM

no no no no! Let me explain it to you more simply since you are still drunk with the Obama Kool-aid.
Giving the tax payers like you and me, average people, their tax money back so THEY can spend it as they see fit for THEIR benefit instead of the liberals in government spending it on failed programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Prove this. All the arguments I see against the corporate welfare you support involve either less money being left for the public schools and the poorer students who use them. Or they involve the fact that this is corporate welfare; why is it up to your government to provide customers to these private schools? Or that quality of these private schools will drop because they won't be allowed to tune their student body such that only students who score high are admitted. There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind.

But I've never seen one that states liberals oppose school vouchers because it means less control over the masses. Could you provide me with whatever it is that led you to believe this is the case? Because it sounds like another of the silly claims so many right-wingers make here regarding "what liberals think" to me. Which is to say, mindless drivel.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 AM

The Catholic faith? You obviously know nothing of faith.
People are allowed and supposed to express their faith openly.

If faith offends you, I can find many other things expressed openly in the public square the should be left in the privacy of peoples bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I think that the religion you practice and fund is best left as a private decision than a government one.

Don't you?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
The Catholic faith? You obviously know nothing of faith.
People are allowed and supposed to express their faith openly.

If faith offends you, I can find many other things expressed openly in the public square the should be left in the privacy of peoples bedrooms.
Read that poster's comment again, this time more slowly... he/she isn't saying it should be "kept at home," they're saying it's a private issue as opposed to a government one. They said nothing about expressing your faith in public, just that financially & legally speaking it shouldn't be regulated/supported by the government.

I don't know a single liberal who opposes religious freedom, and being allowed to express that religion in public. Matter of fact, most of the liberals I know ARE religious themselves... you do realize around 70% of American Jews vote Democrat, and probably close to half of Christians & Catholics do too? I'm more of an Independent-Libertarian myself, but left leaning on social issues, and I am a practicing (Reform) Jew.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
because killing inborn babies is ok?
What's an "inborn baby?" Is that like an ingrown toenail? Ouch.

If you really want to have the abortion debate, I think we have many threads you can piggyback or read... but the issue is government control, and those Texas abortion laws (proposals) were the exact opposite of "letting people do what's best for them." Not to mention, a waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies